Speculation: Would Buffalo be interested in Zaitsev?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Wrong.

Clarkson got moved, Hossa got moved.

Leafs likely won't get back anything of value for him, but he can be moved without retaining money.

The likeliest deal I could see happening is:

Leafs trade b level prospect with Zaitsev for a mid late pick (say 5th rounder) + bad dman contract that they can either buyout or bury.

Clarkson got Horton...Horton us deadweight

Hossa has big recapture risk on Chicago...scary.

Zaitsev has what..5 yrs left at an over payed price fir his role.

He had 1-2 he woukd be more miveabke.

Nobody is taking him with Toronto including a 1st, kapanrnm or some other quality prospect (top 3).

If yiu retain ir take salary back then you could move him easier.

You retaining 50% then he is a decent bottom pair st a deent cap hit.

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
To BUF
Nikita Zaitsev (15% Retained)
Dmytro Timashov
Connor Brown
2019 3rd

To TOR
Matt Moulson
Nathan Beaulieu
Alex Nylander

Or

To BUF
Nikita Zaitsev
Jeremy Bracco
Connor Brown
2019 6th

To TOR
Matt Moulson
Nathan Beaulieu
Alex Nylander
2019 5th

Notes:

- Beaulieu is scratched from what I can find, so he is taken back for cap reasons

- Moulson is 100% Cap

- Timashov has more points in the same amount of games as Nylander, Bracco is PPG in AHL. (Timashov is 22, Bracco 21, Nylander 20)

- Leafs 3rd can become 2nd, but would need add of 4th from BUF

- Brown is only $2.1M for next year

- 15% retention on Zaitsev = $675,000 bring his cap hit to $3,825,000

Thoughts?

LucicAndChong

Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Beaulieu has been scratched because of our depth at LD, Moulson sucks but is an expiring contract. Nylander hasn't been great, but still has a decently high ceiling even if he's a longshot to get there. Timashov is a dime a dozen prospect. Connor brown is a 3rd liner. Your offer is a pile of crap. Buffalo takes on Zaitsev's garbage contract and gets a pile of spare parts in return.
can you explain to me how 2 players who are scoring at almost the same PPG can be considered a high upside prospect and a dime-a-dozen prospect?

Or is it just because he is a leafs prospect? Nylander isn’t as good as you think, and only reason people rate him better than he is is because of name recognition

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Nobody - least of all Buffalo - should be touching Zaitsev contract.

You want Beaulieu? Take him for a 4th?

You want Nylander? I'd ask for whats likely to be a late 1st.

Moulson is totally irrelevant to the Sabres. Take him if you want but I'm not paying anyone to take him. He comes of the books this summer.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
And I doubt either team would be dealing within the division. If the Leafs had their first rd pick. I would insist on this in any deal for Zaitsev, given we all know the Leafs cap crunch this summer. If a GM is not aware of this. They shouldn't be a NHL GM. My preferred deal would be Leafs first, Zaitsev for Okoposo. If they wanted Buffalo to take him off their hands. 4.5 x 5+ years for a 3rd pairing D man is a lot and for a long time. When you should be spending 1-2M per on 3rd pairing D men.
Take on more money for a struggling, aging player, in a position we don't need while adding a 1st, and making a hole on our defence, the position we need the most help with? No thanks. Terrible proposal for the Leafs.

LucicAndChong

Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Nobody - least of all Buffalo - should be touching Zaitsev contract.

You want Beaulieu? Take him for a 4th?

You want Nylander? I'd ask for whats likely to be a late 1st.

Moulson is totally irrelevant to the Sabres. Take him if you want but I'm not paying anyone to take him. He comes of the books this summer.
how... how is Nylander worth a late 1st?

Could I ask for a late 1st for Bracco? No. But he is scoring at a much higher pace and is only a year older.
Could I ask for a late 1st for Timashov? No. But he is scoring at a slightly higher pace and is only 2 years older.

Where does that late 1st come from?

Also, Beaulieu is a healthy scratch on your D, why would you get a 4th for him?

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009

Could I ask for a late 1st for Bracco? No. But he is scoring at a much higher pace and is only a year older.
Could I ask for a late 1st for Timashov? No. But he is scoring at a slightly higher pace and is only 2 years older.

A recent 8th overall pick carries higher value than what is being offered. 1 or 2 years of professional hockey does a lot for a players development so saying Timashov is only 2 years older isn't a very solid argument. Look at both those players (Bracco and Timashov) Nylander is on pace to outscore both as 20 year olds in the AHL.

It's the whole 2 Honda Accords equal 1 Audi type deal.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

I said I'd ask for a first. On the assumption that another team coveted him. I hated the Nylander pick more than any other in history but what do the Sabres gain from selling low at this point ?

Beaulieu is probably worth a 4th at the TDL based on recent history. Mike Weber got a 3td from memory FFS. Teams covet depth.

Moulson does not really have negative value at this point since he is of no consequence to the Sabres. Unlike Zaitsev he is off the books in the summer.

Try again...

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Why did you post, "Zaitsev to Buffalo", then include 7-8 pieces?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Take on more money for a struggling, aging player, in a position we don't need while adding a 1st, and making a hole on our defence, the position we need the most help with? No thanks. Terrible proposal for the Leafs.
I think this proposed deal is bad for both teams. This is why I asked who is the TSN source?

Buffalo has Bogo and Risto on the right side. No way they want to add Zaitsev on the 3rd pairing at 4.5 for 5+ more years.

Actually I see Okoposo replacing Marleau in a years time and he is good friends with Tavares already. It may not be ideal for both teams but I estimate the sweetner will still have to come from the Leafs. But this is the kind of salary swap that will be needed to make a deal. But not probable with 2 divisional rivals.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I think this proposed deal is bad for both teams. This is why I asked who is the TSN source?

Buffalo has Bogo and Risto on the right side. No way they want to add Zaitsev on the 3rd pairing at 4.5 for 5+ more years.

Actually I see Okoposo replacing Marleau in a years time and he is good friends with Tavares already. It may not be ideal for both teams but I estimate the sweetner will still have to come from the Leafs. But this is the kind of salary swap that will be needed to make a deal. But not probable with 2 divisional rivals.
Id be open to Okposo to Toronto
But at 6 million, hes not coming to Toronto unless Buffalo retains or adds something worthwhile
Toronto won't pay a premium for him, is all

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I've made up a new word:

"Zaitsgeist"

Definition: the defining spirit or mood of some Leafs fans at this particular period of history that gives them the idea that Nikita Zaitsev must be included in every trade proposal on HF, as if anyone else actually wants him.

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

LucicAndChong

Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Can someone explain to me why Nylander is so highly touted?

Nylander:
0.43 PPG (18 Years Old) 28P/65GP [AHL]
0.53 PPG (19 Years Old) 27P/51GP [AHL]
0.57 PPG (20 Years Old) 24P/42GP [AHL] (This Year)

Bracco:
0.64 PPG (20 Years Old) 32P/50GP [AHL]
1.02 PPG (21 Years Old) 49P/48GP [AHL] (This Year)

Now, I get that Nylander was an 8th overall pick, but he plays the same position as Bracco, his contract is the same length as Bracco (Nylander is $21,000 more/year), he is scoring at a lower rate than Bracco even at the same age.

Is he rated so highly because of his name? Does he play a style I don't know about? Or is he rated high simply because he was an 8th OA pick?

Or am I missing something here?

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Buffalo doesn’t want Zaitsev or his contract, no matter how many back-handed compliments you make about their assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad