Would You Have Made The Duchene Trade?

Would You Have Made The Trade?

• Total voters

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
The way I see it, it's Karlsson, Duchene, and Stone's team now. That's the core. And it's not a bad one.

Agreed, usually the 3 key positions are your top forward (usually the center), the top defencemen, and the starting goaltender.

Anderson is relatively old but I'm comfortable with this is as the top forward / top defencemen.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Assume Turris was not signing here at all or not att he rate he gave to Nash due to taxes, so yes I do this move, also enjoy that we are going for it rather than playing the future card.

It's amazing how quickly Turris has improved and Duchene has sucked the last 24 hours according to this site, many on the main board have done a complete 180 and it's entertaining to read. Nashville is being lauded as cup contender's with a solid center ice....and what about Ottawa....who was also right there and now has a stronger center ice, stronger than Nashville imo

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
Would have re-signed Turris and used Bowers, the first and the 3rd to add a top 6 player. I think the realities of the situation that we as fans aren't quite privy to influenced Dorions moves. Sens just dont have enough financial flexibility.

If we had the budget of a big market i think the sens keeps turris and add a top 6 forward.

I'm sure Dorion would've preferred to as well...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Assume Turris was not signing here at all or not att he rate he gave to Nash due to taxes, so yes I do this move, also enjoy that we are going for it rather than playing the future card.

It's amazing how quickly Turris has improved and Duchene has sucked the last 24 hours according to this site, many on the main board have done a complete 180 and it's entertaining to read. Nashville is being lauded as cup contender's with a solid center ice....and what about Ottawa....who was also right there and now has a stronger center ice, stronger than Nashville imo

Seriously.

A week ago, the main board din't think Turris was worth much of anything. now he's equal to Duchene in the eyes of lots of main board posters. Funny to read.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I feel like I have to post this every time we finally acquire the asset we desperately needed, but traded away picks for it.

SENSational

Mar 26, 2004
Ottawa
It all depends on how Duchene plays.

People on the main board love draft picks and prospects, and seem to think Duchene isn't that good. They are also not a reliable source of information since apparently Ottawa is the most boring team, yet they seem to be an expert on the sens and player valuation.

I really like the move, losing a first isn't ideal but Turris > Duchene upgrade is worth it especially since Turris wasn't going to be resigned.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
It all depends on how Duchene plays.

People on the main board love draft picks and prospects, and seem to think Duchene isn't that good. They are also not a reliable source of information since apparently Ottawa is the most boring team, yet they seem to be an expert on the sens and player valuation.

I really like the move, losing a first isn't ideal but Turris > Duchene upgrade is worth it especially since Turris wasn't going to be resigned.

People on this site always massively overrate picks and prospects. I mean, I guess it kinda makes sense, since it's called "hockey's future". But still...

Reactions: The Lewler

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, I would of. Turris was good for us but I think Duchene will be better. Sometimes you want something of value you have to give up value. I'm just glad we didn't have to give up White, Chabot or Brown to get Duchene.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
People on this site always massively overrate picks and prospects. I mean, I guess it kinda makes sense, since it's called "hockey's future". But still...

Maybe....but you have to admit, first round picks (at least) definitely have value. That is where most teams get the majority of their core players.

Now, folks crying about 3-to-7th round picks....that's a bit weird. You're doing really well if one of those picks per draft turns into a legit pro.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
We overpaid, but we got him without losing any of our blue chip prospects. We can stomach the loss of our 1st because we have 4-5 guys scratching the surface of making our lineup in the coming year or two, and we tend to draft well in the late rounds every year.

Suck to lose Turris, but if there was no way he was taking 6x6 from us, then I'm glad we pulled the trigger.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
One of the main reasons you want your organization to draft well is so that you can sometimes make deals by packaging up some of your redundant assets for high end known commodities.

Call me if we trade away the next two years 1st round picks, then I'll start to worry.

We have a plethora of high end talent banging on the door, who are going to be on their ELC's for the next couple years.

We didn't need to hit the draft hard this year.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
One of the main reasons you want your organization to draft well is so that you can sometimes make deals by packaging up some of your redundant assets for high end known commodities.

Call me if we trade away the next two years 1st round picks, then I'll start to worry.

We have a plethora of high end talent banging on the door, who are going to be on their ELC's for the next couple years.

We didn't need to hit the draft hard this year.
Yea but with that 3rd rounder we could've drafted someone elite

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
And we would have only had to wait 4 to 5 years to find out......Really we cant just play for prospects all the time

You think this would be obvious but it really isn't.

I've post this more times than I care to. Karlsson is not going to be "Karlsson" when he is 35. He will likely still be a very good defenseman, but the time to go for the win is now.

If it all goes to shit, then we get to head into rebuild mode in a couple years where some members here won't be able to stand up from their computer desks/couches for weeks with all the prospect hoarding and draft pick stacking going on.

I for one look forward to going for it, and then the inevitable rebuild down the road. It's the lifecycle of fandom.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I have more of a "take small edges as I can get them / incremental value in the aggregate" way of going about my own business.
I really want GMs to make trades that he thinks are best, including this one, even if it's a potential failure. I think both Brassard and Duchene are trades that Dorion wanted to make, so I'm happy he made them. If it's a bad trade, it becomes part of their legacy.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You think this would be obvious but it really isn't.

I've post this more times than I care to. Karlsson is not going to be "Karlsson" when he is 35. He will likely still be a very good defenseman, but the time to go for the win is now.

If it all goes to ****, then we get to head into rebuild mode in a couple years where some members here won't be able to stand up from their computer desks/couches for weeks with all the prospect hoarding and draft pick stacking going on.

I for one look forward to going for it, and then the inevitable rebuild down the road. It's the lifecycle of fandom.
Big time ...we cant always wait for that maybe stud to emerge from the lower level...While we spend millions on nhl talent

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
Yes for me. I don't like giving up the first rounder but I will admit that first round picks are extremely overrated on this forum. I'm glad that the pick is protected.

I was never sold on Turris as a #1 center, I do, however, think that he's a great #2. It's why I was particularly broken up about trading Spezza, who, IMO is(or was?) a true #1 center.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
My problem is that I would have traded for Duchene without including Turris but since it is what it is the answer is probably no. However, it's quite possible Duchene makes the team better & that's what is most important with any deal. If the team gets better after the deal is made & supposedly Ottawa got the best player in the deal & they got the Hammond contract off their hands then I think they did fine with this deal. I assume PD will make another deal or two to try & recover a pick or two, I suspect Wideman should be the next to be dealt.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It's hard to say without knowing what other options are out there at C. If there were no other realistic options, I would do this purely because creating a winning team that Karlsson will re-sign with is the top priority, and there's absolutely no situation where we could have liquidated Turris for futures and continued on this year and next year with Brassard and Pageau as out top 2 centres and still could expect Karlsson to be motivated to extend.

If any of you want the ultimate homer justification to deal with any stockholm syndrome this trade might be causing, because Dorion wasn't going to trade Turris (his words in the press conference, maybe BS), and (apparently) couldn't re-sign him, if that is true we ultimately gave up a 2018 1st/Bowers/3rd for a year of Duchene (since Turris wasn't being traded if we didn't make this move and was walking in 2018 as a UFA)....which when you look at it that way makes it a lot easier to swallow.

Dorion's scorched earth hyper aggressive style of trading so far is not sustainable long term, so I'd hope his current trades are more a consequence of where the Sens are at right now with their Karlsson forced window. As a budget team, we need draft picks and young talent in the pipeline to give us NHL talent on ELCs, and trading away all these assets will eventually snowball to the point where we handicap ourselves. So hopefully, after Karlsson is locked down and things are stable, Dorion (ironically a former scout) stops giving away picks like candy.

Extremely bad trade on paper, but I don't blame management for making it. They can't continue to sustain a budget franchise with trades like this, so hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come long term, or else the Senators will be in trouble. If Duchene is everything Dorion thinks he is, aka the last piece needed to make us a contender, he just got himself a steal. But I personally don't think that is the case.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3