GDT: Worst GDT ever: Avs vs Flames 8pm MST

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Oh you're one of those lol
I like Ghetto. Quite a lot actually. I think some people are expecting too much of him, though. He's not a player who makes a line better and he's not a guy on whose scoring you want to depend. He also sucks defensively which makes it difficult to position him. To be honest, I hope he'll replace Nieto on the 3rd (Soda) line. But I don't think the 3rd line has to be worse than the 2nd or better than the 4th line. It usually is but this is not a usual team.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Couple of things, Nieto has been invisible for 5 games. Didn't like his play along the boards but if he had been showing ANYTHING throughout the games I could live with it. He has been non-productive. Jost just looks incapable of accomplishing much as a 2nd line center, his tool box is light on skills. Hope I am wrong. It is true they didn't play well but they have issues when it comes to fielding an entire team of NHL quality players. Haven't seen enough of Kamenev to pass judgement.
Don't know what EJ had in mind entering the zone in OT. The play wasn't going anywhere and he just coughed up the puck. SG mistakenly cheated up ice to help out and got hung out to dry. Two bad decisions. They don't seem to have great feel for 3 on 3 play.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I like Ghetto. Quite a lot actually. I think some people are expecting too much of him, though. He's not a player who makes a line better and he's not a guy on whose scoring you want to depend. He also sucks defensively which makes it difficult to position him. To be honest, I hope he'll replace Nieto on the 3rd (Soda) line. But I don't think the 3rd line has to be worse than the 2nd or better than the 4th line. It usually is but this is not a usual team.

Yeah that comment was mostly in jest. I like him more than most despite his flaws. Hes one of the few shoot first players we have.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Don't know what EJ had in mind entering the zone in OT. The play wasn't going anywhere and he just coughed up the puck. SG mistakenly cheated up ice to help out and got hung out to dry. Two bad decisions. They don't seem to have great feel for 3 on 3 play.

Ive been noticing that a few times with EJ. It seems like when he gets an offensive chance he just holds the puck waiting for something to happen then gets himself in a bad spot. He's good enough to make things happen instead of just waiting for things to happen but for some reason it seems like he freezes.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Well this team still sucks at OT. It's like they don't realize whoever scores first wins. Really poor shot selection and puck management. Just hold onto the puck, tire out the opposition, and wait until a grade A scoring chance presents itself. It's not rocket science.

Varly should be pissed. He put in a hell of a performance and the team just stopped skating halfway through the game with a one goal lead.

Compher has a hell of a chin on him. He took a full speed shoulder right to the jaw. Surprised he wasn't knocked out cold. Good to see him chip in some secondary scoring with a great goal.

The Jost line really needs to start generating more offense. Wilson should not be on that line. He's like an anvil for that line. I'd try Kamenev or Compher on the wing there. They just need some more speed and skill to work quick give and go's. Jost and Wilson laboring up ice in transition just isn't working.

Really hope the coaching staff is in Kamenev's ear to keep his head up. He's still got a really bad habit of skating with his head down. Almost paid for it a few times this year so far going back to pre-season. If he doesn't fix that he's gonna get smoked again.

jsalz16

Feb 21, 2010
If it makes anyone feel better, the Jets are also playing the worst game I've seen them play in over a year.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Yeah but neither are great defensively. Jost was the one doing that work for his line. I think Compher has the capacity, but hasn't so far.
I'm sure Bednar sees Compher in a defensive role going forward. He's going to have to improve.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I do like the Soda / Jost combo. Give Soda a real winger, and get Jost going offensively. The “second” line seems likes it’s a group of misfits, whether Jost is on it or not.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I needed almost a full 24 hours to comment on this game, but here are my thoughts:

- That has to have been one of the poorest efforts I’ve seen from this team in a long time. Any time we’d get possession we’d skate down the ice, get to the corner and throw the puck blindly to the slot where Calgary would have two-three defenders ready to pick it up and continue their dominance. Just an utterly horrid performance by almost every player on the team. I especially hate losing to the flames seeing as how I’m a born and raised Calgarian, but I honestly think the 48 point Avs would have put up more of a fight.

- We didn’t deserve a point and Varly absolutely stole one for us. I thought he looked a little shaky to start as his rebound control was very sloppy and it cost us a goal. However Varly battles through and as the game went on he did start to control it a bit better. Very thankful we had him in net for this contest.

- Girard looked like a 20 year old in this game. Very timid and flinching every time a player got close to him. He’ll need to learn how to be effective when a team puts a focus on being physical. I’m sure he’ll learn how to handle it better as he grows, but he wasn’t great tonight.

- Compher had another solid game, at least relative to the rest of those junior C scrubs we played last night. I saw we might be juggling the lines and hope this means he gets more of an opportunity.

- I thought that was Zadorov’s best game so far this season. I might be in the minority here, but he at least started to step up and not take the shit Calgary was dishing out. The game equalizer was unfortunate and I don’t put it in him, but he was part to blame for it. Ultimately I hope it’s a game to get him moving in the right direction after a long off season filled with surgery.

Glad to hear Ghetto is coming back, hopefully it means Nieto gets to take a spot in the stands like he deserves. I also wouldn’t mind Dries in for Bourque next game, at least the kid looked hungry when he was out there. I’m personally like to see lines of:

Top line
Jost-Sodaberg-Compher
Wilson-Kerfoot-Andrighetto
Calvert-Kamenev-Dries

Going into next game.

Reactions: Avs71

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Well, that's the thing--he actually DOES make his lines better. I know he's a polarizing player and he doesn't produce a ton on his own, but the puck does end up in the right end of the ice more often when he's on the ice. That doesn't make him a star or big-time producer, but he's much more than some regular complementary piece or passenger.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Oh and I know it's only been like two games and he barely played but I'm still waiting to see this Vlad Kamenev everyone's been talking about. He just kinda cruised around and did nothing of consequence. I'm definitely starting to see why he's starting to draw Grigorenko comparisons. If he's just as slow AND just as soft, get someone back up there who will make the most of their limited minutes, like Dries or O'Connor.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Oh and I know it's only been like two games and he barely played but I'm still waiting to see this Vlad Kamenev everyone's been talking about. He just kinda cruised around and did nothing of consequence. I'm definitely starting to see why he's starting to draw Grigorenko comparisons. If he's just as slow AND just as soft, get someone back up there who will make the most of their limited minutes, like Dries or O'Connor.

Well, then you'll never fully see if he can realize his potential.

I agree though.. I'm not really agreeing with people saying hes playing well personally. I think hes making some nice plays but isn't engaging physically at all.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Compher playing on the wing would be similar to Landeskog playing on the wing - he'll probably be tasked with playing down low and taking defensive zone faceoffs, handling the defensive responsibilities at least primarily. However, Kerfoot is just so much more effective playing centre. He's got great vision, and that is better used up the middle than playing LW.

I don't like Wilson still on that line, but Jost with Soderberg is nice. Getting Matt Nieto the hell away from that 3rd line could be a huge blessing for this team.

Reactions: New Scotlander

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
And believe me I hate the way the word "soft" gets bandied about in this league, I just don't like perimeter players, and right now I just haven't seen Kam engage in any puck battles or get into the dirty areas of the ice to make something happen. He just kinda glided around chasing the play. Again, I went into this season kinda meh on him, so it just may be my bias. I dearly want him to pan out but I just don't know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad