Worst Leaf of ALL-TIME?

Mar 14, 2011
After Aki Berg, the worst player as a Leaf was likely Bret Lebda.

Then again, that's like saying that the Eiffel tower is tall, and then comparing it to the Burj Dubai.

If you honestly believe that then i can confidently say that you have no idea how to judge hockey players, anyway to answer the question Toskala, Gust, Raycroft, J.Malkin, Pohl, Exelby and Hollweg all comes to mind (with HM to Wallin).

Irish Leaf

Jul 11, 2012
Kildare
If you factor in cost to aquire my shortlist would be Lee Stempniak, Raycroft and we can't forget mr 200ft Toskalol.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
andy wozniewski..... some used to call him andy wasnewtoskating when he went on the ice you knew a lead was going to be lost
When he was with the Leafs he was 4th in the team in +- with a +5 lol. Aki Berg also had a +14 one season with the Leafs too but people insist on using that stat to say how great a player is lol

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Gill.jpg

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Using only players who had a somewhat regular role on the team at the very least,

Off the top of my head, I had Lebda and Toskala, with Toskala taking the crown in all probability. I mean, the goalie IS the most important position, and as terrible as he was, Toskala was put out there over and over again, so it's an impressive body of work to be that bad.

But someone mentioned Wallin, and . . . yeah - never a more useless hockey player have I ever seen on the Leafs in terms of what he could give us.

Loved that Allison joke btw!

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Lebda made Berg look like a Norris candidate.

Heard a name on the radio yesterday ~ Ryan Hollweg. He was pretty awful although he only played a couple games

ldnk

Apr 8, 2009
People saying Aki Berg didn't watch the game. I have absolutely no reason why Berg got ripped as much as he did. He wasn't a good hockey player but he was hardly incompetent. For some reason he held on to his draft position number right until the end.

Meanwhile guys like Brett Hedican got to jump team to team to team to team to team to team playing like garbage as "potential to breakout".

Berg was a middling 5-7 defenseman and he filled that role just fine.

As for Jyrki Lumme. His early stretch with the Leafs, he was fine too. He fell apart at the end of his career but my god, again, I swear it had everything to do with him being European and Don Cherry's wonderfully racist insults at his name.

Brett Lebda on the other hand. That guy couldn't find his way out of a paper bag. He was getting powerplay time and couldn't get a point. And somehow he was the piece that got us Franson which is hilarious (I know that had everything to do with salary dumping).

Wade Belak playing defense would be another one of those cover your eyes kind of players but you have to give the lumbering oaf some credit for being an inexcusable 1st round pick who was a decent fighter, nice teammate and somewhat adequate 4th liner.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Berg???
He shouldn't be on any list. There are many, many worse then him. He wouldn't even be the worse on the current team.

Not sure what people expect from a bottom pairing guy but he is one of the best the Leafs have had.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Holy **** people.

Jeff Finger.

Finger was a serviceable dman who was given an outrageous contract.

As for thread, worst Leaf? I have lot of respect for the goaltending position and what goalies have to go through. Heck, there were times where I would defend Raycroft and Gustavsson, knowing the defence they had to work with. However, Toskala was the definition of horrible. Yes the Leafs were not exactly the 90s Devils, but at least Raycroft and Gus were able to steal a few games for us. Toskala was an average backup at best, and even that might be a little too generous.

Last edited:

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Aki Berg AIAEC.

Guy was supposed to be a crushing body checker.

All he did was crush any chance we had of winning when he was on the ice.

Don't recall a single good thing about him.

Honourable mentions for me are Lumme (was too damn old when he got here and Quinn had a man crush on him) Antropov his first few years, Dimitri Kristich, Igor Korolev.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Berg???
He shouldn't be on any list. There are many, many worse then him. He wouldn't even be the worse on the current team.

Not sure what people expect from a bottom pairing guy but he is one of the best the Leafs have had.

I can't think of a single player worse than Aki.

Komisarek was a Norris candidate during his tenure here compared to Berg.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Berg???

He was drafted high, never used his size, was easy to play against - coupled with the fact that he had a zero IQ. He's in the right company.

Comparing to our current serviceable dmen. Fraser is playing that bottom end role.....Each game I tend to say "Atta boy Fraser!" The guy is confident with the puck, and his D partner. Berg lost the battle before the puck even entered the zone, he seemed to be a mental midget.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Aki Berg AIAEC.

Guy was supposed to be a crushing body checker.

All he did was crush any chance we had of winning when he was on the ice.

Don't recall a single good thing about him.

Honourable mentions for me are Lumme (was too damn old when he got here and Quinn had a man crush on him) Antropov his first few years, Dimitri Kristich, Igor Korolev.

I've have never heard that, in fact one of the knocks against him was the opposite.

Crush any chance of winning? He played almost 400 games during a pretty successful era.

I can't think of a single player worse than Aki.

Komisarek was a Norris candidate during his tenure here compared to Berg.

You need to think harder.

He was drafted high, never used his size, was easy to play against - coupled with the fact that he had a zero IQ. He's in the right company.

Comparing to our current serviceable dmen. Fraser is playing that bottom end role.....Each game I tend to say "Atta boy Fraser!" The guy is confident with the puck, and his D partner. Berg lost the battle before the puck even entered the zone, he seemed to be a mental midget.

Fraser would have been an excellent partner for Berg and is a tough player. Skill wise Berg is miles better, they would have complimented each other well.

I'm not sure that many actually watched Berg but just echo what others have said about him in the past.

RhinoD

Feb 6, 2013
Franklin, NC
Berg is at or near the top... Dave Steckle comes to mind from the last two-three years... Guy had no shot, no speed, no passing game, didnt hit anyone and wouldn't fight. A one-trick faceoff pony.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Woz, Cross, Lebda, and Lumme were standouts from my memory. Honourable mentions to Raycroft and Toskala.

Berg doesn't belong in this conversation.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
This seems to be more like "My least favourite leaf" rather than the worst leaf of all time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad