Would you be happy/mad at making the playoffs next season?

Would you be happy or mad at making the playoffs next season?

• Happy

Votes: 79 76.0%
  • Mad

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • “I’m dead inside”

Votes: 22 21.2%

• Total voters

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Let’s say the Wings sign someone like Trocheck/Strome/Copp and a veteran defenseman in free agency, then a new coach gets them to overachieve and they make the playoffs as an 8 seed.

Are you happy or mad at this?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Even though I do think next years draft class looks phenomenal, I would be happy if they pulled this off as a young team, and I have no issues with them trying to make moves this off-season to position them for trying.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Duh I'd be happy. After years of pain? Hell yeah. We can make improvements and still continue to add to our young core, it's not mutually exclusive. A 16-20 overall pick can still become a very good player. If we make the playoffs that means our core is better than what we think

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Let’s say the Wings sign someone like Trocheck/Strome/Copp and a veteran defenseman in free agency, then a new coach gets them to overachieve and they make the playoffs as an 8 seed.

I mean, I'd be ecstatic. It would mean our young guys have taken the next step and all elements gelled.

I have a question about acquiring Copp. Note, I'm not asking this to insinuate you must be stoned to want him, but I don't get the fervor on this board to get him, and to slot him as the #2 pivot. He's having a realgud outlier year, but I never saw him as more than a solid 3rd liner on a good team. This is an open question for anyone; what makes you want to pay him to be a 2C based on his body of work?

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
I voted happy. But I don’t like the poll. Mad that we make the playoffs? No one is gonna be mad.

But I do prefer one more year of asset collection. But yes, getting back to playoff hockey would be awesome. I just would like us to be able to do something when we get there.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Making playoffs and get killed in the first round ? Winning draft lottery next year will make me happy, everything else is whatever

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I voted happy. But I don’t like the poll. Mad that we make the playoffs? No one is gonna be mad.

But I do prefer one more year of asset collection. But yes, getting back to playoff hockey would be awesome. I just would like us to be able to do something when we get there.
I’ve seen people say 1) making it next year is too soon and 2) we need more high draft picks before we compete and 3) next years draft is worth being terrible for.

I could say disappointed/upset if that is more appropriate?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
giphy.gif

(Although I’d be elated if the wings made it even as first round fodder.)

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
I’ve seen people say 1) making it next year is too soon and 2) we need more high draft picks before we compete and 3) next years draft is worth being terrible for.

I could say disappointed/upset if that is more appropriate?

If we’re in the hunt, bring on some playoff hockey. If we’re not, let’s get a good asset. Picking 10-16 is the worst outcome.

As for the poll, would you rather make the playoffs or finish within the lottery range 22-32. (Or maybe a different range 27-32. Unsure)

* and those 2c options feel like Weiss and Nielsen. Although Holland catches grief on them if I remember correctly they were the best options available and the majority was pretty stoked to get them)

Last edited:

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
I can take one more year of 'sucking' as next draft looks very stacked. However I would love to be in the playoffs next year. So for me, its either in the playoffs, or comfortably out of them.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Heck after 6 years of no playoff hockey, I'd be 100% thrilled to make the playoffs. Even if we got swept in the first round. Just to make the playoffs would be sweet.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
If we’re in the hunt, bring on some playoff hockey. If we’re not, let’s get a good asset. Picking 10-16 is the worst outcome.

As for the poll, would you rather make the playoffs or finish within the lottery range 22-32. (Or maybe a different range 27-32. Unsure)

* and those 2c options feel like Weiss and Nielsen. Although Holland catches grief on them if I remember correctly they were the best options available and the majority was pretty stoked to get them)

Picking 10-16 next year is looking similar to picking 10-16 in 2019 or 2020.

Fantili might be a Shane Wright level guy or better, and he might go anywhere from #2 to #5. Then a guy like Leo Carlsson is there. Michkov, etc.

Who is Worth Watching for 2023 NHL Draft?

Video: Early Look at the 2023 NHL Draft with Scott Wheeler – DobberProspects

2023 is looking like a tremendous class. Bring on being a bubble team for the 22-23 season.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
would need to sign like Gaudreau+Malkin+Letang+some other D to huge deals+probably trade for some established Goalie for that to even be a realistic possibility

at which point the Wings would not only be an aging team that barely squeaks into the Playoffs but they would probably have cap troubles down the line with paying Seider/Raymond as well

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Mad.

Yeh, you made the playoffs. Yeh, you got bounced in 4.

I want a season like last, with some improvements from young players. Making the playoffs next year in my opinion, sets the team up for mediocrity.

And as a draft guy, 2023 is loaded with high end centers.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

This is what the poll should have been, damn should have consulted with you first Lead… lol

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
I think a little playoff experience would be good for the team. Heck, I think contending until game 82 and barely not making it would be good for the team. I think that more seasons in a row of a dead season by early March would be bad for the team. I think that focusing on the draft is like a gambler on tilt exclaiming that he's "due".

Build as you can with good drafts and trades, use the salary cap to attract established talent, and try to move further along each year. The playoffs are, by definition, further along.

-dale

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I think i'm the only one who thinks after this summer and a flurry of roster changes we are in the playoffs next year. Everyone is underestimating the possible changes that can be made this summer with the roster not too mention a new coaching staff. So yes i"ll be ecstatic.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I think i'm the only one who thinks after this summer and a flurry of roster changes we are in the playoffs next year. Everyone is underestimating the possible changes that can be made this summer with the roster not too mention a new coaching staff. So yes i"ll be ecstatic.

With the participation trophy.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
This is what the poll should have been, damn should have consulted with you first Lead… lol
All good my man (?). Its a good conversation to have regardless of poll wording.

I just think some can stomach 1 more year of the suck. But whenever the playoff train comes to town, we’re hopping on.

bedtime20

nap nap
Nov 30, 2018
Metro Detroit
I wasn't paying too much attention to this team the last time we made it. I look forward to actually being able to properly enjoy Red Wings playoff hockey.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I wasn't paying too much attention to this team the last time we made it. I look forward to actually being able to properly enjoy Red Wings playoff hockey.
The one benefit of the Wings being in the basement for a while is i started to pay way more attention to drafts,prospects, cap space and how the process works. I've been a fan since the early 90's but didn't pay attention to draft and prospects until we actually didn't make the playoffs. I remember seeing Zetterberg live as a rookie and saying to my buddy this guy looks right good. Now I follow everything. Fun fact... i've been so bored today i've done a solid 4-5 hours of reading posts on here 😂

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad