OT: Would a NBA team succeed in Montreal?

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
What's so entertaining about basketball? I wonder how people can watch 4 quarters of that sport. Watch the last quarter and it's more than enough. Points all over the place, no momentum, tons of stoppages, fouls and time-outs and unless its a blow-out, the final minute of the game takes like 15 minutes to play with a stoppage every 3 sec.

Same for football. Great description. :laugh:
Hockey is the only sport I can watch without being bored. One does not simply get tired or bored of watching hockey. Especially playoffs.

68*

I would watch most game on TV but I would not watch at the arena. I don't think it would work.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
I'd love to have an NBA team here, but I have no idea if it's feasible. What is definitely feasible is a 2nd NHL team.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I'd love to have an NBA team here, but I have no idea if it's feasible. What is definitely feasible is a 2nd NHL team.

Really? How many people in Montreal are going to abandon the Habs to cheer for some expansion team? I doubt there are as many people hoping for the Maroons to come back as their are people for the Nords.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Yes only if they name the team the Quebec Scandals......

For real ,no....

MLB will be back before NBA in Montreal

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Really? How many people in Montreal are going to abandon the Habs to cheer for some expansion team? I doubt there are as many people hoping for the Maroons to come back as their are people for the Nords.

The Nords will return some day sooner than later..will be many ship jumpers..
Hockey was always better with Nords vs Montreal as rivals,always borderline insanity.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal

I would bet the answer is a lot. There are already a bunch of Montrealers who cheer for the Bruins, Flyers or Penguins just because they used to cheer for the Nordiques, or that team was good when they started watching hockey, or just because they are contrarians. And if team #2 sold tickets for less than the Habs (which definitely can be done profitably), there is a market there. I bet there would be a great turnout, even among non-team #2 fans. The hockey media infrastructure already exists - there is a surplus of media following the Habs for scraps of info as it is.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
If Pheonix still have a hockey team after almost 20 years, i'm pretty sure Montreal could sustain about any pro sport in North America.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
I think Prairie Habs meant if MONTREAL got another team, not Quebec. I don't think anybody wants the Nords back any more than their biggest rivals so we can dislodge the haters and untrue fans from the bandwagon.

As for NBA, I personally would hate to have one as I personally find it one of the most boring sports. Plus, it would be the most hilarious business proposition considering the state of the raptors. I mean, I love to see MLSE suffer, but that is just pathetic. Quebec would be worse. I loved the Expos growing up, but as an adult, cannot bear to watch baseball. Nothing can compare to hockey/Habs and the amount I invest in them timewise, monetarily and emotionally. But that's just me, though I imagine I'm in the majority.

Impact, I'm a fan of. THAT belongs in MTL.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
If Pheonix still have a hockey team after almost 20 years, i'm pretty sure Montreal could sustain about any pro sport in North America.

Would there really be a point to having a bball team with a fanbase similar to that of the Coyotes?? (And one basically and literally the charity case of the league.)

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
Who cares? There's only one sport I want to see back in Montreal.

c8f76cdd-cde7-46b5-8f25-2b8b720ff944_500.jpg

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
**** the NBA.

was gonna say just that :laugh:

and besides the awful awfulness of the sport itself, you think montrealers will pay good money to go see a team that will never have a chance at a championship? it'd be expos 2.0 except nobody would give a ****...

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I think there would be interest...I know that at about every 3rd or 4th house in my area, there's a basketball hoop. So kids are playing the game.

The problem, as outlined, is that the NBA is a total superstar league. If you don't have one, you are basically screwed and have zero shot of doing anything. And I doubt we'd be able to attract or keep a superstar.

There is a difference between playing some horse or one-on-one in the driveway and playing a game of basketball. I highly doubt an NBA team would be truly successful long term in Montreal.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Every sport can be boring until you really understand it.. A lot of Americans think hockey sucks. I used to hate baseball but now I almost never miss a Jays game.. But I'll agree it's a little harder to stay focused the whole game unlike hockey but at same time there's 162 games a year and you watch it almost every day so that could have something to do with it :

That being said I haven't been able to watch basketball consistently since Jordan.. I try.. But you don't get that same nervous feeling for the most part as a lot of other sports.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Man I'd love it, but it's not happening. We wouldn't attract many star players kind of like how R. Gay is Toronto's best player (good luck making the playoffs). Anyways I'm happy with the Habs and Impact.

AllanMTL46

Aug 19, 2011
Ste-Agathe, Lotb.
We should concentrate on discussing an MLB return to Montreal instead, at least it'd be worth something. Just bring it back, pleaseeee :cry:. The MLB not being here is the only thing that makes me keep that feeling that a little something is missing around here. Habs, Impact, Expos (and Alouettes for some football), now THIS would set it for me.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
We should concentrate on discussing an MLB return to Montreal instead, at least it'd be worth something. Just bring it back, pleaseeee :cry:. The MLB not being here is the only thing that makes me keep that feeling that a little something is missing around here. Habs, Impact, Expos (and Alouettes for some football), now THIS would set it for me.

lol? Baseball? And you guys say basket-ball is boring :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad