Would you be content with Kadri as a #2 center?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
I think, quite honestly - that Nazzy is going to be looked at very critically this year. I've been saying this a lot lately - but it wouldn't surprise me if Naz is traded next season, and I think the only reason why he hasn't been, is due to the fact that he is very very talented and skilled. if you want to toss in the 'young' factor in there, we can toss the young factor in there.

But I do personally feel that if he does not show an overall improvement (not just points wise) but in a lot of different areas he could be in trouble. Shanahan said it how everyone comes to camp is going to be indictive on who really wants to be here. And it's not just about Naz's offensive output anymore that is in question but what else he brings as a centre that we need.

And as this always boils down to Holland & Bozak vs Kadri, i think people know I don't have a horse in any race - but i think they're going to be looking at it through the (albeit limited) centre depth we have.

We currently have

Bozak
Kadri

right now.

Holland is going to be challenging for a job
the year after
Carrick and/or Gauthier will be maybe ready to challenge (not so much Freddy but def. Carrick).

If Nylander is ready at ALL, you know they'll be playing him on wing or grooming him on the 4th line to give him NHL centre-ice minutes.

that is
Bozak-Holland-Kadri-Carrick-Gauthier & Nylander fighting for 4 positions.

Before people get started on me - I don't think Bozak is going to be here after his 4 years is up. that leaves 5. Carrick for the 4th line, Gauthier for the third, Holland potentially playing winger minutes, which means Nazzy & Nylander fighting for #1 (or even that #2 position). Even if Nylander isn't ready for centre ice duties yet - that means in possibly three years, Naz is going to have to be dependent on having 1st line duties not 2nd. and if we're baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad this season (and there isn't anything lining up that makes me believe we're not going to struggle mightily, we're drafting top 10 in a massively deep draft for centres that are all projected to be #1s in the league. (and the top 3 = franchise changers).

So if Naz doesn't step up on the areas of his games that he is weak on - or - adapt to being a winger (which everyone here keeps bleating that isn't possible because he sucks at wing) then we've got ourselves a conundrum.

As my personal belief is - while Shanahan wants skill upside - he also wants/needs the work ethic as well. (and Im not saying that Nazem doesn't have it - i'm just saying that he could find himself in a situation that he's crowded out).

Kadri's spot in the lineup isn't in jeopardy, he's probably our only fixture as a top 6 C, neither do I see anyone bumping him down like how he bumped down Grabovski. Gauthier, Holland, Nylander, Carrick aren't a threat to Kadri, or Bozak. Also, Unless we get blown away in a trade proposal he's going to be a leaf for a fairly long while. And if Shanahan was so keen on work ethic and regiments and such our cookie monster Phil would of been on the trading block by now.

Only way I can see Kadri being traded or no longer remaining a leaf is

1) A team offers a mountain load for him
2) He wants a long term juicy contract and the leafs are too hesitant to give him one

Again, I don't see anyone stealing his top 6 spot for next year, or the year after etc. If we get McDavid then sure Kadri can start biting his nails.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
down by one, with under a minute and faceoff in offensive zone.
you have the choice of Bozak, Kadri, Holland or Santorelli

I honestly think they have to go with Santorelli at this point
Kadri/Santorelli/Lupul?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Holland making a serious effort this offseason to become a better defensive player that will be the go to in these situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad