Would you either: Keep Looch, Trade Loui or Trade Looch, Keep Loui?

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
This guy gets it.

Seguin
Iginla
Boychuk
(Lucic or Eriksson)

Cap space cap space cap space.... Yet Kelly is still in Boston collecting pay checks??? Bizarro World

Kelly will be gone and has nothing to do with Loui and Lucic. Dealing Kelly is a Cap space move.

If Loui and/or Lucic are dealt, it won't be because of Cap space. It wasn't either with Boychuk. It will be because their salary demands are too high for Sweeney so you move them instead of losing them for nothing. Yeti should have been dealt for that same reason...

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
No offense, but I am getting pretty tired of the "player X represents what a Bruin should be" rhetoric.

Cam Neely speak at its finest. Too bad it's flawed.

That mentality is what caused Bruins to rashly trade Seguin who didn't "fit the mold," for defensively responsible 2-way guys like Loui and Smirh. How's that working out?

I wonder how many people felt in January that Antoine Vermette was exactly what a "Blackhawk" represents. Doubtful, but those 3 GW are sure looking good right now.

I get your point, but feel since Cup era Bruins the team has shifted WAY toouch in that mentality and been burned, whether burying guys like Spooner, not giving kids a chance like Koko, or no buyouts for "Bruins guys" like Campbell or Paille.

Please, enough of this mythical "Bruins way" mindset already. Get good players, period. Get a time machine and move the hell away from 2011 (like the rest of NHL) and stop chasing that big, bad, Bruin white whale.

Sorry Cam, speed, forecheck, tough, smart, skilled is not the Bruins way -- it's what every team wants. You don't own it and never did.
Actually most posters said that vermette was a good move given that Kane got hurt. And the move did look bad for the 1st two rounds until he started to score those big goals.

Bruins hockey has always been about hard nosed players who compete hard, not neccessarly with their fists, more about their mind set. Recchi, Krejci, Bergeron etc didn't fight, but they still played hard. Loui was supposed to be Bergeron II, didn't work out for whatever reason. Seguin was let go because of many issues, not just because he didn't play bruin hockey. Was it a mistake? Probably, cause they didn't get the right return but not because they traded him.

Teams try to play bruin style, and some succeed like the ducks. So why would you get rid of Lucic and that style when you can easily surround him with players that play that style and be successful? Lucic is the prototypical bruin, why would you get rid of him over a million $?

And spooner wasn't buried, he just wasn't ready yet. Just like Krejci wasn't ready yet 6 years ago.

No the bruins don't own the "tough hard nosed style" of play, and many teams have played this way, but the bruins have played this way since I can remember. Nothing wrong with this style. Why would you move away from that like chia did is beyond me

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Old overpaid trash signed long-term with a NMC usually has negative value...

Which is why Boston will have to add something (a mid-round pick/middling prospect) to get a team to take Kelly and his contract.

It truly would be very frustrating to see Kelly on the Bruins next season, especially if another top player (Lucic, Eriksson, Krecji) is traded.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Eriksson has no shot of being here over Lucic.

Next will be Bergeron and Krejci dealt for the Sedin twins.

Trade Lucic and his 7 mil dollar deal so you can keep Eriksson and give him 5.5-6mil.

No thanks.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Eriksson has no shot of being here over Lucic.

Next will be Bergeron and Krejci dealt for the Sedin twins.

Trade Lucic and his 7 mil dollar deal so you can keep Eriksson and give him 5.5-6mil.

No thanks.

I think Eriksson is a much better hockey player than Lucic but Lucic is younger and has those qualities you hate to part with.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
“I’d be very curious – I think Boston is having a lot of debate about, ‘Do we do a contract, or do we just let him come back next year and if he has a great year, we’ve got to pay even more."

Quote from Friedman.
So the Bruins are considering extending Lucic this summer?

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Is it possible to keep both and send Kelly and Seids out?

yes it is.

Lucic+Loui already cost 10.25M on the Cap. They will probably cost around 13M for both on their next deals so about a 2.75M increase.

Trade Kelly and replace him with any 4th liner at 750k, you already save 2.25M.

Only need to find another 500k saving. Seids and Smith are next in line for Cap saving.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
yes it is.

Lucic+Loui already cost 10.25M on the Cap. They will probably cost around 13M for both on their next deals so about a 2.75M increase.

Trade Kelly and replace him with any 4th liner at 750k, you already save 2.25M.

Only need to find another 500k saving. Seids and Smith are next in line for Cap saving.

If only management thought like us :laugh:

Bruins Stooge

Spread Out
Aug 12, 2008
Hartford County CT
I understand losing Lucic would be losing alot of heart and character not to mention physical presence as well, which is what makes the decision so tough.

That said, I can't stand the "he needs to be surrounded by physical players" or "needs to have the right players around him. Players making his kind of $ and furthermore the money he will make in the coming years should be the caliber player that doesn't need others to make him successful, but a player that imposes his own will on the game and others fit in around him. Just my .02

Edit: Not saying I necessarily want him gone, but just making a point.

7bostonhockey*

Kelly is Kaiser Soze

He has immunity from being traded. Management doesn't even suspect he is an issue.

While all around him teammates have come and gone ,traded and rumored to be traded.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
No offense, but I am getting pretty tired of the "player X represents what a Bruin should be" rhetoric.

Cam Neely speak at its finest. Too bad it's flawed.

That mentality is what caused Bruins to rashly trade Seguin who didn't "fit the mold," for defensively responsible 2-way guys like Loui and Smirh. How's that working out?

I wonder how many people felt in January that Antoine Vermette was exactly what a "Blackhawk" represents. Doubtful, but those 3 GW are sure looking good right now.

I get your point, but feel since Cup era Bruins the team has shifted WAY toouch in that mentality and been burned, whether burying guys like Spooner, not giving kids a chance like Koko, or no buyouts for "Bruins guys" like Campbell or Paille.

Please, enough of this mythical "Bruins way" mindset already. Get good players, period. Get a time machine and move the hell away from 2011 (like the rest of NHL) and stop chasing that big, bad, Bruin white whale.

Sorry Cam, speed, forecheck, tough, smart, skilled is not the Bruins way -- it's what every team wants. You don't own it and never did.

This x 1,000,000.

:yo::handclap:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
trade Smith and go get Austin Watson from Nashville. He's an outstanding defensive forward who is rotting in Milwaukee. The kid scored 26 goals this past season and was a mid first round pick. I just looked at a thread they had name the 12 forwards on Nashville opening night and he showed up on none of them.

I saw him in London and he was all over the place.

To me he has more talent than Brian Boyle and it took Boyle a change of teams and getting traded for a fourth round pick to end up in New York.

I dont get this one folks....I know I'm no expert, close- but my 12 year loss of judgement for hating the Bergeron pick is almost up.....so why not take a flier on Austin Watson- fourth line guy who can play both center and wing and kill penalties

just do not get this one

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I loved the post about trading a player who isn't easily replaced. I also agree that Looch's value isn't really high right now.

If I have too, I trade Loui and keep Looch.

I would rather see them trade DK for a decent return.

MadderBum*

Agreed but look who is in charge and Eriksson will be 30. I'd rather pay neither that amount. Rather succeed or fail with #17

we will fail.he is a cancer and proved it this year.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
“I’d be very curious – I think Boston is having a lot of debate about, ‘Do we do a contract, or do we just let him come back next year and if he has a great year, we’ve got to pay even more."

Quote from Friedman.
So the Bruins are considering extending Lucic this summer?

I would say strategically, Lucic's fate is decided this summer. And probably Eriksson too, and very likely these decisions will be made quietly before the draft. One reason is what Friedman says-- both are soon UFAs, and if they have a good year, you pay more, bad year, you're less likely to want to sign long term *and* their value has significantly decreased as a trade chips.

Another reason, is that both have more value as a trade piece before the draft, because that's when teams are looking to deal.

norwoodmustang

Jul 29, 2005
Norwood, MA USA
Kelly will be gone and has nothing to do with Loui and Lucic. Dealing Kelly is a Cap space move.

If Loui and/or Lucic are dealt, it won't be because of Cap space. It wasn't either with Boychuk. It will be because their salary demands are too high for Sweeney so you move them instead of losing them for nothing. Yeti should have been dealt for that same reason...

Finally someone who gets it. Even if he isn't traded this season, Kelly is gone when his deal is over.

Lucic will be getting a multi year deal. So while the Kelly "problem" is over next year, Lucic's contract has the ability to burn you 4, 5, 6+ years from now. You don't trade Lucic because of the 2016 cap number, just like Boychuck wasn't traded just for the 2015 number.

One of the things that happened to Chia was he assumed the cap would go up a certain amount every year when he started signing guys to deals 3 or 4 years ago, and then we had the lockout and the dollar weakening. This is something Sweeney needs to consider when a guy who hasn't been a consistent player wants a raise at a long term. Meanwhile, the team is close to the cap and needs to replenish the young talent on the roster. You have to at least put his name out there and see if the assets being offered would be worth making a deal.

Lucic is obviously not someone you want to let walk away next July 1st without getting assets for him. So first you decide if you can afford to give him the money he wants for the term he wants. And for those of you thinking he'd take a short term deal, think about Savard and Horton and where those guys would be in their lives if they had a 2 year deal when they got hurt vs a 5 or 6 year deal. Lucic has a family and a life after hockey to think about and has to take the longest term deal he can get.

If you know you can't make that commitment, you have to deal him. IUt has nothing to do with Eriksson or Smith or Kelly. Chances are better than 50/50 all 3 of them are gone in 3 years, while this deal Lucic wants will not even be halfway done. That's what you have to consider.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
What if they extend Looch for 5 years with the first 3 years being 6.5 and the last 2 dropping to 5 (hometown discount) or something like that so when he gets older the cap hit isn't such a bad kick in the teeth?

I'd like to keep Looch but if he wants term and $ somethings gotta give and it will probably be him

norwoodmustang

Jul 29, 2005
Norwood, MA USA
What if they extend Looch for 5 years with the first 3 years being 6.5 and the last 2 dropping to 5 (hometown discount) or something like that so when he gets older the cap hit isn't such a bad kick in the teeth?

I'd like to keep Looch but if he wants term and $ somethings gotta give and it will probably be him

Why would Lucic sign a deal like that when he can likely get more money and longer term somewhere else? Someone will offer him at least $7million and if he wants 7 or 8 years, someone will probably do that too. I don't want the Bruins to be the team paying a 33 and 34 year old 18-22 goal scoring Lucic $7.5million.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00