Speculation: Would Buffalo be interested in Zaitsev?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeguffaloSabres

Aug 7, 2011
as per TSN, Buffalo desperate for a serviceable RHD if Toronto is willing to retain on him. What would buffalo give up? And how much do you think Toronto would need to retain?
Nothing, ever. Steve Simmons is a joke.

Edit: Okposo for 30% retained Zaitsev

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Can’t imagine any team wanting zaitsevs’s contract. Toronto would need to a) eat a chunk of salary, b) take back another player with a pretty horrid contract and/or c) add a draft pick/ propect as a sweetener.

Perhaps some combination of 2-3 of above..

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
The Sabres aren't doing Toronto that favor. We're almost finally rid of our own overpaid RHD (Bogo). We aren't taking on another with as much term as Zaitsev.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I'm sure the Leafs would love to take back Okposo, Moulson and Hodgson in return too.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I would evaluate an additional 2nd rd pick added to Zaitsev for Okoposo. I would ask for a 1st. But Dubas traded this already. So a sweetner in a 2nd is fair to take Zaitsev off the ledger for the Leafs.
Okoposo is on a considerably worse contract than Zaitsev, he is older and has a no trade.

Reactions: uncleben

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Lmao sabres don’t want zaitsev This is just wishful thinking from leafs fans
It is not from Leaf fans it is from unreliable hack who sometimes writes for the Toronto Sun and sometimes is on TSN radio. His biggest scoops are seeing Kessel at a hot dog stand, calling Riemer's mom about a concussion and breaking the news of Mat Sundin's career ending hip injury. He is not a Leaf fan at all. But Buffalo can still be interested, but not because Simmons says so.

Last edited by a moderator:

PeguffaloSabres

Aug 7, 2011
Leaf fans,

You can't have it both ways.
Many of you want Zaitsev punted, but it will cost. You want him gone, but not salary retained? You realize that if there is no retention that BUF will only trade pennies on the dollar.

Without retention:

To TOR
Okposo

To BUF
Zaitsev
2020 1st round pick

ftfy

PeguffaloSabres

Aug 7, 2011
Lol. So a 3rd round pick is the "sweetner"? Try a 1st and Sandin.

Awful. Bogosian has been good this year and only has one year left on his contract. Hunwick sucks but also comes off the books next year. You want to dump toxic waste you're going to have to pay for it.

That's a reach.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The Sabres aren't doing Toronto that favor. We're almost finally rid of our own overpaid RHD (Bogo). We aren't taking on another with as much term as Zaitsev.
No, of course not. They would like f they traded for Zaitsev, be making for the team.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I would evaluate an additional 2nd rd pick added to Zaitsev for Okoposo. I would ask for a 1st. But Dubas traded this already. So a sweetner in a 2nd is fair to take Zaitsev off the ledger for the Leafs.

Not really. Zatsiev has a lot of term left on that garbage contract. And there's not a Sabres fan on this planet who has an ounce of interest in helping the Leafs with their cap problems.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Then you are stuck with him

Except we're not really stuck.
He's not as bad as people want to think.

Contract aside how is Zaitsev is he a serviceable 3rd pair or is he hot trash?

He's a serviceable player, simply put.
I like him with Dermott, myself, but he can be a 4,5,6 in the NHL, no doubt in my mind.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not really. Zatsiev has a lot of term left on that garbage contract. And there's not a Sabres fan on this planet who has an ounce of interest in helping the Leafs with their cap problems.

And I doubt either team would be dealing within the division. If the Leafs had their first rd pick. I would insist on this in any deal for Zaitsev, given we all know the Leafs cap crunch this summer. If a GM is not aware of this. They shouldn't be a NHL GM. My preferred deal would be Leafs first, Zaitsev for Okoposo. If they wanted Buffalo to take him off their hands. 4.5 x 5+ years for a 3rd pairing D man is a lot and for a long time. When you should be spending 1-2M per on 3rd pairing D men.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
has anyone noticed he appears a bit better since the muzzin trade. extra jump, a bit more patience with the puck than before and a little harder on moving it out. there has been mistakes - but there is something different

I have. He’s looked pretty good to me. A solid #4D imo. Better than Gardiner.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Except we're not really stuck.
He's not as bad as people want to think.

He's a serviceable player, simply put.
I like him with Dermott, myself, but he can be a 4,5,6 in the NHL, no doubt in my mind.

I agree with this. That is why TOR doesn't need to be desperate. Would be nice to move him at the TDL, but his cap hit doesn't challenge TOR until next OCT.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
From that article:

"Buffalo needs help on defence. Lots of help. Is it enough to be interested in Nikita Zaitsev with the Leafs paying part of the freight?"

Ah yes, the old "Toronto is so much better than Buffalo, Buffalo will happily take on our scraps" from the Toronto media.

Pure speculation from someone who is ill informed on Buffalo's defensive needs. Buffalo has Risto/Bogosian/Nelson on the right side. I'd agree that Buffalo SHOULD add a RHD, Zaitsev would be our 3rd RHD. If Buffalo is adding a RHD, it should be someone to push Risto to the 2nd pair and Bogosian to the bottom If its a bottom pair d-man....why take on a bad contract? Even with 50% retained, it's not great due to the term remaining. A big no thanks.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
LOL. Less than Zero interest in Zaitsev. I expect all teams have Zero interest as well other
than Lou who is still on the Leafs payroll.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
has anyone noticed he appears a bit better since the muzzin trade. extra jump, a bit more patience with the puck than before and a little harder on moving it out. there has been mistakes - but there is something different
Im noticing, if he keeps it up then I don't see why the Leafs will trade him. He is there only RD after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->