Would other players get backlash for celebrating like Ovi?

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Actually, I think being from Russia makes it easier to get away with.

Not that I actually care. Party up!
I agree. I think the Good Ol' Canadian boys would get more harshly criticized, which is kind of the point of my post. lol

Russians/other Euros are often criticized for other things, but I think in this scenario they would be held to a lower standard of perceived "professionalism".

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
went on a month long bender including being pictured shirtless basically 24/7

The audacity.. think of the children etc etc

f*** I get excited getting off work early on a Tuesday, I can’t begin to imagine the feeling of fulfilling your life long dream and everything you’ve worked toward, winning a Stanley cup. Especially after so much hope and failure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hippasus

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Ben Wallace‏Verified account @Fear_DaFro Jun 10

We definitely did some partying when we won the ship, but this dude is on another level. Ovechkin is my spirit animal (that's what kids are calling it these days, right???).
1f412.png
1f412.png

This is my favourite comment so far

Reactions: Hippasus

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
The odasity.. think of the children etc etc

**** I get excited getting off work early on a Tuesday, I can’t begin to imagine the feeling of fulfilling your life long dream and everything you’ve worked toward, winning a Stanley cup. Especially after so much hope and failure.
I'm not usually one to pick on spelling... but it took me a solid 15 seconds to figure out that you meant "Audacity" lol

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I didn't ask if any of you have a problem with Ovechkin's behavior. I didn't ask if you'd have a problem with anyone else's behavior.

The question is: Do you think that some other players would catch some backlash for celebrating like Ovechkin?

It's a moot point honestly because that would require the guys you listed to have a personality they just don't have.

Yes Toews can be funny with his dry sense of humor, Thornton is sort of the same, but Stamkos and Crosby are just too boring for words. I'm sure they would drink and get drunk privately but it is just not in their nature to let go of their inhibitions the way a guy like Ovechkin can do.

And don't respond that "I don't know them". At some point after ten plus years of interviews and seeing players day with Cup videos, and mic'd up and Winter Classic behind the scenes, Quest for the Cup type of stuff you can get a small glimpse of how a persons personality is. I know they know the cameras are there but come on there isn't some big switch that can turn them from Stamkos to Ovechkin once the camera turns off.

A long way of saying it but nope, I don't think those players would ever get any grief for celebrating like Ovechkin and the Caps, because they never would, and more importantly IF they did they would NEVER let anyone outside their inner circle see it.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Ding...Winner
Actually "ding... not even close". Lol I really like Ovechkin as a person and hockey player... I even said in the OP that I personally don't care how he's celebrating and I'm glad he's having fun. Try again.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
There’s been backlash towards Ovi from corncobs like Cox and Olbermann. Do I think there’d be more? I dunno. I think we’re fooling ourselves if we say we’d put Toews, Crosby, Kane (...yeah), so on under a more intense microscope. I wish everyone celebrated like him. It f***in rocks

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I don't think so. Hockey fans are way too worried about things like this. I never hear fans of other sports ask these questions.
I think it's because there is some sort of aura around hockey players that they are somewhat more "classy" than other athletes.

Reactions: Plural

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
There’s been backlash towards Ovi from corncobs like Cox and Olbermann. Do I think there’d be more? I dunno. I think we’re fooling ourselves if we say we’d put Toews, Crosby, Kane (...yeah), so on under a more intense microscope. I wish everyone celebrated like him. It ****in rocks

Cox is just a jock-sniffer who would be throwing his arm over Matthews' shoulder any chance he got if the Leafs ever won the Cup and the party was on in TO.

Same goes for Simmons, another "winner" from the super-awesome pool of hockey media personnel that run the show here. :laugh:

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
As an example if Crosby was acting like that it would so out of character for him it would be kind of shocking. He's been very diplomatic and reserved since he's come into the league. Still wouldn't care if he did though.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I think it's because there is some sort of aura around hockey players that they are somewhat more "classy" than other athletes.
Right, but only the North American boys, right. It's alright for Euros to be a little trailer parky, right? Especially if they're Russian.

I don't think most people would care if Crosby ever did this. Most would think it out of character because he's never shown any inkling toward acting this way. This is par for the course for Ovechkin. I actually thought the title of the thread was aimed at Ovechkin's goal celebrations. This guy is just pure thirst for life and apparently he can hold his liquor. This is what it looks like when people channel their inner child as full grown adults and it's beautiful.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There’s been backlash towards Ovi from corncobs like Cox and Olbermann. Do I think there’d be more? I dunno. I think we’re fooling ourselves if we say we’d put Toews, Crosby, Kane (...yeah), so on under a more intense microscope. I wish everyone celebrated like him. It ****in rocks
I was going to ask if there has been any backlash, as I haven't really heard a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad