Speculation: Would you give Duchene 8M x 7 years in free agency?

Would you sign Duchene to a 7 year deal with an AAV of 8M?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Not sure where all the talk of Duchene at 7-8M is coming from.

To me as a UFA hes getting 10+. You guys should start adjusting your predictions based on something more realistic in regards to his salary if we go after him

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Not sure where all the talk of Duchene at 7-8M is coming from.

To me as a UFA hes getting 10+. You guys should start adjusting your predictions based on something more realistic in regards to his salary if we go after him

He went ppg in a season with inflated numbers where he was UFA.

On top of that it's not our most pressing need, and THAT would truly block Domi, Poehling, Kotkaniemi and Suzuki.

I don't know Duchene personally but there are so many red flags with him. The situation in Colorado, the taxi event, how he reacted when he scored 30g with the avs a few years back when it meant nothing, the HUGE dip in production he's had for a few years... people would commit 10M per long term for this player ? If you have a solid explanation to offer to dismiss all the red flags and you are convinced that this guy will indeed play like he is right now for 7 years in any setting, then by all means... but I'm just not convinced of that at all and I'm not sure the rest of the league is convinced either. Signing a player to 10M for 7 years is an act of desperation, insanity or trust. Trust is built over time. This last contract year of Duchene is not enough for me. But I'm not a GM.

EDIT:
More importantly I see Duchene as a Domi type. He can play easy minutes with lots of ozone starts behind someone who does the hard work defensively. He can look good in a scenario like that but he is not a real dominant center like Kopitar, Barkov, Crosby, Malkin, etc. I would not commit this type of cap space to a player like Duchene.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

On top of that it's not our most pressing need, and THAT would truly block Domi, Poehling, Kotkaniemi and Suzuki.

I don't know Duchene personally but there are so many red flags with him. The situation in Colorado, the taxi event, how he reacted when he scored 30g with the avs a few years back when it meant nothing, the HUGE dip in production he's had for a few years... people would commit 10M per long term for this player ? If you have a solid explanation to offer to dismiss all the red flags and you are convinced that this guy will indeed play like he is right now for 7 years in any setting, then by all means... but I'm just not convinced of that at all and I'm not sure the rest of the league is convinced either. Signing a player to 10M for 7 years is an act of desperation, insanity or trust. Trust is built over time. This last contract year of Duchene is not enough for me. But I'm not a GM.

EDIT:
More importantly I see Duchene as a Domi type. He can play easy minutes with lots of ozone starts behind someone who does the hard work defensively. He can look good in a scenario like that but he is not a real dominant center like Kopitar, Barkov, Crosby, Malkin, etc. I would not commit this type of cap space to a player like Duchene.

I'd probably be ok giving Duchene 10M+ yes. Highly skilled player and legitimate #1C (or at least - can be). He does have red flags though absolutely, and maybe that's reason enough to stay away, but considering we've had untouched cap space the past couple of years, i'd much rather take a risk on a star player then keep empty cap space.

My point wasn't so much to say we should offer him 10M though. What I'm saying is that - that's what it will take to get him to come to Montreal.

Why would Montreal be at the top of his list? I know we're a storied franchise but he hardly has ties with us. He seems to be doing well/happy in Columbus so maybe he stays there. Or maybe he goes somewhere low pressure like Arizona or Florida, or somewhere with nice weather like Florida again or California team...Or maybe he decides he absolutely wants a cup and goes to one of the top contenders...Montreal doesn't really have anything to attract him with other than $$.

It's a bit like Tavares last year. I know he signed in Toronto at 11M and didn't consider Montreal - but if he had agreed to meet with us and consider us, the contending offer from Montreal wouldn't have been 11M to get him, it would have had to be 13M+ for us to compete with Toronto.

Same idea here. If you guys realistically want a shot at Duchene - it's 10M+. Whether or not we feel we should go after him at that price is a different question.

Jul 6, 2016
Got a feeling Nashville will trade Subban and keep the $$$ to sign Duchesne.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

EDIT:

The situation in colorado? One might say Sakic was the one who made it public and took very very long to make a trade. It wasn't anyone's fault but it was like a dragged out pacioretty situation.

As for the taxi event. Do you really believe in private everyone is saying "MT is great. Julien does everything right!" Just like you at your job, sometimes you won't be your boss' big fan. It happens.

Duchene can play C/RW and domi can play LW/C so it just gives flexibility. I will say that if we sign him we'll have leverage to trade someone though.

Duchene is a stud, always has been. I've liked him since his draft year.

Now would i give him 10M+...that I don't know. To be he's a 1st line C but not a franchise C. I'd be happier with 9 million or less. Some might say it's overpayment anyway but we can sit and have no talented players or overpay by a million every now and then. I mean we have Alzner in minors and we're complaining about 1 mil. Who cares at that point.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Watching a Sportsnet video on Duchene sounds like he loves it in Colombus. Good odds he re-signs there
What’s he supposed to say? That he doesn’t really like living in Columbus? All players say they love any and every city they play for.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

EDIT:

except theres no easy minutes when you're matrched vs Bergeron in the PO... You're not watching the BJ/Bruins serie, it's obvious by the comments you made.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Domi-Duchene-Gallagher

This could be the best first line in the NHL
Funny guy, this Dave Chapelle.

th

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
What’s he supposed to say? That he doesn’t really like living in Columbus? All players say they love any and every city they play for.

Of course, we can all continue to fill in the reality of what players think whenever we feel like it to support our own narrative. Looks like it's totally acceptable from all the forums I read. Doesn't even matter if it makes sense or not.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Boston, Colorado, Calgary, Dallas, Florida, Washington and Columbus just to name a few

Domi 72 - Duchene - 70 - Gally 52
82 GP_______ 73 GP _______ 82 GP

Imagine theses 3 guys together all season, you can definitely add 10% + to their stats. hard to argue they wouldn’t be ONE of the best 1st lines in the league. And they definitely have the skill to be THE best line in the league for stretches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad