Would you consider Forsberg a power forward centre?

Puckgenius*

Which was and still is extremely rare but Forsberg in his prime IMO was a power forward centre. Many will have different opinions on how they would label his game cause hes arguably the most complete player from the past decade. He was a setup machine, a pretty good sniper (though more of a playmaker), but its his physical game and wreckless style and his ability to single handedly take over games, that set him apart from the typical "playmaker" and brought his game into the power forward category.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Forsberg was a different type of Power Forward, but it is hard to describe it. I guess he was his own hockey breed. He was, in my opinion, one of the most all around players to ever play, but he definitely used his physical play within his game and fed off of that.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
Datsyuk is a Lady Byng winner though, while Forsberg was actually a very dirty player.

I'm not sure if Forsberg was necessarily a "power forward," but he was at least a "power forward lite" if such a thing exists.

Yeah, I'm with Devil on this one and I'm not even sure I could go as far as "power forward lite" heh.

Power forwards to me are all about crashing corners and nets without the puck, making room for the rest of his line and scoring goals.
Forsberg was far too much of a puck carrier and playmaker and not a very good goal scorer.

JR was a much better candidate than Forsberg as a power center and neither of them hold a candle to Lindros in that regard.

Ruslan Zainullin

Aug 2, 2011
I would consider Forsberg a playmaker with strong sniping skills who was very, very strong on the puck. if that makes sense.

tombombadil

Jan 20, 2010
West Kelowna, Canada
hmmm, i definitely think he fits the criteria of 'throwing big hits, and making space for team mates' I think the specification of power forward CENTER makes sense. He spent a lot of time backchecking and playmaking, instead of your typical power forward winger, who plays exclusively on the boards and in front of the net.

I think the only thing that keeps him from meeting all criteria for 'power forward center' is the lack of fighting. I think he meets the rest of the physical side, though.

Ruslan Zainullin

Aug 2, 2011
Bryan Trottier is the first one to come to my mind. Mark Messier?

Gordie Howe was just as good at passing as scoring.

i remember Messier banging around and barreling down the ice firing that big wrister between the hash marks and the top of the circle. i would call him the prototypical power forward.

nice call on trottier, gordie was before my time.

tombombadil

Jan 20, 2010
West Kelowna, Canada
i always felt Trottier was Forsberg, before Forsberg. Good call on Gilmour. I also feel Crosby plays in the same vein. He doesn't hit as much, but he works really hard for a skill player, and is just as strong on his skates. Oh, and Lindros, the ultimate power center. Even though he scored quite a bit, i still consider him a playmaker

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
i always felt Trottier was Forsberg, before Forsberg. Good call on Gilmour. I also feel Crosby plays in the same vein. He doesn't hit as much, but he works really hard for a skill player, and is just as strong on his skates. Oh, and Lindros, the ultimate power center. Even though he scored quite a bit, i still consider him a playmaker
Do you mean as a Power forward? Because Crosby in no way, shape or form, plays like a power forward.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

Apart from the fact that Trottier was a much better goalscorer, more physical, more durable and better defensively - you're right. Forsberg is probably the most similar player to Trottier since Trottier.

Gilmour didn't have the size of these other guys but that didn't stop him.

Lindros was a beast before injuries took him down. He was scary.

Infinite Vision*

They are very similar players indeed. Messier was similar to them as well. All three were roughly equal in playmaking, goalscoring, physicality, playoff performances, and just overall style of play. He wasn't as dirty a player as Messier, but more dirty than Trottier. Trottier was the best defensively of the three, while I say Forsberg was the best offensively of the three. If they are considered power forwards I don't see how Forsberg cannot be. Crosby is also a similar type of player, but he's not physical enough, though more physical than most on this forum give him credit for.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
He was physical in protecting the puck and his space like a running back in football; he wasn't a linebacker type of power forward, to extend the analogy. He took checks more than he gave them, he held his ground by the crease more than he charged through a man to get there.

His core strength and ability to shake off hits was remarkable, and I recall saying to a friend that one day he'll damage some internal organ with all the abuse he takes, and indeed a couple of years later he did (ruptured spleen). Instead of being thrown by a big check he braced himself and absorbed it, often sending the other guy down.

407489f08a53a57726260038721cc39f-getty-80538026ss009.jpg

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Consider

Jean Beliveau very strong in front of the net and in the corners. Phil Esposito strong in the slot, Nels Stewart , first power center,Pete Mahovlich, Pete Stemkowski, Walt Tkachuk, Jason Arnott, Keith Primeau, Joel Otto,Chris Gratton.

Last seven lacked longevity and consistancy.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I guess I am biased against Forsberg a bit. Well, maybe not biased but I never overrate him like so many do on here. This is a guy who is praised for being so strong on his skates but he'd be right up there as the biggest diver in NHL history. I've always had a hard time calling anyone who dives "tough" or "rugged" or a power forward. Another thing, Forsberg never fought, he hit a bit but never game changers, he wasn't big either. Unless the term power forward has been altered, I just don't see it

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I guess I am biased against Forsberg a bit. Well, maybe not biased but I never overrate him like so many do on here. This is a guy who is praised for being so strong on his skates but he'd be right up there as the biggest diver in NHL history. I've always had a hard time calling anyone who dives "tough" or "rugged" or a power forward. Another thing, Forsberg never fought, he hit a bit but never game changers, he wasn't big either. Unless the term power forward has been altered, I just don't see it

Forsberg's game was definitely tailor-made for the clutch-and-grab-but-don't-fight dead puck era.

Infinite Vision*

:huh:

Well, atleast you admit you're biased against him.

Mouse21*

not a power forward, just very strong on the puck. he mostly just hit when he had control of the puck, never really to open up space for his team mates, because he did that by dekeing around everyone.

an extremely all around type of player, whatever the situation called for, he would do it.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Absolutely no way Forsberg was a powerforward. He was very strong puck-carrier who used his body to protect the puck but he didn't actively seek punishing hits.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
imo, forsberg was not really a power forward, but could be considered a borderline power forward under a looser standard.

he was physical and threw big hits, and could overpower defenders, but i don't think he often used his physicality to score directly. mostly used his skill to score.

I consider Forsberg a power forward just as much as I do Datsyuk.
forsberg was much more physical than datsyuk.

Absolutely no way Forsberg was a powerforward. He was very strong puck-carrier who used his body to protect the puck but he didn't actively seek punishing hits.
forsberg did that throughout his career, but probably not enough to be called a power forward. forsberg seemed not to throw routine hits. he hit players preemptively when they tried to hit him, and also seemed to hunt players when he was angry, but otherwise did not throw a large number of hits.

some examples
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M216t3utLSI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRw8suSw2e8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cPX7XKrPA8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIRiqrrJv1s&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDQ4lAW96oQ&feature=related

Last edited:

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
I dont like Forsberg not because of his play or personality but because he is criminaly overrated everywhere.

Forsberg and power forward? I'm sorry but you have to be on the drugs. He certainly brought a physicality to his game, what is something rare for skilled playmaking centre and I'm giving him credit where the credit is due.
But as being mentioned he was much more a diver and dirty player but that is not equal to power forward.

Infinite Vision*

imo, forsberg was not really a power forward, but could be considered a borderline power forward under a looser standard.

he was physical and threw big hits, and could overpower defenders, but i don't think he often used his physicality to score directly. mostly used his skill to score.

forsberg was much more physical than datsyuk.

forsberg did that throughout his career, but probably not enough to be called a power forward. forsberg seemed not to throw routine hits. he hit players preemptively when they tried to hit him, and also seemed to hunt players when he was angry, but otherwise did not throw a large number of hits.

some examples
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M216t3utLSI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRw8suSw2e8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cPX7XKrPA8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIRiqrrJv1s&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDQ4lAW96oQ&feature=related

:handclap:

To those who say Forsberg was not much of a hitter, or didn''t seek punishing hits, watch all those videos and if you're mind is changed, then I don't know what else to tell you.

Also look at the balance he displays when he hits people, he sends them flying and he himself doesn't even budge... it's actually amazing to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad