Would you extend Nyquist?

What to do with Nyquist?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NDetroitFan

Jan 9, 2017
Macomb, MI
Trade him and never look back. I have a strange feeling that the wings are going to look dramatically differently 12 months from now. You know there is going to be another high end prospect from the 2019 draft ( Hughes, Turcotte, Byrum).

Additionally, I could see Holland attempt a big splash I’m the UFA market by signing a center (Duchene, Seguin) and a D (Karlsson, Meyers) next off season. By my estimates the Wings are going to go into next free agent season with a huge pile of cap space.

If they LTIRetire Z (6.08M) and Franzen (3.9M) that’s almost 10M

Plus expiring contracts of Nyquist (4.75M), Vanek (3M), Frk (1M), Kronwall (4.7M) & Howard (5.3M) add up to another 18+M

Kenny would have all 28M of that to play with since the wings have no major RFA to take care of next year.

The cap situation only improves from there with another 10m that gets freed up when Green, Daly and Eriksson all go UFA after the 19-20 season. That should more than cover the RFA deals that would be needed by Mantha, AA, and Bert. Add to that Z’s LTIRetire hit of $6.08M and the expiration of the Mule’s $3.9 contract and you have nearly $20m free for those RFA deals and another piece....Trouba?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I would have traded him at the trade deadline to try to move up and draft a defenseman with the Vegas pick. I'm fine with drafting Veleno, however I would still try to trade Nyquist as soon as possible. I definitely don't want to go down the Ken Holland path where he holds onto Nyquist this season thinking it'll play a role in the team making the playoffs, and then when - surprise, surprise - we're one of the worst teams in the league, he holds off on trading Nyquist to "maximize" his trade value. Worked out real well last year with Green.

Trade him as soon as is practical. He's not part of the long term picture, by the time we are good again he'll be overpriced and his play will be trending downward at a rapid clip. We've seen this movie too many times to have not learned our lesson but we never do.

Reactions: Jon Cusack

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Trade him and never look back. I have a strange feeling that the wings are going to look dramatically differently 12 months from now. You know there is going to be another high end prospect from the 2019 draft ( Hughes, Turcotte, Byrum).

Additionally, I could see Holland attempt a big splash I’m the UFA market by signing a center (Duchene, Seguin) and a D (Karlsson, Meyers) next off season. By my estimates the Wings are going to go into next free agent season with a huge pile of cap space.

If they LTIRetire Z (6.08M) and Franzen (3.9M) that’s almost 10M

Plus expiring contracts of Nyquist (4.75M), Vanek (3M), Frk (1M), Kronwall (4.7M) & Howard (5.3M) add up to another 18+M

Kenny would have all 28M of that to play with since the wings have no major RFA to take care of next year.

The cap situation only improves from there with another 10m that gets freed up when Green, Daly and Eriksson all go UFA after the 19-20 season. That should more than cover the RFA deals that would be needed by Mantha, AA, and Bert. Add to that Z’s LTIRetire hit of $6.08M and the expiration of the Mule’s $3.9 contract and you have nearly $20m free for those RFA deals and another piece....Trouba?
I like the general idea here. I am not thrilled about going the UFA route for a center but I'm not dead set against that move. If we can get an elite 1C on an ELC in next summer's draft and if we can throw a max contract at Karlsson you can start to see the beginnings of an interesting team. Not a Cup contender, but at least a team that can be pretty dynamic and dangerous with the right coach. We'd be set at center and have an elite PMD. Get one really good shut down d-man and then you see how your forwards and depth d-men develop over the next couple years. Could be set or you could start to make some trades - assuming we have a GM who isn't scared of making trades - and address whatever needs we have at the time.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
As much as I like Nyquist, whom I still think highly of and would do much better on a good team, I think trading him is the best option just based on potential value.

That said, I wouldn’t mind keeping him for another two to three years for second line scoring/depth on a solid contract until some of the younger guys grow into more efficient players. I still think he can provide 40-50P consistently if the Wings were good. And I like players who have skill that we end up drafting. I genuinely don’t see any harm in keeping him if we can’t get good value out of him.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Have to move on. Nyquist will be looking for a long term deal and the Wings aren't in a position to lock up a 30 year old winger when the team has enough young wingers coming up.

No interest in signing him for 5+ years at 5m/per. I am really concerned that Holland will waste more cap space on a 40 point winger with zero upside.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Trade him and kick the tires on resigning him. If he doesn’t want to resign after being traded, that’s cool. But I’d rather have Nyquist at that term and cap than like a third of the team on their term and cap, and he’s more useful than that third too.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Been a fan of his since he played at Maine, but it’s time to trade him.

Take the highest pick you can get, or look to pick up one of these D prospects on the low like Honka.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
100% think we should trade Nyquist at the TDL.

In regards to next year, I like Nyquist and would love to see him back, but if his asking price is anywhere near 5x5, I would pass. Now if he was willing to sign for say 4milx3, I bring him back in a heartbeat, but that's not happening.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Trade him obviously.

Also genuinely curious how anyone thinks Nyquist is worth anything more than 4.5m, any team that gives him more than that at more than 3 years will seriously regret it.

Since signing his current contract, he's pretty much an average 2nd liner who produces underwhelming numbers for his usage, and has really poor playoff record. We have enough 30+ year old vets locked up to questionable contracts, no need to add another.

Reactions: Oddbob

ChelisChiliBar

Feb 26, 2018
I wouldn't be opposed to re-signing him if it was short term, but it wouldn't be, so in that case trade him. Let him be some other team's albatross.

Reactions: kliq

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Have to move on. Nyquist will be looking for a long term deal and the Wings aren't in a position to lock up a 30 year old winger when the team has enough young wingers coming up.

No interest in signing him for 5+ years at 5m/per. I am really concerned that Holland will waste more cap space on a 40 point winger with zero upside.

They will need his gritty veteran presence when Justin Abdelkader's contract expires in 40 years.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If he wants long-term, probably would not re-sign. Really like him and would be sad to see both Tatar and Nyquist essentially only be part of bad years, would certainly consider him on a ~3 year deal.

Reactions: kliq

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Wings are already jammed up at wing.

... That being said, I can see Holland signing him back for "Veteran Leadership."

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
eh I guess there's worse things Holland could do next offseason than bringing Nyquist back

don't think it makes a lot of sense though so I wouldn't do it,and either way he should be traded

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Man, how quickly we went from complaining that Nyquist was blocked by veterans to fearing the thought that Nyquist will be re-signed as veteran depth.
I know you understand why things changed and why his current status as a player now doesn't necessarily justify how he was brought up earlier, so I don't understand what point this observation is supposed to make.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Man, how quickly we went from complaining that Nyquist was blocked by veterans to fearing the thought that Nyquist will be re-signed as veteran depth.

LOL. Nyquist who wasn't ready for the "men's league" is the only reason your beloved playoff streak didn't end a couple years earlier. The clear takeaway is that the "veteran leadership" we are paying a premium for had no discernible impact on the quality of the team.

So there's no conflict with wanting Nyquist on the team when he was one of our best options - certainly better than Bert, Sammy, Tootoo and Eaves - and not wanting to make the same stupid decisions we've made with countless vets who are overpriced relative to what they bring to the team.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
My real answer is a sound NO! He doesn't drive the bus, and he doesn't produce enough in any category to be worth his current contract, let alone a much higher one. 40 pts for a non physical, nothing special defensively player is actually quite bad. If he put up 20 goals and was a gem in his own end, then maybe, but he really brings very little to the table the past 2 seasons.

Reactions: CaptainZetterberg40

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I know you understand why things changed and why his current status as a player now doesn't necessarily justify how he was brought up earlier, so I don't understand what point this observation is supposed to make.

Seems to me it was simply a comment regarding the cosmic irony of Nyquist's situation; no need to look further for an ulterior motive.

LOL. Nyquist who wasn't ready for the "men's league" is the only reason your beloved playoff streak didn't end a couple years earlier.

Wow. So you're saying it wasn't your playoff streak as well? You weren't cheering for the team during that time? Neat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad