Would you be content with Kadri as a #2 center?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If he becomes good at faceoffs then sure. He is a high end #2 line forward, offense wise.

Here is the crux of it.

He has to not only improve his face-offs, he needs to improve his strength for down low coverage, win a few battles on the boards, he needs to improve his defensive awareness, he also needs to work on committing to be a better pro by learning from his peers like Stamkos with a proper summer workout routine. He will be 24 by the start of the upcoming season, players drafted in his draft class and even ones after him who are younger, have figured this out. One can hope Kadri will.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
He will have a similar game and style as a Ribiero minus the off the ice character problems

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Agreed, Kadri would be more logical as a winger on our team, than Holland. Holland is stronger defensively, particularly on down low coverage and his face-off % is also better.

The Kane comparison is a good one, he can be a poor man's Kane on our team where his weaknesses can be masked playing on the wing.

No he's not.

And for the billionth ****ing time, Kadri was already tried on wing, and EVERYONE in the coaching staff says he's way better at C. He's staying at C no matter what, get used to it.

mikebel111*

No he's not.

And for the billionth ****ing time, Kadri was already tried on wing, and EVERYONE in the coaching staff says he's way better at C. He's staying at C no matter what, get used to it.
We could honestly draft a C 210th overall, and I wouldn't be surprised to see posts saying that he should be the Centre over Kadri.
Sorry boys Holland at C isn't a superior option than Kadri at C.
Dont know if that suggestion is laughable or cringe worthy

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Our so called number 2 center Kadri is outproducing our number 1 center in both offensive and defensive numbers at a younger age, but we're concerned with the #2 spot. Jerry this place is gold I tell ya, gold. :laugh:

Mojo19

Loyal since 1987
Dec 29, 2006
Nova Scotia
Does anyone think Kadri has reached his full potential?
I think this is a break-out year for him, especially considering it's a contract year.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think, quite honestly - that Nazzy is going to be looked at very critically this year. I've been saying this a lot lately - but it wouldn't surprise me if Naz is traded next season, and I think the only reason why he hasn't been, is due to the fact that he is very very talented and skilled. if you want to toss in the 'young' factor in there, we can toss the young factor in there.

But I do personally feel that if he does not show an overall improvement (not just points wise) but in a lot of different areas he could be in trouble. Shanahan said it how everyone comes to camp is going to be indictive on who really wants to be here. And it's not just about Naz's offensive output anymore that is in question but what else he brings as a centre that we need.

And as this always boils down to Holland & Bozak vs Kadri, i think people know I don't have a horse in any race - but i think they're going to be looking at it through the (albeit limited) centre depth we have.

We currently have

Bozak
Kadri

right now.

Holland is going to be challenging for a job
the year after
Carrick and/or Gauthier will be maybe ready to challenge (not so much Freddy but def. Carrick).

If Nylander is ready at ALL, you know they'll be playing him on wing or grooming him on the 4th line to give him NHL centre-ice minutes.

that is
Bozak-Holland-Kadri-Carrick-Gauthier & Nylander fighting for 4 positions.

Before people get started on me - I don't think Bozak is going to be here after his 4 years is up. that leaves 5. Carrick for the 4th line, Gauthier for the third, Holland potentially playing winger minutes, which means Nazzy & Nylander fighting for #1 (or even that #2 position). Even if Nylander isn't ready for centre ice duties yet - that means in possibly three years, Naz is going to have to be dependent on having 1st line duties not 2nd. and if we're baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad this season (and there isn't anything lining up that makes me believe we're not going to struggle mightily, we're drafting top 10 in a massively deep draft for centres that are all projected to be #1s in the league. (and the top 3 = franchise changers).

So if Naz doesn't step up on the areas of his games that he is weak on - or - adapt to being a winger (which everyone here keeps bleating that isn't possible because he sucks at wing) then we've got ourselves a conundrum.

As my personal belief is - while Shanahan wants skill upside - he also wants/needs the work ethic as well. (and Im not saying that Nazem doesn't have it - i'm just saying that he could find himself in a situation that he's crowded out).

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think, quite honestly - that Nazzy is going to be looked at very critically this year. I've been saying this a lot lately - but it wouldn't surprise me if Naz is traded next season, and I think the only reason why he hasn't been, is due to the fact that he is very very talented and skilled. if you want to toss in the 'young' factor in there, we can toss the young factor in there.

But I do personally feel that if he does not show an overall improvement (not just points wise) but in a lot of different areas he could be in trouble. Shanahan said it how everyone comes to camp is going to be indictive on who really wants to be here. And it's not just about Naz's offensive output anymore that is in question but what else he brings as a centre that we need.

And as this always boils down to Holland & Bozak vs Kadri, i think people know I don't have a horse in any race - but i think they're going to be looking at it through the (albeit limited) centre depth we have.

We currently have

Bozak
Kadri

right now.

Holland is going to be challenging for a job
the year after
Carrick and/or Gauthier will be maybe ready to challenge (not so much Freddy but def. Carrick).

If Nylander is ready at ALL, you know they'll be playing him on wing or grooming him on the 4th line to give him NHL centre-ice minutes.

that is
Bozak-Holland-Kadri-Carrick-Gauthier & Nylander fighting for 4 positions.

Before people get started on me - I don't think Bozak is going to be here after his 4 years is up. that leaves 5. Carrick for the 4th line, Gauthier for the third, Holland potentially playing winger minutes, which means Nazzy & Nylander fighting for #1 (or even that #2 position). Even if Nylander isn't ready for centre ice duties yet - that means in possibly three years, Naz is going to have to be dependent on having 1st line duties not 2nd. and if we're baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad this season (and there isn't anything lining up that makes me believe we're not going to struggle mightily, we're drafting top 10 in a massively deep draft for centres that are all projected to be #1s in the league. (and the top 3 = franchise changers).

So if Naz doesn't step up on the areas of his games that he is weak on - or - adapt to being a winger (which everyone here keeps bleating that isn't possible because he sucks at wing) then we've got ourselves a conundrum.

As my personal belief is - while Shanahan wants skill upside - he also wants/needs the work ethic as well. (and Im not saying that Nazem doesn't have it - i'm just saying that he could find himself in a situation that he's crowded out).

I agree with a lot of what you said I'm this post, not all of it, but a lot of it is correct. Primarily Nazem's ever young tag running out this season. The leash is shortening, time to put up or shut up, you can only be a prospect for so much time. Certainly not just 3 years before UFA status.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
kadri is a fine 2...its just that our number 1 is a number 3C on a contending team

Yup. Bozak has done an admirable job "filling in" for us in that #1 C role, but it's very clear that he's just not that in reality. He's our bridge, until we find someone.

Ideally, we'd have a REAL #1 there(maybe Nylander in a few years?), then Kadri who would be a nice #2, then Bozak at #3. Gauthier could slot in at #4 one day.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Having Nylander and Kadri as our 1C and 2C sounds really awful IMO. Admittedly I've never seen Nylander play, but just having two finesse small centreman, who's defense have both been questioned seems like a recipe for disaster..

Again, just an uniformed opinion -- but I'd rather have Nylander on the wing, and a reliable centreman in between Kessel and JVR.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Having Nylander and Kadri as our 1C and 2C sounds really awful IMO. Admittedly I've never seen Nylander play, but just having two finesse small centreman, who's defense have both been questioned seems like a recipe for disaster..

Again, just an uniformed opinion -- but I'd rather have Nylander on the wing, and a reliable centreman in between Kessel and JVR.

They are typical top end C size.
5ft10-6ft2 offers the best balance of speed strength and center of gravity with the shorter range being a little quicker.

Stamkos 6ft 195
Crosby 5ft11 200 (legs)

They normal height for a C

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I agree, Nylander is probably better suited at the wing, unless he puts on 20 lbs as he matures.

Nylander, Kadri against Kopitar, Carter. Can one imagine? You may be able to get away with one at Center but not 2 and match up well.

Holland is 6'2 195
Bozak is 6'1 195
and Nylander?

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
he's been low 40s in faceoff % for to long for me to be happy with him as a top 6 C

im a believer in puck possession and it all begins with faceoffs. if you know you can't put out his line in key situations then that's an issue

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
They are typical top end C size.
5ft10-6ft2 offers the best balance of speed strength and center of gravity with the shorter range being a little quicker.

Stamkos 6ft 195
Crosby 5ft11 200 (legs)

They normal height for a C

You're right that they're the prototypical size of centremen, especially in the EC.

Still, you don't bring up the issue with both of their defensive games -- which could be a big problem..

Again, I'm just going on hear-say on Nylander.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I agree, Nylander is probably better suited at the wing, unless he puts on 20 lbs as he matures.

Nylander, Kadri against Kopitar, Carter. Can one imagine? You may be able to get away with one at Center but not 2 and match up well.

Holland is 6'2 195
Bozak is 6'1 195
and Nylander?

Maybe. But an 18 year old kid gaining 20lbs by the time he's 20 is not exactly a crazy thing to have happen. I was 195 when I graduated grade 12 at the age of 18, and I was 210lbs by the age of 20. And I wasn't working out like these guys do.

Nylander is listed as 5'11" and 170lbs right now, so yes, he's a bit small. If he ends up 6'0" and 190lbs, I think he could handle #1 C duties just fine.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Holland is 6'2 195
Bozak is 6'1 195
and Nylander?

Nylander is ripped. He needs 10-15 lbs no big deal, 10 week job.

He is 5ft11 180?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
At times size can mislead, or lack of size can mislead. I want to see if Nylander can win battles down low, Gilmour did this regularly despite being small in stature.

But Kadri and Nylander down the middle has an Edmonton Oiler quality to it from what I see.

One per team is best, surrounded by 2 bigger and more rounded Centers.

All good teams are able to throw out a diverse Center group down the middle. Not all that are the same, i.e. small and skilled.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

Holland is 6'2 195
Bozak is 6'1 195
and Nylander?

Getzlaf - Kesler
Thornton - Couture
Crosby - Malkin
Backes - Statsny
Toews - Richards

Baby steps though right? We'll have to make it to the cup finals to play any meaningful games against the WC teams.

Heres hoping Nylander impresses, Gauthier finds an offensive game, and/or maybe Kadri fully breaks outs - offensively & defensively.

I just don't like our centre depth compared to the best teams in the league, but it's common knowledge we're not even close to being an elite team.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
he's been low 40s in faceoff % for to long for me to be happy with him as a top 6 C

im a believer in puck possession and it all begins with faceoffs. if you know you can't put out his line in key situations then that's an issue

Agreed, he has to be up around 49-50% if he wants to be a top 6 center. He also does have to make sure he is never taking a shift off, especially in the defensive zone.

I see Nylander as a winger, kind of like Jeff Skinner was pushed over. Unless his defensive game is a lot better then I know of.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
down by one, with under a minute and faceoff in offensive zone.
you have the choice of Bozak, Kadri, Holland or Santorelli

I honestly think they have to go with Santorelli at this point
Kadri/Santorelli/Lupul?

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
Quite happy. It's probably what he is more suited for. It's also nice that the guys still have a few things he can work on and improve.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre

He's mid 40's, and the difference between a 45 and 50% faceoff man is just 5 faceoff wins per 100 taken. So let's say 1 faceoff win every game difference. Oh ya and he's a young C I don't think those guys come off as great faceoff men off the bat. And he's our best puck possession forward so there goes your puck possession point too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad