Would You Have Made The Duchene Trade?

Would You Have Made The Trade?

• Total voters

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If we knew for sure that Turris wasn't going to re-sign with Ottawa, then I would've taken it (but really, really, really would've tried to turn that 1st into a 2nd).

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Not sure I would have had the balls to make this trade.

Make no mistake, it's a huge gamble. I'm personally just not much of a gambler, I have more of a "take small edges as I can get them / incremental value in the aggregate" way of going about my own business.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Pros:
Duchene is excellent at the dot, speedy, more creative, and can play wing. He's also signed an extra year. Also moving Hammond is good for our Goalie specs.

Cons:
Gave up a lot of futures; in Bowers I was hoping/expecting a 3rd liner, the 1st this year probably will be middle six hopeful. Turris was a great piece for us for quite a while.

Hard to decide. If 5 years from now the trade ends up being the equivalent of Turris, Smith (bowers projection) a late fist in the Puempel/Noesen mold, and a 3rd that never amonts to much, it will be a win. But, if Bowers develops into a Pageau, the 1st into a Silverburg or similar caliber prospect, it will hurt big.

I'm happy with it, but like any good trade, we had to give up something good to get something good..

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The fact that they protected any potential top ten pick in next June's draft def makes this trade more palatable. So yeah, I probably still make it.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The fact that they protected any potential top ten pick in next June's draft def makes this trade more palatable. So yeah, I probably still make it.

Things have to go terribly wrong for that protection to kick in. Honestly, I see it as a non-issue, then again, I thought the same after the Ryan deal, but both Spezza and Karlsson having off years killed that season.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I’m still having a hard time understanding it.

The big X factor is Turris’ future i guess, we just don’t know all the facts there. If it is true we wrrr going to lose him for sure then this makes more sense. But his 6x6 contract seems more than fair - it’s hard to see how we couldn’t do that but are going to turn around and sign duchene.

This feels like the Ryan trade right now

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
Tennessee's tax situation gives the Preds an advantage. I doubt KT does 6x6 here.

The Sens obviously desperately wanted Duchene. Time will tell whether he's much of an upgrade over Turris but he certainly has a lot of upside. From watching him under Babcock on Team Canada, I have no concerns about him being able to fit in on a tight-checking team.

My only frustration is that when the Sens want a player, they seem super willing to throw in extra assets. This reminds me of the Brassard and Ryan deals in that respect. Losing an extra pick or two here or there is ok, but when it happens consistently it hurts us in aggregate IMO. I have a hard time reconciling what we gave up in this deal vs what Nashville did.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
The player valuation was mind boggling. I can't believe how much Ottawa paid, I guess a 1B center isn't worth much. You think that we traded for Stamkos!

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Yes but I would have paid less. I would have employed advanced subversive negotiation techniques and I would have got landeskog as well.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Would have re-signed Turris and used Bowers, the first and the 3rd to add a top 6 player. I think the realities of the situation that we as fans aren't quite privy to influenced Dorions moves. Sens just dont have enough financial flexibility.

If we had the budget of a big market i think the sens keeps turris and add a top 6 forward.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
The player valuation was mind boggling. I can't believe how much Ottawa paid, I guess a 1B center isn't worth much. You think that we traded for Stamkos!

Lmao that's the problem on Hfboards. Draft picks have been inflated to ridiculous artificial values.

That package does not get you Stamkos, or Tavares, or any other top 10 center.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Lmao that's the problem on Hfboards. Draft picks have been inflated to ridiculous artificial values.

That package does not get you Stamkos, or Tavares, or any other top 10 center.

But it did get the Senators the next forward (in the 2009 draft) selected afterTavares.

Also opened up the back up spot in Belleville, for Hogberg, with Hammond and his 1.5 Million moved to Colorado.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Lewler

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Remember how pissed people were when we gave up Rundblad and a second for Turris?

Yes, and Rundblad ended up appearing in 113 NHL games, with 3 different teams, and has been playing in the AHL (2015-16) the Swiss A league (2015-17) and the KHL this season ...... Ottawa received 7 seasons (407 reg. season 43 PO games) of Turris, in the trade.................. not a bad return.

Reactions: The Lewler

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I don't know how so many people are voting yes (or no, for that matter) with the information currently available to us.

If Turris were willing to sign here for 6x6, I probably don't do the trade unless I'm 100% sure I can get Duchene to sign a fair extension.

At this point, I see two equally probable outcomes, as I don't think they will win a Cup in the next 1.5 years and don't really expect any tangible success:

1) Duchene signs a long-term extension and becomes a franchise cornerstone, and the #1C we've been missing since Spezza left.

2) Duchene isn't extended, and the team is left with very little to show for all of these assets going into 2019-20.

Basically, I think the outcome hinges on Dorion's ability to get Duchene signed long term.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Basically, I think the outcome hinges on Dorion's ability to get Duchene signed long term.

The outcome hinges on how Ottawa performs in the playoffs over the next two seasons.

That's the metric we're working with.

I see that you are pessimistic, but it's part of the "win-now" mentality that Dorion has adopted in light of Karlsson's approaching contract demands.

We keep hearing about how this team needs a #1 C, but they are rarely if ever available, and if they are, it's because something is wrong with them.

Ottawa rolled the dice on the only guy who is available. Do we really think that Bowers, the 1st or the 3rd would turn into a Matt Duchene? Of course not. Sometimes having a relatively full prospect cupboard gives you the flexibility to pull something like this off.

I think Dorion deserves credit for having the guts to go for it.

Last edited:

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
The outcome hinges on how Ottawa performs in the playoffs over the next two seasons.

That's the metric we're working with.

I see you that you are pessimistic, but it's part of the "win-now" mentality that Dorion has adopted in light of Karlsson's approaching contract demands.

I guess I just think that success is so unlikely that I think Duchene will need to be here long-term for this trade to look good.

Obviously if this team can pick up a Cup win, or a couple of ECF appearances or whatever, than it will have paid off. I just don't think that's very likely.

I really, really hope Duchene is here long-term.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I guess I just think that success is so unlikely that I think Duchene will need to be here long-term for this trade to look good.

Obviously if this team can pick up a Cup win, or a couple of ECF appearances or whatever, than it will have paid off. I just don't think that's very likely.

I really, really hope Duchene is here long-term.

Ottawa is going to have to pick the guys of the core that they want to go forward with.

It's too early to say who those players are going to be.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

- A first in the 11-31 range (team likely expects it to be in the 20-31 range)
- Bowers (a 27th OA pick that's considered a low upside, but safe projection)
- And a 3rd round pick

These are the pieces you thing could upgrade Turris to Stamkos... idk what to tell you, but if that's all Tbay wanted for Stamkos, he'd have been traded to 30 different teams already.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Ottawa is going to have to pick the guys of the core that they want to go forward with.

It's too early to say who those players are going to be.

That's true, but given how much they seemed to like Duchene, I can't imagine how poorly things would have to go over the next few months for them to be unsure about him as a core piece going into 2018-19.

The way I see it, it's Karlsson, Duchene, and Stone's team now. That's the core. And it's not a bad one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->