Would trading Kadri for T. J. Brodie and Mark Jankowski worked out better?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I posted this on the Kadri vs Kerfoot thread and it didn't get any responses so I will ask it here as a new topic. Prior to the Kadri trade for Tyson Barrie and Alex Kerfoot, there was a report that Kadri turned down a trade to Calgary since they were on his no team trade list. The reported return would have been T.J. Brodie and Mark Jankowski. So knowing all that would that have been the better trade for Kyle Dubas to have made or was he better off going with Barrie and Kerfoot?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Kerfoot and Barrie have a new season to work it out. I have my doubts, but weirder things have happened.

Reactions: leuf

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Looking at it today, probably better off with the current deal due to Brodie missing part of the season due to that condition and he never seemed to recover from that. Jankow is bigger and might fit the Leafs setup more but his productions is horrible and will be run out of town before Xmas.

On the other hand, I don’t think Kadri will have as productive offensively if Leafs managed to keep him. Would be fun to have him and see what type of lines Keefe can use.
Like I said earlier in this thread or another thread, Leafs 3C must kill PK as AM and JT will pretty much always start in the Ozone.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Jankowski wouldn't play and idk about Brodie. He might a better fit than Barrie, but I think he's been having a tough time the past few years? Is the difference between Brodie and Barrie bigger than the difference between Kerfoot and a pressboxer? Eh, maybe if you really hate one of them, but that's hardly a slam dunk. I'm far from happy with either or Barrie or Kerfoot, but at least they do the jobs we need them to do, however poorly. If we were sitting here with Brodie and Jankowski as Leafs and debating a Barrie/Kerfoot trade, I really doubt we'd be any happier than reality.

Reactions: qqaz and balls816

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Looking at it today, probably better off with the current deal due to Brodie missing part of the season due to that condition and he never seemed to recover from that. Jankow is bigger and might fit the Leafs setup more but his productions is horrible and will be run out of town before Xmas.

On the other hand, I don’t think Kadri will have as productive offensively if Leafs managed to keep him. Would be fun to have him and see what type of lines Keefe can use.
Like I said earlier in this thread or another thread, Leafs 3C must kill PK as AM and JT will pretty much always start in the Ozone.
I agree it would have been interesting to see Kadri playing with a Sheldon Keefe coached team compared to Mike Babcock. However besides Kadri playing on the 1st power play line with Matthews, Tavares, Marner, and Rielly that we all saw during the 2018-19 season, his production drop after the John Tavares signing.

As for Brodie when he collapsed that was very unfortunate and a terrible thing that happened to him. However its also something no one would have seen coming.

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Like Barrie, Brodie is also a pending UFA. A difference would have been that Jankowski is only now an upcoming RFA and didn't need to be signed as soon as Kerfoot did. Barrie and Kerfoot did have the better seasons in comparison too. All that considered, "what happened" appears to be working out better than "what could have been". Connor Brown would have been in the proposed trade with Calgary as well. What happens with Zaitsev and that Ottawa trade in this scenario?

Last edited:
Reactions: qqaz

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
There is no need to lie Goat will NEVER score 17 goals or 30 points in a season

Eh. Career Jankowski's averaged a 25pt pace in about 12 and a half minutes per game and Fred's been at a 15pt pace in 9 minutes per game, and nowhere near the offensive usage and linemates jankowski was force-fed early on.

7pts for Jankowski this year in the first year he's not being gifted 3rd line duty. 7pts.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I think Fred may be trending better than Jank. Jank isn't very physical either despite his size. Brodie is better at D than Barrie, but Barrie is a better all around talent and got better after the coaching change. I think they made the right move assuming they had to move Kadri.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think Fred may be trending better than Jank. Jank isn't very physical either despite his size. Brodie is better at D than Barrie, but Barrie is a better all around talent and got better after the coaching change. I think they made the right move assuming they had to move Kadri.
Wouldn't it have been weird keeping Kadri after Dubas agreed to trade him to the Flames and it didn't happen since Kadri had to approve it.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Eh. Career Jankowski's averaged a 25pt pace in about 12 and a half minutes per game and Fred's been at a 15pt pace in 9 minutes per game, and nowhere near the offensive usage and linemates jankowski was force-fed early on.

7pts for Jankowski this year in the first year he's not being gifted 3rd line duty. 7pts.

I mean if you take a guy used to being a top 9 forward and you make him a 4th line guy 9 times out of 10 his production will suffer that's how it works

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Brodie is one of the best 2 way defenders in the league and can play the right side so that alone would have made the trade better for us.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
There is no need to lie Goat will NEVER score 17 goals or 30 points in a season

I mean if you take a guy used to being a top 9 forward and you make him a 4th line guy 9 times out of 10 his production will suffer that's how it works

Who is to say that you could not take Gauthier and put him in the top 9 and he will never put up those kinds of numbers? His /60 numbers the past two years already rival Jankowski's two good seasons at ES, and he was given half the offensive zone starts and less offensively capable linemates.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Might want to see how the playoffs go before deciding how it turned out. If we win the Cup with Barrie playing a significant role or Kerfoot proves to be a playoff hero this thread looks pretty stupid.

Assuming we don't it's hard to say. I like Kerfoot more than most here but Brodie does seem like a better fit. Could we afford to keep him? Maybe.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Brodie is one of the best 2 way defenders in the league and can play the right side so that alone would have made the trade better for us.
You'd rather have Kadri and say Marincin for a full season than Kerfoot and Barrie?

Personally I'd wayyy rather have the later. Problem is that Kerfoot never really got to play that 3C role that we brought him in for with Johnsson and Kapanen. Plus he got his face smashed and was never really the same after that. He started off hot and Barrie got axed by Babs to start the year.

A full healthy year under Keefe and I think we would have been pretty happy with the trade.

Reactions: qqaz

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Like Barrie, Brodie is also a pending UFA. A difference would have been that Jankowski is only now an upcoming RFA and didn't need to be signed as soon as Kerfoot did. Barrie and Kerfoot did have the better seasons in comparison too. All that considered, "what happened" appears to be working out better than "what could have been". Connor Brown would have been in the proposed trade with Calgary as well. What happens with Zaitsev and that Ottawa trade in this scenario?

Yeah this is pretty key.

We would’ve gave up more (Brown) and are best it would’ve been a wash on the return. Brodie might fit in better, but missed time, and Kerfoot is a far better player than Jankowski.

So, it’s likely a wash at best, but likely a worse deal.

Then we need to figure out something else with Zaitsev, as Brown likely was a big piece for them in that deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad