Worst Player Ever To Score A Hat Trick

DATS-O-MATIC

Nov 23, 2004
I did a brief search and couldn't find any existing threads for this topic, so I thought this might be an interesting discussion to start.

Hat tricks are not an everyday occurrence and usually scored by mid-to-highly skilled players. Who is, in your opinion, the worst NHL player ever to score a hat trick?

Andy Delmore of the Flyers, a d-man scoring 4 goals in the playoffs back in '01 IIRC. He has to at least be in the discussion, since that was the highlight of his career, 15 minutes of fame.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hate to bring up an old thread, but Dominic Lavoie Only had 5 career goals and 3 of them came in one game. He was a d-man too. He was promptly sent back down to the minors never to be seen again. Here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8cXPplClQc&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Wow, great call. Definitely the most isolated hat-trick ever - his previous NHL goal was 3 years earlier, and he never scored another goal again.

_________

He doesn't belong in the same conversation as guys like Vukota and Boulton, but Uli Hiemer scored a hat-trick for the Devils in 1985. Marginal German defenceman who spent 3 partial seasons with the Devils in the mid-80s. One of the worst defenders ever to record a hat trick.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Andy Delmore of the Flyers, a d-man scoring 4 goals in the playoffs back in '01 IIRC. He has to at least be in the discussion, since that was the highlight of his career, 15 minutes of fame.

Delmore was very talented offensively. Great skater and a great shot. His problem was that he was an absolute trainwreck defensively.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
The name Jan Caloun rings a bell. 1995-96 season.
Caloun didnt live to expectations in NHL but he was far from bad nor the worst player.
He had successful career in minor NA leagues and in Europe. He also won gold olympic medal in Nagano. He was definitely skilled player, just couldnt make it to NHL.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I agree, but neither is this. ^^^

Pat Kane, Phil Kessel, Johan Franzen, Dustin Brown, Ryan Smyth...these are the last 5 players to finish 19th in goals, and pretty much the kind of players you'd be talking about when you say "semi-elite".

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Has to be Lyle Odellein.

Not only was he a bad player, but he also looked like Cornelius from Planet of the Apes which should push him over the top to win this topic.

Islesin93*

Jan 29, 2008
no doubt Vukota, 14 goals in 597 games including the playoffs, 3 goals in 1 game(and he scored them all in the first period, a natural hat trick)

would love to see a video of this somewhere

Slapshooter

Apr 25, 2007
Caloun didnt live to expectations in NHL but he was far from bad nor the worst player.
He had successful career in minor NA leagues and in Europe. He also won gold olympic medal in Nagano. He was definitely skilled player, just couldnt make it to NHL.

I'll second that. Jan Caloun was a typical Euro semi-star who (because of attitude, size or skating problems) just did not fit into NHL style. Caloun possessed hands of a very skilled, if not elite, scorer and does not belong to this thread at all.

The correct answer is very likely some enforcer, but certainly not Probert or Simon who were decent skilled NHL players beyond fighting and physical play.

Mick Vukota or Jim McKenzie sounds more like it. Liked them both, but not for their skills with the puck...

Last edited:

Naash

Jun 30, 2011
The name Jan Caloun rings a bell. 1995-96 season.

Jan Čaloun was definitely a great player. He had couple of the best seasons ever in Finnish SM-liiga. I always wondered how come Sharks didn't find more use for him and Ville Peltonen back in 95-97, considering the team's poor record.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
Jan Čaloun was definitely a great player. He had couple of the best seasons ever in Finnish SM-liiga. I always wondered how come Sharks didn't find more use for him and Ville Peltonen back in 95-97, considering the team's poor record.

Exactly, he's got 14 points in 24 NHL games (that includes 11 points in 11 games with San Jose in 95-96'). In 98-99', he scored 81 points in 51 SM-liiga games, and 72 in 44 the year after. Worst player ever.:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad