Would you consider Forsberg a power forward centre?

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
I believe Forsberg get's underrated for four main reasons. The era he played in, which is the lowest scoring era since pre-expansion. His injuries. The lockouts. These all caused him to miss considerable time in the prime of his career, which was basically his entire career until his last season. Also, the idea that he played second fiddle to Sakic. I bet Sakic himself would admit Forsberg was a better player than him, although on the contrary I would have to think Forsberg would say the same about Joe. Both were very humble characters, but if health was never a problem for him, and he played in a more wide open era, I agree he would be considered among the top 10-15 players of all-time. People can say what they want about him not playing enough games or scoring enough goals, but he dominated more than anyone in his era, regular season and playoffs included. He was such a special player it's a shame he has so many haters.
Dont get me wrong he was up there among the best players of the world but he was nowhere near the dominance of Gretzky and Lemiuex before him or Ovechkin and Crosby after him.
There were always Lindros, Kariyas, Selannes and Jagrs who stood next to him. He was never siginificantly better than they, of course he wasnt siginificantly worse either. But that is not the level of dominance which have you called.
Even during his Hart Trophy season, Naslund got Lester Award so I dont know how he could dominate more than anyone.

Clown Baby*

Actually...a PF is someone that can put the puck in the net and dominate physically down low in the corners and in front of the net.
By your definition, then, Dustin Penner's more of a powerforward than Peter Forsberg which is flat out false.
They have the ability to go through people to put the puck in the back of the net. Most importantly though, it's what a PF does for your team when they don't have the puck that defines their role.

Forsberg was good in the corners mucking it up but he wasn't dominant (not even close to a Lindros, Neely or Tocchet) and he certainly didn't play in front of the net much.
Forsberg, along with Jagr, was among the strongest players on the puck in modern history. Suggesting Neely and Tocchet... I don't even know what you're suggesting, but to say they did anything better than Forsberg (fighting aside) would be grossly inaccurate
PF's go hard to the net and make space for themselves and their teammates, Forsberg did not perform that role.
He was a half-boards guy, just like the majority of playmakers are.
What the hell are you talking about? Forsberg took the puck to the net with authority REPEATEDLY over the course of his career. He was never afraid to go to the dirty areas. I don't care if it was Pronger, Hatcher, or some other monolith on skates, trying to hack and slash Forsberg's game off-balance. He would battle through it, which is why Forsberg experienced so many injuries.
Talk about shooting % all you want, the bottom line is that he had 2 30 goal seasons and 4 20 goal seasons total.
End of story.
Dangerously poor logic being displayed here. You're completely disregarding the era Forsberg played in. You're also disregarding the injury shortened seasons, as well as his post-season totals in which he himself proved to be equally effective at shooting the puck as he was passing it (averaging .423 goals/game played).
Not to mention you just called him more of a playmaker, which PF's are not
Go start a poll, then. Ask "Can a powerforward be a playmaker?" Because I guarantee you, EVERYONE with common sense realizes a powerforward's game revolves around intimidation and skill, not whether he opts to pass the puck or shoot it.

Infinite Vision*

Good post clown baby. Man so many are so ignorant towards Forsberg's game it puzzles me.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Dangerously poor logic being displayed here. You're completely disregarding the era Forsberg played in. You're also disregarding the injury shortened seasons, as well as his post-season totals in which he himself proved to be equally effective at shooting the puck as he was passing it (averaging .423 goals/game played)
Two (exactly) 30 goals seasons is poor goalscoring performance regarding era (and injuries) or not.

LIST OF 30 GOAL SEASONS BETWEEN LOCKOUTS
Czerkawski did it twice!!!

Infinite Vision*

Dont get me wrong he was up there among the best players of the world but he was nowhere near the dominance of Gretzky and Lemiuex before him or Ovechkin and Crosby after him.
There were always Lindros, Kariyas, Selannes and Jagrs who stood next to him. He was never siginificantly better than they, of course he wasnt siginificantly worse either. But that is not the level of dominance which have you called.
Even during his Hart Trophy season, Naslund got Lester Award so I dont know how he could dominate more than anyone.

I never said he dominated like Lemieux or Gretzky. He dominated just as much or more than Crosby and Ovechkin though. Naslund was not remotely close to as good as Forsberg was, literally not in his universe. Lindros and Jagr stood next to him, those three were at a level beyond Selanne and Kariya. I think Bure, Fedorov and Mogilny were better than Selanne and Kariya myself. Though I realize I am likely in the minority with that opinion, but based on what I've seen it's a clear decision for me.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
I never said he dominated like Lemieux or Gretzky. He dominated just as much or more than Crosby and Ovechkin though. Naslund was not remotely close to as good as Forsberg was, literally not in his universe. Lindros and Jagr stood next to him, those three were at a level beyond Selanne and Kariya. I think Bure, Fedorov and Mogilny were better than Selanne and Kariya myself. Though I realize I am likely in the minority with that opinion, but based on what I've seen it's a clear decision for me.

Are you trying to say Czerkawski was as good a goalscorer as Forsberg? Some people must really hate this guy, for some odd reason.
I dont hate him, I just dont like his overrating. Czerkawski was not remotely close as good goalscorer as Forsberg. But he did the same what Forsberg did. Shouldnt Forsberg score more just because talent? I just want to show you that your statement Forsberg dominated whole league more than Crosby or Ovechkin is plain wrong. If Forsberg was so skilled and talented he should won Ross with huge gap. Everyone agree that Crosby is playmaker first, but he is so skilled he could easily put up 30-40 goals seasons year by year. And you have said Forsberg dominated even more than him and Ovie. Ovie has two Harts, some Ross and counting... Naslund, of course he was not close to Forsberg, but when you say that, how is possible that Forsberg beat him only in final 3 or 4 games of the season by less than 5 points in one of the weakest years for forwards. He should tear up the league. But he didnt.

Peter Forsberg
708 GP 249 G 14.7%
2x 30 goals
4x 20 goals

Pavel Datsyuk
662 GP 221 G 14.7%
3x 30 goals
4x 20 goals
And what? Does it mean that Datsyuk dominate the league like nobody else (same like Forsberg)? Because Datsyuk is one of the best, but doesnt dominate the league and is not even remotely close to level of Crosby and Ovechkin few years back.

Infinite Vision*

When Gretzky retired he was asked who was the best player in the league and he said there were several candidates and then only mentioned Forsberg by name and spoke about him for two minutes! :) Forsberg's passing gets overlooked, especially in goal-oriented highlight videos (which make him look like a puck hog, focussing in on the times he doesn't make a pass). Petr was a better passer than goal scorer imo.

Yes I remember that. Here's the thing with Forsberg. We've seen enough times he could skate circles around the entire opposing team, deke the goalie out of his jockstrap, or snipe with a wrister, slapper, or backhand. He was not a selfish player though and thought team first. His playmaking skills are topped only by the big three, his shooting percentage and higher goals per game in the playoffs supported the fact that he could score when he wanted to. He lead the playoffs in goals without reaching the finals. He had a hat trick in the 1996 Cup final series. I remember watching him score four goals in a game once and thinking to myself why the hell doesn't he shoot more? The answer is quite simple. He realized there were other things you needed to do to win, such as playing the other two zones of the ice, controlling the play in the offensive zone and looking for the right one instead of just firing random shots from anywhere, much like Ovechkin does today. His youtube highlights do make him look like a puck hog, but if you watch games he looks more like Gretzky, always setting everyone up, then whenever he decided he would score. Well, not literally whenever he decided, but you get the point. It's already known he was one of the smartest players ever, had a deadly all around shot, strength, determination, speed, stickhandling, puck protection like no other, is it really that hard to believe he was a much better goalscorer than his regular season totals indicated?

I stole this from Lexus, but I'm sure he won't mind. :)

Quote:
To get some perspective on how much heart and love of the game Forsberg had.

Colorado Avalanche players went to bed Wednesday filled with happy thoughts of a Game 7 win and the ongoing pursuit of the Stanley Cup, but they awakened to learn that teammate Peter Forsberg had faced a potentially life-threatening ordeal as they slept.

Forsberg had his spleen removed during an emergency 2-hour surgery at Rose Medical Center at 3:15 a.m. Thursday. Doctors performed the operation after Forsberg complained of crippling pain in the left side of his abdomen a couple hours after the Avs beat Los Angeles, 5-1.

Forsberg had suffered a ruptured or lacerated spleen and was suffering from internal bleeding. The Avs said they do not know what hit - or combination of hits - might have caused the injury.

It ends the season of Colorado's leading postseason scorer, but doctors and team officials are optimistic that Forsberg will play hockey again - maybe as early as next season.

Bob Hartley: "In the morning of the 7th game against the Devils in the Stanley Cup Finals, Forsberg waited for me in my office at 8:30. He literally begged me to allow him to return for the final game."

"Without delay, I communicated with my general manager, Pierre Lacroix, and the team's doctors. But they refused to allow Forsberg to play. According to the doctors, Forsberg could've died on the rink if we allowed him to play that day. It was way too risky but we thanked Forsberg for being such a warrior."

Quote:
Awards, Honors & Stats

- 2x Stanley Cup
- 2x Olympic Gold Medals
- 2x World Championship Gold Medals
(Enough titles to join the "Triple Gold Club" twice, a feat that only 2 other players in history has accomplished)
- Art Ross Trophy
- Hart Trophy
- Calder Trophy
- Bud Light Plus-Minus Award
- 1995 NHL All-Rookie Team (1st)
- 1998 NHL All-Star Team (1st)
- 1999 NHL All-Star Team (1st)
- 2003 NHL All-Star Team (1st)
- 2x Scoring Titles in the playoffs despite missing the finals. (only player in history to do so)
- 4th All-Time in assists/game. (behind only Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr - 3rd all-time in adjusted assists/game)
- 10th All-Time in points/game. (Minimum 500GP)
- 4th All-Time in adjusted points/game (for comparing players how they performed in different era's to their respective peer's.)
- 3rd All-Time in adjusted points/game in the playoffs, (behind only Gretzky & Lemieux)
- All-Time scoring record in a single World Junior Championship tournament (31 points in only 7 games.)
- Ranked as the best player in the world by "The Hockey News" in 2002-2003 and 2003-2004.
- 6th all-time in +/- in the playoffs, behind only players like Gretzky, Kurri, Gregg, Anderson and Huddy (all of them linemates in the 80's Oilers dynasty years)
- 1st place in +/- in Avalanche franchise history with a +210 rating (Adam Foote 2nd at +129)

Other

- TV-Pucken Champion | (1988-1989)
- J18 SM Gold Medal | (1990-1991)
- J20 SM Gold Medal | (1991-1992)
- U20 WJC Silver Medal | (1991-1992)
- World Championship Gold Medal | (1991-1992)
- Swedish Elite Legue (Elitserien) "Guldpucken" | (1992-1993)
- Swedish Elite Legue (Elitserien) Most Valuable Player - "Guldhjälmen" | (1992-1993)
- J20 SM Gold Medal | (1992-1993)
- Swedish Junior Hockey Player of the Year | (1992-1993)
- U20 WJC All-Star Team | (1992-1993)
- U20 WJC Best Forward | (1992-1993)
- U20 WJC Most Assists (24) | (1992-1993)
- U20 WJC Most Points (31) | (1992-1993)
- U20 WJC Silver Medal | (1992-1993)
- World Championship Silver Medal | (1992-1993)
- Swedish Elite Legue (Elitserien) Best Player "Guldpucken | (1993-1994)
- Swedish Elite Legue (Elitserien) Most Goals Playoffs (9) | (1993-1994)
- Swedish Elite Legue (Elitserien) Most Valuable Player "Guldhjälmen" | (1993-1994)
- Swedish Elite Legue (Elitserien) SM-silver Medal | (1993-1994)
- NHL Best Swedish Player "Viking Award" | (1995-1996)
- NHL Most Assists Playoffs (12) | 1996-1997
- NHL Best Swedish Player "Viking Award" | 1997-1998
- World Championship All-Star Team | 1997-1998
- World Championship Best Forward | 1997-1998
- World Championship Gold Medal | 1997-1998
- World Championship Most Goals (6) | 1997-1998
- World Championship Most Points (11) | 1997-1998
- NHL Best Swedish Player "Viking Award" | 1998-1999
- NHL First All-Star Team | 1998-1999
- NHL Most Assists Playoffs (16) | 1998-1999
- NHL Most Points Playoffs (24) | 1998-1999
- NHL Most Assists Playoffs (18) | 2001-2002
- NHL Most Goals Playoffs (9) | 2001-2002
- NHL Most Points Playoffs (27) | 2001-2002
- World Championship All-Star Team | 2002-2003
- World Championship Silver Medal | 2002-2003
- World Championship Silver Medal | 2003-2004

Quote:
Some quotes from other players/coaches on Forsberg.

"Peter Forsberg is one of the best hockey players that ever played the game, and I actually don't think that anyone has been so good as Peter was during his peak, I've played against him alot, so I should know." -- Vjatjeslav Fetisov (2009)

At the HHOF induction, was asked the question on which player he thinks it's the best he ever played against. -- I would probably say that Forsberg is the best player I ever played against" -- Scott Stevens (2007)

"Some of the stuff he does is just ridiculous. Jaromir Jagr is big and strong like Forsberg, but Jagr doesn't fight back if you play him tough like Forsberg does. "I think he's the toughest player in the game to play against." -- Derian Hatcher (1999)

"For me, an agitator is somebody who controls the emotion of the game," "And Peter definitely controls the emotion of the game for them." "The only thing that stopped Forsberg is that he ran out of gas when they double- and tripleshifted him, and he wasn't able to use his speed, plus his strength," Hitchcock says. "I remember one time he kept the puck in our end for 40, maybe 50 seconds, and we couldn't get the thing away from him. His ability to knock Derian Hatcher on his butt while giving up 40 pounds shows how he can completely control and dominate a game. He's a player with skill and talent who occasionally goes maniacal. Boy, he gets a really strange look in his eyes. It's like the same steely glare that Mark Messier always gets, and you don't want to be anywhere near him." -- Ken Hitchcock (2000)

"Obviously one of the best players in the league the last 15 years, a guy who really controlled the play when he was on the ice, and there's only a handful of guy's in the league at any given era that really, actually controlled the play when the're where on the ice, just his combination of skill, strenght, determinition, and a bit of meanness or alot of meanness actually made him one of the best players to play." -- Steve Yzerman (2006)

"Peter is the best all-around player in the NHL, bar none. He's a competitor. He's the ultimate warrior. His hands are electric. He's one of the smartest players on the ice, and he knows where everybody is. He always makes the right play, and he even makes the plays you don't think he can make. He's so fast on his feet and so powerful. And he's mean. The guy is so talented, he's disgusting to watch." -- Jeremy Roenick (2000)

"He's a coach's dream. The more crucial the time in a game or a series, the tougher he gets. I think sometimes he's able to flip on a switch in his mind and be at a different level than everyone else. " -- Ray Bourque (1999)

Larry Wigge -- "It was late in the Eastern Conference finals, and I was talking about nastiness and skill with Devils right winger Claude Lemieux. He clearly was enjoying the conversation. As I'm talking to the guy some call the most hated player in the NHL, I ask him, "If you could be anyone else in hockey, who would it be?" That's easy. Peter Forsberg," Lemieux says. "I could still be mean and nasty, but if I had all of the skills that he has, I might have won five or six Stanley Cups by now. "I can only dream of skating like Peter. Either that or buy some rocket-powered skates." "(After seeing) a Michael Jordan or a Wayne Gretzky, you think you've seen it all," Lemieux says, "and then Peter shows you something entirely new. "It's the way he creates space, uses space. It's the way he sees the ice. It's the way he picks up speed even after he picks up the puck. And it's the meanness, the nastiness." -- Claude Lemieux (2000)

"He was the most talented guy I ever played with, for just pure raw talent. But more than that, he was a winner and a total gamer, he just wanted to win. He didn't care who scored all the goals or who got all the credit. He just wanted to win, and that's why his teams won as much as they did. We were all lucky to play with him." -- Joe Sakic (2011)

"Peter Forsberg is a fierce competitor, a champion, a global star who has been completely committed to our game. We will miss seeing him on the ice." -- Gary Bettman (2011)

"Peter Forsberg's skills and determination made him one of the most powerful forwards in the NHL during the best years of his career. Hearing of his retirement is sad news but one day every athlete has to come to this decision. He should be very proud of all he accomplished throughout his career." -- Patrick Roy (2011)

"Peter has had a tremendous career. He's been a world class player, one of the superstars of the NHL. I've had the pleasure of playing with him on national teams and the gold-medal-winning Olympic team in Torino. It's sad to see him retire, but he wanted to go out on his own terms and I believe he's doing that. I wish him well in all of his future endeavors." -- Nicklas Lidstrom (2011)

Quote:
And to all of you that says Forsberg never scored more than 30 goals in a season he still has more goals per game in the playoffs (when it mattered) then players like:

Sergei Fedorov, Teemu Selanne (both mentioned in the thread) Steve Yzerman, Glenn Anderson, Paul Kariya, Pavel Datsyuk, Adam Deadmarsh, Doug Gilmour, Mike Modano, Brendan Shanahan, Bryan Trottier, Bobby Clarke, Alexander Mogilny, Ted Lindsay, Bobby Orr, Peter Stastny, Luc Robitaille, Milan Hejduk, Jason Spezza, Andy Bathgate, Denis Savard, Michel Goulet, Patrick Marleau, Mats Sundin, Pat LaFontaine, Lanny McDonald, Claude Lemieux, Jeremy Roenick, Stan Mikita, Darryl Sittler, Frank Mahovlich, Mike Gartner, John LeClair, Markus Naslund... just to name a few.

For example, Forsberg has scored 12 goals more then Fedorov in the playoffs despite playing in 33 games less. All this, while Forsberg's primary weapon was his unique playmaking.

Oh, and he scored at that rate even though he's played over 150 playoff games as well. (almost all of them in the dead-puck era.)

He was also on pace for more 30 goals or more 5 times. Had 28 in 65 one year, and 18 in 39 on one foot while the leading goalscorer that year had 41 goals playing the full schedule. There was actually a three way tie, supporting the fact that it was really hard to score goals that year. 5.14 goals per game average that year which is the lowest in the entire dead puck era, also supports the fact that goals were very hard to come by.

Infinite Vision*

How can anyone read all of that and still say he's massively overrated? He was one of the very best, ever. I wish more people could accept that.

Infinite Vision*

I'm not going to comment on the previous two videos because no explanations are needed, but this last one, that's a ten minute highlight reel and he only played 23 games. I know it's the Swedish elite league, but he was not his former self by any stretch, and hadn't played a full season since 06-07... well, 57 games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinite Vision*

For some reason these just showed up as blanks in the post above.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Suggesting Neely and Tocchet... I don't even know what you're suggesting, but to say they did anything better than Forsberg (fighting aside) would be grossly inaccurateWhat the hell are you talking about?

Neely and Tocchet were two of the most intimidating players to ever play the game and were classic power forwards.

Forsberg was a physical player, who went in the trenches with the best of them, but he was not intimidating like those guys were.

For a year or two, there was a debate as to whether Forsberg or Naslund was the best player in the world. Most picked Forsberg, but a sizable minority picked Naslund. So I wouldn't say Naslund "was literally not in his universe."

Infinite Vision*

Neely and Tocchet were two of the most intimidating players to ever play the game and were classic power forwards.

Forsberg was a physical player, who went in the trenches with the best of them, but he was not intimidating like those guys were.

For a year or two, there was a debate as to whether Forsberg or Naslund was the best player in the world. Most picked Forsberg, but a sizable minority picked Naslund. So I wouldn't say Naslund "was literally not in his universe."

Taking their careers into consideration, and especially the playoffs, I would say so. Forsberg was considered by many to be the best and/or the most complete player in the game for the majority of his prime, basically the entire dead puck era.

This is off topic but I'm still waiting for your response and vote to the Hawerchuk vs. Lafontaine thread. I sincerely want to know what you think of the argument I presented.

Pear Juice

Dec 12, 2007
Gothenburg, SWE
Any thread on the topic of Peter Forsberg always boil down to this slinging match. He's such a polarizing character. It's weird how a player can be considered overrated by one camp and underrated by the other.

I'd agree that he was definitely not a power forward using the traditional definition of the term. But he sure did play with a tremendous amount of power. Who would be the best historical comparison when it comes to style? Bryan Trottier? Trottier obviously managed to rack up a better CV, I'm not looking for an achievement comparison, rather a style comparison. I never saw Trottier play but the picture I get of him is similar. A tough, determined playmaker who didn't shy away from contact. A winner.

To me personally, Peter Forsberg had the ability to be as good as anyone. Due to injuries, he didn't. And that's a shame. What could have been? We cannot know. I just cherish the fact that I got to see him play several times. Here in Sweden he is held by many - experts, coaches, players, fans - as the best hockey player ever to come out of Sweden, which is saying a lot.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Taking their careers into consideration, and especially the playoffs, I would say so. Forsberg was considered by many to be the best and/or the most complete player in the game for the majority of his prime, basically the entire dead puck era.

This is off topic but I'm still waiting for your response and vote to the Hawerchuk vs. Lafontaine thread. I sincerely want to know what you think of the argument I presented.

Forsberg was a better player than Tocchet and Neely because he was better than them offensively and defensively. But they were more "powerful" than him, which is why they are traditional power forwards and he really isn't.

As for the second point, I enjoyed the back and forth you and Hockey Outsider had in the other poll and was kind of waiting for him to show up before getting involved. Though if you put a "too close to call" option, I probably would have voted for it.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
How can anyone read all of that and still say he's massively overrated?

There are piles of quotes like that about every great hockey player who retires.

I'm sure everyone agrees he was a great hockey player, but I get a little tired of hearing how he would outscore Lemieux and Gretzky in the 80s, and seeing that same highlight video repeated again and again and again on here as evidence.

He was one of the very best, ever. I wish more people could accept that.

That would depend on where you rank him among the best ever.

When you consider that Trottier (the better Forsberg imo) was 26th on the last HOH list..

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
I'm sure everyone agrees he was a great hockey player, but I get a little tired of hearing how he would outscore Lemieux and Gretzky in the 80s, and seeing that same highlight video repeated again and again and again on here as evidence.
I wouldnt say it better.

Pear Juice

Dec 12, 2007
Gothenburg, SWE
There are piles of quotes like that about every great hockey player who retires.
This is true. Quotes about retired players are always plentiful.

Placing him on an all-time list is difficult. He's probably the only real what-if case short of Bobby Orr and Mike Bossy who actually has a legititimate shot at making a list of the 50 best players ever (He placed 65th on the 2009 list). edit: I guess Mario Lemieux could be considered a what-if case as well, but we did get to see him for nearly 1000 NHL games.

Any ranking of players like these has to decide whether to focus on achievements or to focus on the power of their game when they were at their best. I don't think one should ever start pro-rating and try to construct what-if scenarios, that's a slippery slope. On a career basis, Forsberg's career just doesn't compare to some of the games absolute greats. But I do think that one can judge Forsberg at the height of his game, and then he should be ranked higher than if you judge him by his individual achievements. Career Forsberg may not a top-50 player, but I think that peak Forsberg more likely is. Then again I'm talking about my absolute favourite player ever, I am nowhere near objective on this topic.

Just as a comparison to his status and legacy in Sweden, our most famous hockey journalists, Arne Hegerfors and Anders 'Ankan' Parmström ranked Forsberg ahead of Nicklas Lidström as Sweden's best player ever.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
By your definition, then, Dustin Penner's more of a powerforward than Peter Forsberg which is flat out false.Forsberg, along with Jagr, was among the strongest players on the puck in modern history. Suggesting Neely and Tocchet... I don't even know what you're suggesting, but to say they did anything better than Forsberg (fighting aside) would be grossly inaccurateWhat the hell are you talking about? Forsberg took the puck to the net with authority REPEATEDLY over the course of his career. He was never afraid to go to the dirty areas. I don't care if it was Pronger, Hatcher, or some other monolith on skates, trying to hack and slash Forsberg's game off-balance. He would battle through it, which is why Forsberg experienced so many injuries.Dangerously poor logic being displayed here. You're completely disregarding the era Forsberg played in. You're also disregarding the injury shortened seasons, as well as his post-season totals in which he himself proved to be equally effective at shooting the puck as he was passing it (averaging .423 goals/game played).Go start a poll, then. Ask "Can a powerforward be a playmaker?" Because I guarantee you, EVERYONE with common sense realizes a powerforward's game revolves around intimidation and skill, not whether he opts to pass the puck or shoot it.

Bla bla bla....at the end of the day, PF's don't play from the half-boards, case closed.

Neely scored 50 in 49, Forsberg couldn't even manage 31 in 82...both Neely and Tocchet were better at putting the puck in the net period and no youtube clip is going to change that.
I could did up the youtube clip of Lyle Odelein dekeing through 4-5 guys to score a beauty of a goal but I'm not going compare him to Bobby Orr because of it.

Forsberg was a better player than Tocchet and Neely because he was better than them offensively and defensively. But they were more "powerful" than him, which is why they are traditional power forwards and he really isn't.

Seconded!

That would depend on where you rank him among the best ever.

When you consider that Trottier (the better Forsberg imo) was 26th on the last HOH list..

Thirded!

Last edited:

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Just as a comparison to his status and legacy in Sweden, our most famous hockey journalists, Arne Hegerfors and Anders 'Ankan' Parmström ranked Forsberg ahead of Nicklas Lidström as Sweden's best player ever.

Obviously they have no idea what they are talking about. ;)

I find it interesting that Lidstrom always seems to be behind Sundin and Forsberg at home.

Is it because (with the Red Wings being so successful) he hasn't had the opportunity to play World Championships as much?

I seem to remember you mentioning before that World Championships were held in higher esteem than in North America.

I know I kind of see going to the Worlds a thing for the losers who didn't make the playoffs to go and do. ;)

Pear Juice

Dec 12, 2007
Gothenburg, SWE
Obviously they have no idea what they are talking about. ;)

I find it interesting that Lidstrom always seems to be behind Sundin and Forsberg at home.

Is it because (with the Red Wings being so successful) he hasn't had the opportunity to play World Championships as much?

I seem to remember you mentioning before that World Championships were held in higher esteem than in North America.

I know I kind of see going to the Worlds a thing for the losers who didn't make the playoffs to go and do. ;)
I would guess that they put a very high emphasis on peak ability. Forsberg has a case on Lidström when we consider them both at their A game. Granted, Lidströms peak lasted longer than Forsbergs entire career. On a pure career basis there's absolutely no question Lidström has the stronger case.

I would say there's a general difference in the perception of international play between European and North American sports. Maybe it's due to USA's most popular sports (Am. football and baseball) not being played much on an international arena. In basically all popular sports in Sweden (football, hockey, handball, cross-country skiing, alpine skiing, athletics, swimming), a World Championship gold medal is among the greatest things you can accomplish. In Canada it is as you point out, a loser's tournament.

The World Championships are definitely held higher over here than in NA, but its shimmer is really on the decline now as we lose more players to the NHL. There are many people arguing that it shouldn't be played every year (compare to football championships or olympics). I don't think it'd make a difference as the NHL wouldn't stop their season for the WC anyways. Once the final rounds of the playoffs roll around though, TV ratings are usually still very high for the WC.

For a picture of what the WC means in Europe; when Finland won their first gold in 15 years this year. Upwards of 100,000 people were celebrating in downtown Helsinki.

Lexus

OWN THE MOMENT.
Jan 29, 2009
For a picture of what the WC means in Europe; when Finland won their first gold in 15 years this year. Upwards of 100,000 people were celebrating in downtown Helsinki.

And half of their population saw the game on TV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad