Would other players get backlash for celebrating like Ovi?

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
So what, they can't celly on ice after a goal, they can't celly when they win the cup? Let the players get excited. I would rather it be entertaining than boring as ****

Reactions: Riddum

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
What a great response considering the thread is basically about Ovechkin not getting backlash. Fight your own battles I guess.
Except that Ovi HAS been getting backlash. E.G

Also, plenty of posters have commented on how childish it was of him to celebrate like this.

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
That is exactly my point though. I think for OV because of his personality he's "allowed" to act this way, whereas I think if Crosby/McDavid/Toews/etc. acted this way there would be a little bit of outrage.

For like the millionth time, I'm not upset about it, and I'm not asking if people care about what naysayers have to say about it. lol. I'm just asking if people think there would be some backlash if it were someone else.

If you want to know the answer so bad, why not look at other Caps players. I see Backstrom with him in a lot of photos. Is there backlash against him for participating? Is there uproar with Vranan? He's doing some wild stuff along side him. Oshie? He's chugging bears beside OV and partying with the cup at the clubs too. Anyone mad at him? You make it seem like OV is doing this all on his own, when in fact team members are likely with him all day/night doing the same things he is.

To answer your questions, no I don't think it would be any different if it were Crosby or Toews acting like this. Anyways it's a weird question to ask.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
He licked the entire Cup top to bottom.

Not gonna lie, I spit my drink. :laugh:

That is exactly my point though. I think for OV because of his personality he's "allowed" to act this way, whereas I think if Crosby/McDavid/Toews/etc. acted this way there would be a little bit of outrage.

They wouldn't do it but man if they did it would be awesome and humanize them to fans like me who understand the incredible talents they are but think they are boring people who have never uttered a word their publicist didn't pre-approve.

agree... toews need to start drinking or doing some drugs to wake up...... earn your pay boy!

I agree, maybe if he gets drunk a few days this summer he can hit 35 goals once in his career. ;)

Oh and after that tweet about Oveckin, Cox got so much poop for it he walked it back the next day.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNT87

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Why does everything in the NHL need to be interpreted in context of nationality? You just don't see this in the NBA, NFL or MLB.
Unless 'good old Canadian' is a euphemism for how friggin' conservative the league is, I don't understand this at all.
Party on Ovechkin.
The funny thing is Ovechkin is what a lot of people consider in a Canadian hockey player. He's that prototypical old school Canadian that likes to have some pops after a game.

Only thing is his English isn't up to standard

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Also, plenty of posters have commented on how childish it was of him to celebrate like this.

A handful of people out of how many though?

No matter what happens there are always people on both sides of a story. There has never been 100% on one side. Considering Cox is front and center should confirm that the Ovi bashing is just the minority of people

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He licked the entire Cup top to bottom.
Ya his tongue being on there is the least of my worries if I'm touching the cup. You know he must've strapped that thing onto himself during sex. How and where I don't know

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He should have gotten an early night's sleep, gone to church the next morning, and have been back to practice by noon the next day. Follow in the footsteps of the 80s Oilers.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
context matters. Ovie has been battling like a warrior for 13 seasons. he's earned it.

if Crosby or anyone else had his same story, there'd be no problem. imagine if it took 13 years for Crosby to get a cup -- they probably would have closed Canada for the day to celebrate.

Why do you think Canada would care? Most Canadians care about their team not that certain Canadians win the cup.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I was recently having a discussion (read: being *****ed at for my opinion) and was wondering what you guys thought over here.

We've all seen Ovechkin's crazy antics during his Stanley Cup celebration, and I was wondering if a player like Crosby, Toews, McDavid, Stamkos, Thornton, or some other "good ol' canadian boy" celebrated this way would they receive backlash?

I can't help but think that if Crosby was behaving similarly to Ovechkin he would catch a lot of crap (particularly with ending his speech by slurring, stammering, and dropping an F-bomb). I can't imagine Don Cherry or some other media members not piping up if some other players were running around sloppy drunk.

For the record: I don't care that Ovi is acting this way. I wouldn't care if anyone acted this way. If you win the cup, you celebrate however you want in my opinion. Also, edit: I think McDavid would get a bit of a pass, due to being so young.
I guess that except for Don Cerry's country club nobody else would care actually.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
He does nothing wrong. Ovie just celebrates with his city and people while others will do that with whores and white powder

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

If Rafa Nadal wanted to celebrate like that then I wouldn't give a f***. People can celebrate their accomplishments however they want.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
I was recently having a discussion (read: being *****ed at for my opinion) and was wondering what you guys thought over here.

We've all seen Ovechkin's crazy antics during his Stanley Cup celebration, and I was wondering if a player like Crosby, Toews, McDavid, Stamkos, Thornton, or some other "good ol' canadian boy" celebrated this way would they receive backlash?

I can't help but think that if Crosby was behaving similarly to Ovechkin he would catch a lot of crap (particularly with ending his speech by slurring, stammering, and dropping an F-bomb). I can't imagine Don Cherry or some other media members not piping up if some other players were running around sloppy drunk.

For the record: I don't care that Ovi is acting this way. I wouldn't care if anyone acted this way. If you win the cup, you celebrate however you want in my opinion. Also, edit: I think McDavid would get a bit of a pass, due to being so young.

-No, Ovi should celebrate all he wants, and good for him. He and Washington were the biggest chokers in the history of the NHL and arguably all of sports until this season. I mean they have been a colossal bust getting throttled by the Penguins and Rangers for 30 years and Ovi was a no show in the playoffs a number of them. Let him celebrate all he wants. They finally beat Pittsburgh.

-The fact people have slammed him and Washington since he came into the NHL for choking on yearly basis was far to much. But the Washington fans saying Ovi is the best this, Washington is a new dynasty, Holtby is better then Roy and Hasik, and all this other bs from a poor franchise is over the top. But thats ok, let the guy and Washington have their fun, they are no longer a playoff total disgrace. That honor probably belongs to Arizona or Florida now.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Alright guys, re-read my thread please, the responses do not seem to line up with the question I'm asking...

I didn't ask if any of you have a problem with Ovechkin's behavior. I didn't ask if you'd have a problem with anyone else's behavior.

The question is: Do you think that some other players would catch some backlash for celebrating like Ovechkin?

It would depend on the player. As much as Ovechkin has been criticized, and likely will be for his celebration, he's had far more of an emotional release to get through.
To elaborate on my first statement, I think players like Joe Thornton who has caught a lot of grief for not winning it would be forgiven. A much younger player wouldn't however.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
If Rafa Nadal wanted to celebrate like that then I wouldn't give a ****. People can celebrate their accomplishments however they want.

This for me, a little.

But also if you've won 11 and you're going this hard, I don't think it's the win anymore, I think you probably just have a substance abuse problem. If Ovechkin was doing this after Stanley Cup number 6 I'd have a few questions, but it's not. This party has been building up for like 13 years.

Also also, it's super hard to compare singles achievements vs. a team sport but Nadal winning a French Open doesn't feel all that different from Ovechkin making the playoffs, or winning a round. He's such a clay court favorite that it's almost a given at times. It's odd, they're just not comparable achievements. If Nadal won a Calendar Slam you think he wouldn't go buckwild?

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
To the question the OP posted/asked...

Depends on the player? Some would catch less (Crosby), others would catch more (just about any 1st/2nd year player).

Also depends on the nationality too.. Most of the flak Ovi is catching is from Canada. If Vegas had won, and a Canadian player on the Vegas roster pulled the same stunts you'd get Russian media outlets (those that cared anyway) picking fun at the "dumb canuckleheads".

PittsburghPens8771

Oct 1, 2017

Someone is salty. Ovi won the cup after 13 seasons (i believe). The hardest trophy in all of sports to win. The guy is like a kid at a candy store or a kid at christmas. What's wrong with the way he's celebrating? So many people are hating for no reason. Sorry guys, not everyone gets trophy's for last place.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
This for me, a little.

But also if you've won 11 and you're going this hard, I don't think it's the win anymore, I think you probably just have a substance abuse problem. If Ovechkin was doing this after Stanley Cup number 6 I'd have a few questions, but it's not. This party has been building up for like 13 years.

Also also, it's super hard to compare singles achievements vs. a team sport but Nadal winning a French Open doesn't feel all that different from Ovechkin making the playoffs, or winning a round. He's such a clay court favorite that it's almost a given at times. It's odd, they're just not comparable achievements. If Nadal won a Calendar Slam you think he wouldn't go buckwild?

I guess you're right but there are bigger problems in life than to worry about how a person celebrates.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I guess you're right but there are bigger problems in life than to worry about how a person celebrates.

hey, I agree with you, even if the guy were on a dangerous bender I think the most it'd get from me is a "wow, hope he stays safe". not my life to live, as long as he's not hurting other people it's not really an issue.

I just couldn't help but think of the additional context involved

Reactions: Hippasus

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I hate the Caps but I’ve enjoyed Ovie’s celebrations. The guy is genuinely so excited to have won, good for him, seriously.

How can anyone have a problem with that???

Should he be a robot and spew cliches like every other player?

I hope ovie celebrates all summer

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes