Speculation: Would Buffalo be interested in Zaitsev?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I believe this is what you are referring to https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.tsn.ca/countdown-to-tradecentre-could-bruins-make-a-splash-1.1255394?tsn-amp

I would much prefer to use an asset to get rid of Zaitsev rather then retaining salary

Thanks for the link. Here's the origin story:

SIMMONS: Weber-Subban deal wasn’t disaster so many predicted for Habs

A more appropriate thread title would be "Steve Simmons questions if Buffalo would be interested in Zaitsev with retention".

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
The problem with Zaitsev is that he’s definitely talented enough to play in the NHL, but he’s overpaid for such a long term that it’s going to be really tough to move him. Is he worth a $3 million contract? If so, that means Toronto will need to find someone making less than $1.5 million to replace him for six years. Yikes.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
If they’re desperate for a serviceable RHD then why do they want Zaitsev?

Zaitsev has Andrew MacDonald syndrome. He's actually a good NHL dman, not great, but good, but because of his contract he's ragged on by his fans, and every single microcosm of poor play is made out to be a huge fault, and then that negativity spreads to other fanbases and the news spreads of his rot.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Who wouldve known that Simmons was your average hfboards leaf fan? Zaitsev + 2nd for Dahlin?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kallio

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
has anyone noticed he appears a bit better since the muzzin trade. extra jump, a bit more patience with the puck than before and a little harder on moving it out. there has been mistakes - but there is something different

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
The rumour itself is someone spit balling. Simmons too... lol.. he's a joke.

I doubt buffalo wants Zaitsev. He's a 5 or 6 d man the way he's been playing.... He should make about 3 million max not 4.5.

I wouldn't want to retain on him and I doubt there are many takers at that price. Leafs would have to throw in a nice sweetener I think.

He's not terrible by any means, but Lou overpaid him... and for way to long.

It could happen, but I'm not sure Buffalo would be a very good trading partner.

Reactions: Willgamesh

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Makes zero sense to retain on him.
He's a fine player but not worth his contract. It's a long contract and it seems like he's still adjusting so he might end up rounding out at an everyday top-4 rhd.
The biggest issue is the Leafs are built unbalanced and they can't spend money on defensemen that have some question marks.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
The rumour itself is someone spit balling. Simmons too... lol.. he's a joke.

I doubt buffalo wants Zaitsev. He's a 5 or 6 d man the way he's been playing.... He should make about 3 million max not 4.5.

I wouldn't want to retain on him and I doubt there are many takers at that price. Leafs would have to throw in a nice sweetener I think.

He's not terrible by any means, but Lou overpaid him... and for way to long.

It could happen, but I'm not sure Buffalo would be a very good trading partner.
This^^

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
This isn't legitimate interest as much as the Toronto Sun looking to dump Zaitsev on someone. They're the same people who claim Toronto honorably rebuilt yet what Buffalo did was a travesty.

But...the Leafs didn't do anything dishonorable. Unless you count spending more than 10x the amount anyone's ever seen a team pay a coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad