Would you be content with Kadri as a #2 center?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Although he's starting to show rust, I think "plug" is a bit strong for Lupul.

The other side was a disaster for much of the year though.

Lupul would probably score 30 goals last year with a Center like Duchene. I don't buy the he is a plug idea. More to do to His Center not helping him much last year.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
If we can have a player like Bozak, who isn't particularly great at anything, just average across the board as our #1C, then Kadri is more then enough for our #2C spot. He put up 50 points playing with Clarkson, while Bozak has trouble doing that playing more minutes, with #1PP time, as well as playing with JVR and Kessel. Kadri is also one of our top possession players and drives the play, our only center capable of carrying the play. Hopefully Nylander works out, so he can take over the #2 spot, so Kadri can take over #1C. Kadri is young and only getting better. He will be one of our top two centers for years to come.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Lupul would probably score 30 goals last year with a Center like Duchene. I don't buy the he is a plug idea. More to do to His Center not helping him much last year.

Based on what?

Lupul was playing lazy last year, partly due to playing injured most of the time I imagine. It is exactly what you would call an off-year for a player like him, yes, they happen. Kadri was easily the best player on the line last year... you just can't see the forest from the trees.

Oh yeah by the way, I don't think we're going anywhere with Bozak in our top-6 either, for as much as you love to rip Kadri.

I am not surprised how the poll is going, ours fans love mediocrity. Not all, but most. We still have fans that miss Grabovksi, I said the same thing about Grabovski years ago. We will not make the playoffs with him as a top 6 Center.

I think Kadri is better, we can squeak into the playoffs possibly with him as a top 6 Center, but we will not win a cup with him as a #1 or #2 C. I will stake my reputation on this, it just isn't realistic when you see who won the cup.

You say this as a lover of Bozak? The Interactif runs strong in this post.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Absolutely. Kadri is a very good young player in this league. He should be fine in that role. What I want to see is a guy like Holland getting a bigger role on this team. I'm really intrigued in seeing what he can do over a full season's worth of games with heavy minutes.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Yes, of course. I'll take a 23 year old 50 point centre @ $2.9M on my second line any day of the week. The problem is not the 2C on this team, it's about getting a true 1C. Bozak has good chemistry with our top wingers but it's not a winning combo down the middle. Now a true 1C + Bozak and Kadri, now that's good depth down the middle.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
I think he's already a lower end number one center. His points/60 is really good and he's had some Godawful linemates. He's also our best possession forward.

jughead42*

From a skill standpoint yes. But he is a selfish hockey player and a whiner and diver, and a cheapshot artist. Everytime I watch him play, i think of Mike Ribiero, who I cannot stomach.

x2 If this guy is our number 2 center in a few years we're further from the cup than we've ever been. The selection Nylander makes Kadri the most expendable asset in the organization, and it would not surprise me in the least if he were the centerpiece of the deal for Gorges that was nixed by a no trade. Kadri has Hab written all over him, we might as well set him free to frolic and flop on the ice with his hockey soul mates in Montreal.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
x2 If this guy is our number 2 center in a few years we're further from the cup than we've ever been. The selection Nylander makes Kadri the most expendable asset in the organization, and it would not surprise me in the least if he were the centerpiece of the deal for Gorges that was nixed by a no trade. Kadri has Hab written all over him, we might as well set him free to frolic and flop on the ice with his hockey soul mates in Montreal.

Every player dives, and the cries of "selfish" seem pretty insane given his assist totals. You're crying about the character of a 23 year old that you've never met. Also, Nylander's a RW, and even with experience at center, you gotta understand that Phil Kessel, Jeff O'Neill, loads of wingers were drafted as centers.

There's no such thing as an expendable 23 year old 50 point player.

mikebel111*

That Frattin sure is an elite player!

Kadri>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Frattin

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Kadri is good as a #2 center. That's not the problem. The problem is we don't have a real #1 center

Tyler Biggs*

I would move Kadri to left wing, look at Patrick Kane in Chicago I realize Kadri is not the same talent but both same size, good hands & vision and not great defensively. Just because Kadri played centre in junior doesn't mean he has to play centre in NHL, move Holland between Kadri & Lupul.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
He's already an above average 2nd line center. Nazem Kadri is top 40 in the entire NHL in scoring over the past two seasons (18th among centers), his first seasons as an NHL regular.

Yes he has his defensive shortcomings but I don't know why people don't want to admit that Kadri is damned good offensively. Most teams would be happy with Kadri as their #2C, especially considering his age and how much he could improve. I think Kadri could very well become a good, but not elite #1C.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would move Kadri to left wing, look at Patrick Kane in Chicago I realize Kadri is not the same talent but both same size, good hands & vision and not great defensively. Just because Kadri played centre in junior doesn't mean he has to play centre in NHL, move Holland between Kadri & Lupul.

Agreed, Kadri would be more logical as a winger on our team, than Holland. Holland is stronger defensively, particularly on down low coverage and his face-off % is also better.

The Kane comparison is a good one, he can be a poor man's Kane on our team where his weaknesses can be masked playing on the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad