Worst Leaf of ALL-TIME?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Aki Berg was pretty brutal so was Belak as a defensmen but he could at least fight and create energy. My vote goes to Lebda

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
He was the "40 goal scorer" the team hadn't had on the wings in like 15 years however. Yeah, that didn't work out.

I have no idea how you're putting him up there as an honourable mention for the worst Leaf ever, though.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Since I started following the team in '93:

Chris McAllister
Jyrkki Lumme
Andy Wozniewski
Anders Eriksson
Aki Berg
Cory Cross
Brett Lebda
Andrew Raycroft
Jonas Gustavsson

contour

Mar 31, 2011
Since I started following the team in '93:

Chris McAllister
Jyrkki Lumme
Andy Wozniewski
Anders Eriksson
Aki Berg
Cory Cross
Brett Lebda
Andrew Raycroft
Jonas Gustavsson

I wouldn't say Gustavsson was terrible. He was just really inconsistent. Gusty stole some games for us last year. If Gustavsson played under Carlyle rather than Wilson, he would probably be in a much different situation.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Larry Murphy? The guy who averaged 54 points per 82 games over 2 seasons with the Leafs? I hope not. He was better defensively than Kaberle

I never understood the hatred for Kaberle. The guy wasn't as bad defensively as most people make/made him out to be.

He was absolutely not a physical player, but he was pretty solid in terms of position and had to cover for byan mccabe's pinching on a nightly basis, as well as his love for the big hit that was normally missed.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I never understood the hatred for Kaberle. The guy wasn't as bad defensively as most people make/made him out to be.

He was absolutely not a physical player, but he was pretty solid in terms of position and had to cover for byan mccabe's pinching on a nightly basis, as well as his love for the big hit that was normally missed.

Not sure how you see hatred for Kaberle from anything I said.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Not sure how you see hatred for Kaberle from anything I said.

Not specifically from what you said. It's just that for years Kaberle was put down as was Sundin. McCabe was made to be the best defenseman the team had seen in decades and had to cover for all of Kaberle's terrible defensive play.

Toronto

Apr 8, 2007
His name skips my mind at the moment but he played on our 4th line. It was during the ron wilson era. He would kill our penalties and was buddies with one of the players on the team (think gus?). dont think he ever got a point in any nhl level game for us if i recall

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Not specifically from what you said. It's just that for years Kaberle was put down as was Sundin. McCabe was made to be the best defenseman the team had seen in decades and had to cover for all of Kaberle's terrible defensive play.

Did you really care about anyone who put Sundin down? Me either. He did enough here to decide his own fate. As far as McCabe went, he was pretty good some years, average the others. Kaberle was always an offensive dman without much defense, although he did the small things as well as McCabe. Murphy is on a total different planet when it comes to blame though. He was slow but had a very high IQ and more times than not made the right plays, as well as being great offensively. The team his two years didn't click and he was one of the fall guys

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
His name skips my mind at the moment but he played on our 4th line. It was during the ron wilson era. He would kill our penalties and was buddies with one of the players on the team (think gus?). dont think he ever got a point in any nhl level game for us if i recall

Rickard Wallin

Kyle Doobas*

Brett Lebda's -3 performance in a 9-3 win over the Thrashers comes to mind. :shakehead
Didn't like five of our goals come on the powerplay that night, though?

Aki Berg wasn't even that bad, he's just the ultimate Leafs Nation scapegoat.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
yeah some of those D were big whipping boys but they at least had some skill, toughness, that made them serviceable. when we're talking about absolutely worst overall players to get regular shifts with this club over the years a few come to mind:

Darby Hendrickson , you literally never noticed this doofus unless he was giving away the puck or was knocked on his butt. looked very clumsy and nervous out there every single shift he played.

Brandon Convery , terrible 1st round pick that was given a regular spot on our 4th line and did nothing but look terrible. skated around with a confused mouth-breather look on his face 24/7 .

Nick Kypreos , pretty useless player and victim to one of the worst knock outs in history. probably the least contribution made to the club from any player associated as being a Leaf.

Glenn Healy - no comment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad