Would you be happy/mad at making the playoffs next season?

Would you be happy or mad at making the playoffs next season?

• Happy

Votes: 79 76.0%
  • Mad

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • “I’m dead inside”

Votes: 22 21.2%

• Total voters

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
would need to sign like Gaudreau+Malkin+Letang+some other D to huge deals+probably trade for some established Goalie for that to even be a realistic possibility

at which point the Wings would not only be an aging team that barely squeaks into the Playoffs but they would probably have cap troubles down the line with paying Seider/Raymond as well
i would say a centre (kardi would be great but would cost too much money and term), someone to play with seider, an entire 2nd d pairing. in about 2 years with all the prospects the D should be good if not great so i think 2023-24 is realistic with minimal moves by yzerman.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Glad to see everyone would be happy if we got playoff hockey, (and good to know I’m not alone in being dead inside.)

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC

This is kind of a strange sentence to type, but hfboards really undervalues winning in my opinion.

This team needed to lose in 2018 when we had a brutal, overpaid roster and our best prospects were Michael Rasmussen and Dennis Cholowski. This team does not need to lose in 2022 when we have a hungry young core with mountains of cap space and a reasonably deep prospect pool. We don't need to win at all costs, but we certainly don't need to lose anymore.

If we were to make the playoffs, it'd likely mean a few things happened - a) the young core (Larkin, Seider, Raymond, Bertuzzi, etc. likely had monster years, b) Yzerman made some solid additions in free agency and trades, c) our new head coach is competent, d) our goaltending situation is pretty seriously improved, etc. Beyond that, you've got to think about how championship teams develop. It usually takes a lot of trial and error, you learn lessons in the playoffs. Even getting rinsed in five games by Florida or something would be really good experience for guys like Seider and Raymond.

I think it'd be silly to want to trade all of that for a mildly better chance at Connor Bedard or a prettier salary cap spreadsheet.

Last edited:

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I mean, I'd be ecstatic. It would mean our young guys have taken the next step and all elements gelled.

I have a question about acquiring Copp. Note, I'm not asking this to insinuate you must be stoned to want him, but I don't get the fervor on this board to get him, and to slot him as the #2 pivot. He's having a realgud outlier year, but I never saw him as more than a solid 3rd liner on a good team. This is an open question for anyone; what makes you want to pay him to be a 2C based on his body of work?
From what little I've seen he appears to be a solid 2-way player (I believe he's played more wing than center), most likely capable of 40 something pts per season, from Ann Arbor, is 27 yrs old (looked up his b-day - will be 28 in July), and as a UFA he won't cost the Wings anything but cap space - that is if he wants to sign in Detroit and/or Yzerman is willing to pay Copp what he wants (which truth be told I have no idea what he'll command).

Would likely compete for a spot on the 2nd line which is fine by me.

EDIT - to the op - I'd be happy if the Wings made the playoffs...I sure as hell don't wish to become another Buffalo in which missing the playoffs is something that has become accepted.

Reactions: RabidBadger

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Top UFA centers or players generally, aren't signing with Detroit unless we overpay heavily, which i don't see Yzerman doing. Trochek/Strome/Copp is not going to make Detroit a cup contender in a long run, and clearly Yzerman is trying to make Red Wings a perennial cup contender. Yzerman can also have better salary cap control, when there's no overpayed and declining UFAs in the team. Salary cap control is the key to success.

This team will turn around after the 2023 draft, from there we get final piece. But even after that kids still need time to adjust and develop, but team will look better and more hungrier then. Sign a couple plugs and bite the bullet one more time.

Reactions: odin1981

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
From what little I've seen he appears to be a solid 2-way player (I believe he's played more wing than center), most likely capable of 40 something pts per season, from Ann Arbor, is 27 yrs old (looked up his b-day - will be 28 in July), and as a UFA he won't cost the Wings anything but cap space - that is if he wants to sign in Detroit and/or Yzerman is willing to pay Copp what he wants (which truth be told I have no idea what he'll command).

Would likely compete for a spot on the 2nd line which is fine by me.

EDIT - to the op - I'd be happy if the Wings made the playoffs...I sure as hell don't wish to become another Buffalo in which missing the playoffs is something that has become accepted.

Dude Copp is 100% a center.

Andrew Copp Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

He's got a 53% or higher faceoff win percentage the last 4 seasons. As his icetime has increased over the years, so has his offense. He also plays over 2 minutes per game shorthanded and is finally getting some powerplay time.

He had 53 points in 72 games this season, 18 points in 16 games for NYR. In New York he's going to be a for sure 18+ minute a night 2nd line center and likely get 60+ points because of the talent around him and the change in role. In Detroit he would be closer to a 50 point 2C but could still provide good value. His defense isn't Selke caliber but I'd bet my shiba coins that he would be a top 3 defensive forward on the Wings. In Winnipeg the fans said he was used in a mostly defensive role as the 3C but he's extremely versatile.

To put it bluntly, we would be lucky if one of Veleno or Rasmussen could become as good an NHLer as Copp. A center that good behind Larkin would really elevate our 2nd line and take some heat off the 1st offensively and defensively.

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Absolutely happy, although not with a stand pat roster. If we somehow managed to make it with only marginal improvements, not sure I would be as happy about it. That said, I am in the camp that thinks it is time to add some qualtity to this team with the intention of at least trying to make it into the post season. Draft Lottery luck is such a terrible way to go, and we have seen what happens most years when you don't win, although it is great to have Seider and Raymond, we can't count on that most years. This year we likely draft 7-9 after another crappy year, so likely aren't getting a game changer unless we get lucky. Time to improve the team with playoffs as the hope, not better draft odds.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If they draft a promising scoring line center this time, happy. If they don't, I'll be wracking my brain trying to figure out where they're going to get one.
In my first post I said they would be adding a 2C via free agency. I don't think they could make the playoffs without upgrading that spot next year.

Don't know if that changes anything or not. I would still draft multiple centers over this draft and next.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'd be happy.

For a bit. And then it would end. Like good things always do. Are the best parts in life really just finding momentary distractions to keep yourself busy so you don't think about the harsh realities of life for a second?

I can ride rollercoasters, meet new friends, and watch the Wings win all day long but it doesn't change the fact that sun is just going to explode. And all of this was for nothing.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Not happy, I don't think they have the talent to build at key positions yet. If they were a piece or two away, I'd be less pessimistic because a trade or two could fill those gaps, but Detroit still needs a center that is at least as good as Larkin, if not better, a couple left Ds and a consistent goaltender. They represent major gaps that won't be filled by free agency such that the team wouldn't end up in purgatory of not being bad enough to collect the pieces they need, or good enough to be anything more than a bubble team.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Everyone needs to realize that this Wings team is now too good to have a legit shot at a top-2 pick. You either start going up or stay mediocre forever.

We are going to have a healthy Vrana, a new coach, and a more experienced Seider and Raymond next year. Bert isn't going to miss every game in Canada. We also have to spend a ton of money just to hit the floor.

Time to start going up.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Everyone needs to realize that this Wings team is now too good to have a legit shot at a top-2 pick. You either start going up or stay mediocre forever.

We are going to have a healthy Vrana, a new coach, and a more experienced Seider and Raymond next year. Bert isn't going to miss every game in Canada. We also have to spend a ton of money just to hit the floor.

Time to start going up.
You get it👍

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Time to start going up.
Agreed.

The unfortunate reality is that when the Wings are terrible, there's multiple teams that somehow manage to be worse. It's astounding to me the team was this bad this season and there's till 7 teams that are worse. I could see one or two, maybe three, but SEVEN?!

The Wings would have to manage to be worse than every team in the league, which has been surprisingly difficult, and that gives them a 1 in 4 chance at 1st overall and a 55% chance at dropping back to 3rd.

I don't want to imagine how bad of a roster they'd have to ice to compensate for having Larkin, Bertuzzi, Raymond, and Seider.
Post automatically merged:

I'd be happy.

For a bit. And then it would end. Like good things always do. Are the best parts in life really just finding momentary distractions to keep yourself busy so you don't think about the harsh realities of life for a second?

I can ride rollercoasters, meet new friends, and watch the Wings win all day long but it doesn't change the fact that sun is just going to explode. And all of this was for nothing.
Ah yes, the existential ennui brought on by the end of another hockey season gets to even the best of us.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

Time to start going up.

#stopthetank

Like I keep saying, 20 million in improvements to this roster will go a long, long way. It'll be even better if Yzerman makes a few trades from our current middle 6.

I'm not getting my hopes up for the playoffs because of the strength of the Atlantic division, but a 20 point improvement should be the acceptable minimum for the roster next season.

2021-22 Detroit Red Wings Head-to-Head Results | Hockey-Reference.com

Detroit needs to steal points from Boston, Toronto, Tampa and Florida. At least 1 more win against each team. Maybe a couple more OTLs as well.

They also need to not give away points to shitbirds like Arizona, LA Kings, Montreal and Ottawa. And for f***s sake, not give up 6+ goals to Colorado and Pittsburgh every game.

There were probably 10 games this season that the other team playing Detroit looked terrible, but Detroit played even worse and ended up losing. They really need to tighten up, and I think a new coach that better prepares the players will do wonders for this team.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I would need some context on how the team went from God awful to a playoff team in one year. Did players like Seider and Raymond become even better and start looking like foundational players? Did new players the Wings drafted make the roster and provide a big contribution towards their improvement? Did they just make the playoffs and get bounced 4-0/4-1 in the first round?

Is there a reasonable reason to believe the roster will continue to improve the following season?

Or is it just a fluke one off season where they go back to being a complete dumpster fire the following year(s)?

I'm looking at you 08-09 Columbus Blue Jackets.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Agreed.

The unfortunate reality is that when the Wings are terrible, there's multiple teams that somehow manage to be worse. It's astounding to me the team was this bad this season and there's till 7 teams that are worse. I could see one or two, maybe three, but SEVEN?!

The Wings would have to manage to be worse than every team in the league, which has been surprisingly difficult, and that gives them a 1 in 4 chance at 1st overall and a 55% chance at dropping back to 3rd.

I don't want to imagine how bad of a roster they'd have to ice to compensate for having Larkin, Bertuzzi, Raymond, and Seider.
A lot of people aren't going to like this, but this is the point in the rebuild where you start signing free agents and trading assets for players.

With Seider and Raymond we've lucked into possibly the two best players in their drafts, and Edvinsson may become another. You can't rely on the draft forever.

I could see Yzerman packaging our first this year (if we don't win the lottery) to start patching some of our roster holes.

Reactions: WF19

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I've said it a hundred threads now that the team is on the rise. I"ll look for the interview where Yzerman says that soon or later you need to bring in already proven players to mentor the young guys. This will be the year they make a huge jump. Look at this season, they ran out of gas or whatever you want to call it. We were in a wildcard spot for long time. Larkin kept up, Bert kept up and so did Seider. Raymond slowed down and Fabbri got hurt it was Ned's first season as a #1 and Greiss shit the bed. So yes we are too good to hope for a lottery win. The bonus with Yzerman is he always has a ton of picks and some good scouting. We have 10 picks this year and he can go all in on centers and maybe grab a few more LD. You can also look at to we have that are supposed to be top 6 players. There is too many and for the bottom 6 Yzerman is gonna let guys try out for the spot but again we have to many potentials. So that being said if we mirror the first half of the season but with a healthy Vrana, Berggren and we sign a higher caliber center, then how are we not a significantly better team? Sure we have Tampa,To and Boston and florida but those teams are going to also have cap casualties as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad