Speculation: Would Buffalo be interested in Zaitsev?

Status
Not open for further replies.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
Zaitsev was horrible in the Ottawa game, absolutely brutal and that was after the Muzzin deal.

Zaitsev logged the least amount of minutes of any of the Toronto D against the Rangers last night lending credence to the folks that call him a 5-6 defender. I personally believe him to be a 6/7

The contract given the terms is one of the worst in hockey and he will be hard to move.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Leaf fans,

You can't have it both ways.
Many of you want Zaitsev punted, but it will cost. You want him gone, but not salary retained? You realize that if there is no retention that BUF will only trade pennies on the dollar.

Without retention:

To TOR
Future Considerations

To BUF
Zaitsev
3rd round pick

Leaf fans have no say in the matter.

Reactions: uncleben

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
LOL. Less than Zero interest in Zaitsev. I expect all teams have Zero interest as well other
than Lou who is still on the Leafs payroll.
Lou was the GM and he wears the horns on this deal. If it is fair to credit him with the Rielly and Kadri team friendly contracts, then one can blame him for being the GM on record for this signing.

But I have to wonder if his Euro Scouting gave him bad advice on this one. Vuori and Bergman? Also the other Assistant GM's must have had input in evaluating him. Group fail.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Your / my pass means nothing though.

The source of this rumor is solid. BUF is considering acquiring Zaitsev. As for the return we'll know at the end of the month.
It sounds line Simmons is trying to play match maker. Buffalo could use help on defense, Toronto has this overpaid guy they'd love to get rid of. Would Buffalo consider him if they'd retain part of his salary. I'd hardly call that a legitimate rumor.

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
We already have two serviceable right shot Dman, Bogosian and Nelson. Neither of them are have a contract as bad as Zaitsev

The3rd

Jun 20, 2018
Leaf fans have no say in the matter.
No fans truly have any say in the matter. Everything we look at on this board is subjective, and from a business/internal standpoint we know virtually nothing when it comes to front offices...So all opinions are fair game really, just as yours is.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
No fans truly have any say in the matter. Everything we look at on this board is subjective, and from a business/internal standpoint we know virtually nothing when it comes to front offices...So all opinions are fair game really, just as yours is.

Talking down to a group of fans based on mindless speculation of a known troll. That was my point.

But to your point, the moment a GM makes a hockey decision based on what your or I have to say, they should be fired.

Reactions: The3rd

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There's a lot worse contracts than Zaitsev's out there. He's not been great, apparently, but I thought he looked good in the year before he got the contract. Surely that wasn't a mirage, and he can return to that level of play, especially if he is give a solid LHD partner?

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
I've said this a few times.
The deal should look like this, or we keep him.
After July 1st:
To Team X - Zaitsev, 2020 3rd round pick, 2020, 5th round pick

To Toronto - 7th round pick

Otherwise I'd rather keep him than retain.
I'd rather keep him than trade a 2nd to get rid of him.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I've said this a few times.
The deal should look like this, or we keep him.
After July 1st:
To Team X - Zaitsev, 2020 3rd round pick, 2020, 5th round pick

To Toronto - 7th round pick

Otherwise I'd rather keep him than retain.
I'd rather keep him than trade a 2nd to get rid of him.
That's the type of return a player with one year of a bad contract returns. Multiply that by 5.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Then he stays and we shed salary elsewhere.
We are so weak on the right side, getting rid of him just makes another hole, imo.
Agreed. That's the smartest play by Dubas. Brown will have a taker. Hyman could be moved. If Kapanen or Johnsson deals look to be a little too high either could be moved for a solid young player on an ELC.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
as per TSN, Buffalo desperate for a serviceable RHD if Toronto is willing to retain on him. What would buffalo give up? And how much do you think Toronto would need to retain?

No where in the article does it say Buffalo's interested in Zaitsev.

Simmons also speculates the Leafs might be able to offer defenceman Nikita Zaitsev to the blue line-needy Buffalo Sabres, should they eat some of Zaitsev's salary.
"Buffalo needs help on defence. Lots of help. Is it enough to be interested in Nikita Zaitsev with the Leafs paying part of the freight?"

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Contract aside how is Zaitsev is he a serviceable 3rd pair or is he hot trash?

Not at that cap hit is he a worthwhile bottom pair player.bottom payers shoukd be under 2.5. You can get away with hugger if your too 4 on ELC ir lis bridge contracts.

From buffalo you’d have to take Okposo back or you retain 50% in the offseason.

Buffalo doesn’t need a RHD

Ristolainien
Dahlin is a righty , McCabe can pkay right side
Bogosuan
Nelson

They have a few young RHD in Rochester or unsigned in Europe or college.

Reactions: Katani Kalan

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
As generous as Steve f***ing Simmons historically has been to the Sabres and the people of Buffalo, we politely decline to bail Toronto out of any of their potential cap problems. Thanks for being so thoughtful once again Steve.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Nobody will take him for future considerations

You have to give up something you don’t want to give up or take crap back.
I'd add a 2nd+B prospect to move him. But the thought that it would cos a 1st or a young roster player is nuts.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
If he’s playing with dermott he’s a decent #4 rhd. If he’s playing with Gardiner he’s probably around a #5

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I'd add a 2nd+B prospect to move him. But the thought that it would cos a 1st or a young roster player is nuts.

Thats just not enough. It costs alot to get rid of a contract. Especially a long contract. Just think that when Jets dumped Mason they traded Armia + 4th + 7th. And that was an expiring contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad