OT: Would a NBA team succeed in Montreal?

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
It might attract some fans at first, for the novelty of the game, but would soon wear out it's welcome and you'd have a hard time getting 5,000 fans to attend. I'd much rather have the Expos back in a real baseball stadium downtown. That would work.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
The ONLY reason I don't see it happening is because the NBA and NHL season's are pretty much in synch.

There are a lot of basketball players/fans in MTL and I am sure it could work out if it wasn't a direct competitor to the Habs.

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
The ONLY reason I don't see it happening is because the NBA and NHL season's are pretty much in synch.

There are a lot of basketball players/fans in MTL and I am sure it could work out if it wasn't a direct competitor to the Habs.

But the Raptors play in the same arena as the Toronto Maple Leafs? Poor excuse, guys!

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I never said basketball was boring. It just plain sucks. Baseball might be boring for some, but for many is one of the nicest sports out there.

It's nice to go sit there and enjoy great weather while watching a game with a beer, but let's be honest Baseball is a boring sport

I still think a Stadium would have saved us

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
Depends if that product is a winner or not, that's Montreal. Look at the attendance of the Expos during that 94 run, team wins people will show up.

It depends if where they play sucks too. If Labatt Park was built in 1985, don't you think the Expos are still here, getting solid attendance?

The Big O killed the Expos, two CFL football franchises, and nearly killed a third before they had the sense to move to Molson Stadium. The place is sports cancer.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
It depends if where they play sucks too. If Labatt Park was built in 1985, don't you think the Expos are still here, getting solid attendance?

The Big O killed the Expos, two CFL football franchises, and nearly killed a third before they had the sense to move to Molson Stadium. The place is sports cancer.

yes and no

I really do believe about the winning product, yes you can say it happens in every city but in Montreal you won't get as many walk ins as in other US cities if the team is bad.

Look at Saputo last year when he joined the MLS, I remember him saying it on air if I don't put a winning product on the field I'm toast. This year the Impact are playing great and now everyone is interested in soccer and the Impact

Lozela

Nov 11, 2010
Its funny because i think that it could really work only if its the same owner as the habs (Molson/Bell etc...). BTW Bell's ceo is an ex basketball player.

It would be a nice deal for the owners to own a basketball team as well because it would be another platform to promote their products...

You also have the Bell Centre downtown near all the clubs, restaurants & hotels. We would prolly attract a lot of people from out of town to see the big stars when they're in town.

AllanMTL46

Aug 19, 2011
Ste-Agathe, Lotb.
It's nice to go sit there and enjoy great weather while watching a game with a beer, but let's be honest Baseball is a boring sport

I still think a Stadium would have saved us

For some yes it can be boring, but you can't generalize it. No sport is boring to everyone. Personally, I take baseball over basketball in Montreal ANYTIME.

expos_800.jpg

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
yes and no

I really do believe about the winning product, yes you can say it happens in every city but in Montreal you won't get as many walk ins as in other US cities if the team is bad.

Look at Saputo last year when he joined the MLS, I remember him saying it on air if I don't put a winning product on the field I'm toast. This year the Impact are playing great and now everyone is interested in soccer and the Impact

I guess the Alouettes will be the litmus test, 'cause they're getting close to the end of their run but they're in a downtown stadium that just got renovated.

I just feel like the Expos never got a chance to see if they could draw OK with a bad team - Jarry Park was cute but the way they threw it up over a single winter meant it was very sparse in amenities and not really well-built for baseball. The Big O is just a disastrous stadium, hands down. The Expos needed to win to draw because nobody ever wanted to be in the place otherwise.

AllanMTL46

Aug 19, 2011
Ste-Agathe, Lotb.
I guess the Alouettes will be the litmus test, 'cause they're getting close to the end of their run but they're in a downtown stadium that just got renovated.

I just feel like the Expos never got a chance to see if they could draw OK with a bad team - Jarry Park was cute but the way they threw it up over a single winter meant it was very sparse in amenities and not really well-built for baseball. The Big O is just a disastrous stadium, hands down. The Expos needed to win to draw because nobody ever wanted to be in the place otherwise.

This. +1.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
I used to find basketball really boring. But then I started playing NBA 2K13. I learned a lot about the game and it isn't as bad anymore.

68*

Lol @ people who think basketball is boring. What a ****ing game. I'm so moist.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Great to have a game 7 but that last 3 pts attempt was a foul. NHL ref reffing NBA games now? :sarcasm:

Poulet Kostopoulos

Oct 23, 2009
As much as I love hockey....

The NBA finals this year >>>>>>>> the NHL

LOL. I just came here to check if there was a thread about that.

Wow! What an amazing NBA finals and I don't even like basketball much.

And I agree NBA finals >>> NHL finals. In fact, the entire NHL playoffs have been a big meh in terms of entertainment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad