Would you either: Keep Looch, Trade Loui or Trade Looch, Keep Loui?

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Lucic is three years younger. I prefer to extend him. He's also better, more impactful IMO. Don't see huge gap in trade value. I'd actually argue Eriksson is at a high and Lucic at a low.

I wouldn't just use age as a barometer. Lucic has much harder miles on his body, I could see him having a much shorter effective career than the average winger.

As for Lucic being better, there's not much evidence of that. Loui is better on D, better on special teams, and is a better passer. Lucic is more physical, and I'd call it about a draw in terms of putting the puck in the net. To quantify who is more valuable to a hockey team in terms of winning and losing: I'd say they're dead even.

The difference is that their aren't a ton of heavy players with 20+ goal pedigree at LW. So Lucic's value comes in his scarcity. Thing is the league is getting away from hard and heavy in favor of fast and skilled and defensively adequate (see the whole Hawks lineup I guess). Looch's peak value was probably a few years back, and it's only going to drop going forward I think. Just one fan's opinion.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
You'd trade Marchand, our most reliable scorer (compared to the rest of the team) go before Lucic, a guy who is paid twice as much and scores half the points? We already have problems scoring goals, that seems like a GREAT way to fix our problems, especially considering Marchand is also pretty decent on defense while Lucic makes guys like Weise look like Pacioretty

If it came down that you had to choose Marchy or Looch, I'd choose Looch.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
i keep hearing that the league is getting faster and away from the "rough stuff" . is Eriksson really that much faster than Lucic?

No. I'd even argue he's even slower. Probably a better overall skater in general, but in terms of speed, Lucic can move better. Plays at a higher tempo IMO.

Iceman12

Nov 22, 2014
I'd trade them both, Eriksson is too soft and Lucic is a lazy dog. This way they can sign Hamilton and McQuaid.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Lucic is a what a bruin should be. No way Neely gets rid of him. This team needs more lucics. Eriksson is good, but no emotion or leadership. Trade eriksson for hall, chia likes him and hates emotional players now

FROMSHORETOCHARA

Jul 2, 2009
These 2 players don't belong in the same sentence or thread. loui is a decent player but really a JAG, a middle six forward who lacks speed and physicality. Plus he is a free agent in a year and his decline is too severe to consider extending at the 5/25plus it would take. But but but .... he was our 3rd leading scorer! Yes tied for 3rd on a lottery team that couldn't score goals. 4.5 million of cap savings right here, trade him for best pick cost controlled player you can get. On right team and line could he have a couple decent years, sure. But he is what he is, middle six fading slow finesse winger. Bye. Looch had a bad year, like most big wingers he is an up and down winger dependent on his center to create. Love Krejci but missed half year and was average other half. When looch played with spooner who is far from Toews he was much better. Down year but foundational player who can dominate at times and even in terrible year only had 3 less point than loui. I try to keep looch for year and resign for 5/30 range, only trade him now for serious overpayment.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
It's a really tough choice. I want Looch to not be greedy and be loyal to the team, so he can retire a Bruin. If he does ask for 7+ the answer has to be Loui.

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country
Lucic is a what a bruin should be. No way Neely gets rid of him. This team needs more lucics. Eriksson is good, but no emotion or leadership. Trade eriksson for hall, chia likes him and hates emotional players now

No offense, but I am getting pretty tired of the "player X represents what a Bruin should be" rhetoric.

Cam Neely speak at its finest. Too bad it's flawed.

That mentality is what caused Bruins to rashly trade Seguin who didn't "fit the mold," for defensively responsible 2-way guys like Loui and Smirh. How's that working out?

I wonder how many people felt in January that Antoine Vermette was exactly what a "Blackhawk" represents. Doubtful, but those 3 GW are sure looking good right now.

I get your point, but feel since Cup era Bruins the team has shifted WAY toouch in that mentality and been burned, whether burying guys like Spooner, not giving kids a chance like Koko, or no buyouts for "Bruins guys" like Campbell or Paille.

Please, enough of this mythical "Bruins way" mindset already. Get good players, period. Get a time machine and move the hell away from 2011 (like the rest of NHL) and stop chasing that big, bad, Bruin white whale.

Sorry Cam, speed, forecheck, tough, smart, skilled is not the Bruins way -- it's what every team wants. You don't own it and never did.

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
It's a really tough choice. I want Looch to not be greedy and be loyal to the team, so he can retire a Bruin. If he does ask for 7+ the answer has to be Loui.

I say the same thing. Looch is my favorite Bruin but if wants north of 6Mil than he has to go. I wish he chooses Boston and shows love to the city of Boston and sign a friendly contract. Common Looch why would you want to wear a different jersey. You are a Bruin! :laugh:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
No offense, but I am getting pretty tired of the "player X represents what a Bruin should be" rhetoric.

That mentality is what caused Bruins to rashly trade Seguin who didn't "fit the mold," for defensively responsible 2-way guys like Loui and Smirh. How's that working out?

I wonder how many people felt in January that Antoine Vermette was exactly what a "Blackhawk" represents. Doubtful, but those 3 GW are sure looking good right now.

I get your point, but feel since Cup era Bruins the team has shifted WAY toouch in that mentality and been burned, whether burying guys like Spooner, not giving kids a chance like Koko, or no buyouts for "Bruins guys" like Campbell or Paille.

Please, enough of this mythical "Bruins way" mindset already. Get good players, period. Get a time machine and move the hell away from 2011 (like the rest of NHL) and stop chasing that big, bad, Bruin white whale.

Sorry Cam, speed, forecheck, tough, smart, skilled is not the Bruins way -- it's what every team wants. You don't own it and never did.

Calgary has it, but lacks the top end talent I think to be an elite team. That style is still relevant, if hard to acquire. Fast, skill, and tough. It's possible.

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org

Totally agree with you, every team strives for that but not every player has it. And this is what we want from every player that puts on a Bruins jersey. Let me say, I think what we mean when we say player X is what a Bruin should be, Is that he plays hard and works hard and competes (specially along the boards) :)

He hustles with the puck or without it, he backs down from no one and stands up for his teammates regardless.. In other words he brings that blue collar lunch pail mentality to his game. Play hard every shift, every minute, every damn second. That's a Bruin.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Totally agree with you, every team strives for that but not every player has it. And this is what we want from every player that puts on a Bruins jersey. Let me say, I think what we mean when we say player X is what a Bruin should be, Is that he plays hard and works hard and competes (specially along the boards) :)

He hustles with the puck or without it, he backs down from no one and stands up for his teammates regardless.. In other words he brings that blue collar lunch pail mentality to his game. Play hard every shift, every minute, every damn second. That's a Bruin.

Winner! Someone who cares is a Bruin, not someone who goes through the motions passively. I prefer fighting but not a requirement for me to get 100% behind a player (see Bergy/Marchand!) Etc.

Smith for example is someone I'd love to see gone due to this.

Colinsteadbruinsfan

Newfie Bruin
Nov 15, 2014
Regina, SK
It's simply a money thing . Lucic isn't worth 6 million. So if he comes in higher then that we should move his contract. Loui is Cheaper . I'd rather keep both and move smith Seids and kelly

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
Winner! Someone who cares is a Bruin, not someone who goes through the motions passively. I prefer fighting but not a requirement for me to get 100% behind a player (see Bergy/Marchand!) Etc.

Smith for example is someone I'd love to see gone due to this.

Yep, I don't like the way he plays the game without the puck. He doesn't do much, and he seems like when he's not scoring goals he gets frustrated and just disappears.

Playing without the puck is everything, making plays doesn't always revolve around scoring a goal. He can make a nice check, or battle along the boards and win battles for the puck, or make a nice defensive play etc. etc.

Who knows maybe his game will improve. I just know that what I mentioned above is the way I would like all the Bruin players to play. Hustle and make plays. Play hard I don't care if your not scoring goals just show me that your trying to make a play, do something.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia

Was. Until he proves otherwise, it will stay at was.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I guess the real question could be, which of Loui and Looch could fetch the return the B`s NEED to improve.

While you might get a more sizable return from a Looch trade (in the form of the old roster player/pick/prospect), that doesn`t mean a guy like Loui couldn`t fetch a piece from another team the B`s need, they may not get the return as far as the amount of bodies they`d get in return for him, nor does it mean that the return can`t be for a solid piece they need to fill a hole

I`d argue with the year that just finished, Loui was, by far, the better of the two

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Both are playing their last contract year and will be UFA. Sweeney has to extend them or trade them. You just can't lose either for nothing.

We'll have our answer pretty soon.

But if you have to choose only one like the thread question, then no doubt you keep Lucic and trade Loui.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I guess the real question could be, which of Loui and Looch could fetch the return the B`s NEED to improve.

While you might get a more sizable return from a Looch trade (in the form of the old roster player/pick/prospect), that doesn`t mean a guy like Loui couldn`t fetch a piece from another team the B`s need, they may not get the return as far as the amount of bodies they`d get in return for him, nor does it mean that the return can`t be for a solid piece they need to fill a hole

I`d argue with the year that just finished, Loui was, by far, the better of the two

Loui was the 2nd best forward after Bergeron last year. Still, put them (Loui+Lucic) out there as UFA and Lucic would get the most interest and biggest contract.

Every team want and search for a Lucic. We have ours. Keep him. 8y.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4