Would other players get backlash for celebrating like Ovi?

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
It's not like there's a lot of players who had an NHL ad about them saying "If you think this is a celebration... wait until he wins it all".

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Players who didn't eat shit for over a decade before winning it.....they would get some backlash.

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
OV's partying doesn't even seem that bad, even with all the attention on him and the Caps. Sure they're doing some some wild things. But it isn't even that bad IMO. OV is just a big kid having the time of his life after accomplishing his life goal. Let the man be drunk 24/7 and roll in fountains. No one is getting hurt and it's literally 40+ years of pent-up frustration being let loose.

As well his wife seems to be a great woman with her head on her shoulders properly and is doing what she can to make sure nothing vile gets put out on their social media accounts. I'm sure she's in his ear when she needs to be to remind him how the cameras are rolling and the hockey world is watching him. She is the perfect ''babysitter'' for him.

She's a great woman to have beside him during this time and literally the perfect person to make sure he doesn't do anything too foolish since she is sober due to her pregnancy, so she can reel him in if need be.

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
Probably since members of hockey media tend to be Pejorative Slured?

Showing emotion? having fun? being passionate about the sport? f*** no!

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
The answer is: No.

I don't know what it is, but people have really been attacking Ovechkin more than the average guy. One of my friends on FB that is a NYR fan was saying "What a great leader - I want to punch him in the face right now) and I couldn't understand why his celebration has brought out that kind of rage.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Why does everything in the NHL need to be interpreted in context of nationality? You just don't see this in the NBA, NFL or MLB.
Unless 'good old Canadian' is a euphemism for how friggin' conservative the league is, I don't understand this at all.
Party on Ovechkin.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I was going to ask if there has been any backlash, as I haven't really heard a lot.

I’m sure there’s more, but that’s just from what I’ve seen on Twitter. Cox compared how Nadal acted to “how real champions act”, promptly got blasted for it.

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
I think the crowd here should have been a litte madder/more crazy like ovi..... they were way too subdued... was it the heat?

Walt Comiskey

Feb 26, 2009
I think the crowd here should have been a litte madder/more crazy like ovi..... they were way too subdued... was it the heat?

Much of the crowd had been there since 7am, the players didn't arrive until 12:30. The bus with the cup was nearly an hour behind the bus in front of it. I think they were played out.

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
Much of the crowd had been there since 7am, the players didn't arrive until 12:30. The bus with the cup was nearly an hour behind the bus in front of it. I think they were played out.
i thought so ...... free soda and beer should have been passed out to the crowd... :D:thumbu:

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
People giving him backlash for celebrating are miserable idiots. As if the league needs more robots with zero personality. Nofun Hockey League

What a great response considering the thread is basically about Ovechkin not getting backlash. Fight your own battles I guess.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
OV's partying doesn't even seem that bad, even with all the attention on him and the Caps. Sure they're doing some some wild things. But it isn't even that bad IMO. OV is just a big kid having the time of his life after accomplishing his life goal. Let the man be drunk 24/7 and roll in fountains. No one is getting hurt and it's literally 40+ years of pent-up frustration being let loose.
That is exactly my point though. I think for OV because of his personality he's "allowed" to act this way, whereas I think if Crosby/McDavid/Toews/etc. acted this way there would be a little bit of outrage.

For like the millionth time, I'm not upset about it, and I'm not asking if people care about what naysayers have to say about it. lol. I'm just asking if people think there would be some backlash if it were someone else.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
the only difference between OV’s partying (and the others on his team) and Canadian legends of the past is social media and the fact that he’s doing it out in the street.

I appreciate the honesty and openness, thanks for sharing it with the fans!

Reactions: sharkhawk

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
Toews has won plenty of cups before so it would just be another day for him, meaning he wouldn't have to act like an assclown, that that he ever does anyways.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Ovi hasn’t entered the 2011 Marchand - Seguin partying stratosphere that inspired the movie Hangover

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
What a great response considering the thread is basically about Ovechkin not getting backlash. Fight your own battles I guess.
Right. The exact purpose of my thread is that he's getting nearly zero backlash at all. I even made a specific not at the end that I am in no way upset by his celebration and that I'm happy that he won and people still say it's an anti-Ovi thread I'm asking strictly if people think the reaction would be different if it were someone else. Reading comprehension is so lacking in this thread. lol

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The answer is: No.

I don't know what it is, but people have really been attacking Ovechkin more than the average guy. One of my friends on FB that is a NYR fan was saying "What a great leader - I want to punch him in the face right now) and I couldn't understand why his celebration has brought out that kind of rage.
Eh, I'm an NYR fan and I'm happy for him and think his extended celebration is hilarious in a good way. Always wanted him to win when it didn't cost NYR. Glad it worked out well.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
agree... toews need to start drinking or doing some drugs to wake up...... earn your pay boy!
Eh I don't blame him for taking a ton of money, but someone might have been drinking when they offered that deal

And no amount of anything would make him the player OV is

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad