GDT: Worst GDT ever: Avs vs Flames 8pm MST

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Ive been noticing that a few times with EJ. It seems like when he gets an offensive chance he just holds the puck waiting for something to happen then gets himself in a bad spot. He's good enough to make things happen instead of just waiting for things to happen but for some reason it seems like he freezes.

EJ has never had the offensive instincts that the great offensive players like EK or Subban has. He shouldnt have rushed in by himself and when he realized he couldnt do anything since he can’t dangle, his best move should have been to send a shot at the goalie’s chest and then rush back.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Oh and I know it's only been like two games and he barely played but I'm still waiting to see this Vlad Kamenev everyone's been talking about. He just kinda cruised around and did nothing of consequence. I'm definitely starting to see why he's starting to draw Grigorenko comparisons. If he's just as slow AND just as soft, get someone back up there who will make the most of their limited minutes, like Dries or O'Connor.

The deal with Kamenev is that we won't know what we have until he's given a real shot in the Top-6. I get that Bednar wants a team dynamic where that kind of ice time is earned but to expect a guy like Kamenev to first become a 4th line forward and work his way up into the lineup might be a challenge. I think he's probably more comfortable as a center and they are putting him on the wing on top of playing only limited minutes. It's really hard to get into a rhythm when you're playing so sparingly.

Like I said before, I'd prefer a real 'grinder' that is going to take the body on the 4th line than to give a player like Kamenev 6-7 minutes of ice time and expect that he shows you something. I'm not sure we'll see it unless Bednar gets desperate and all our secondary scoring dries up completely. When and IF Kamenev gets that chance on one of the top 2 lines, that will be his true opportunity to showcase what he can do and we'll see what he does with it.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
3-1-1 and the highest goal differential in the Central thus far. Hard to complain really. It just really sucks they stopped playing after they got a two goal lead, that was their game to lose.

Reactions: McMetal

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The deal with Kamenev is that we won't know what we have until he's given a real shot in the Top-6. I get that Bednar wants a team dynamic where that kind of ice time is earned but to expect a guy like Kamenev to first become a 4th line forward and work his way up into the lineup might be a challenge. I think he's probably more comfortable as a center and they are putting him on the wing on top of playing only limited minutes. It's really hard to get into a rhythm when you're playing so sparingly.

Like I said before, I'd prefer a real 'grinder' that is going to take the body on the 4th line than to give a player like Kamenev 6-7 minutes of ice time and expect that he shows you something. I'm not sure we'll see it unless Bednar gets desperate and all our secondary scoring dries up completely. When and IF Kamenev gets that chance on one of the top 2 lines, that will be his true opportunity to showcase what he can do and we'll see what he does with it.

I agree. Which is why I think Kam should be sent down and get his ice time for development rather than playing 4th line mins. When one of the top 6 guys get an injury, call him back up. We shouldnt be completely trying to change a guy’s game, at least not every guy.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
I agree. Which is why I think Kam should be sent down and get his ice time for development rather than playing 4th line mins. When one of the top 6 guys get an injury, call him back up. We shouldnt be completely trying to change a guy’s game, at least not every guy.

Kamanev should be with Soderberg and Andrighetto when he comes back.

Nieto and Bourque are valuable players but valuable 4th line players.

Landeskog - Mack - Rantanen
Wilson - Jost - Kerfoot
Kamanev - Soderberg - Andrighetto
Nieto - Compher - Calvert

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Kamanev should be with Soderberg and Andrighetto when he comes back.

Nieto and Bourque are valuable players but valuable 4th line players.

Landeskog - Mack - Rantanen
Wilson - Jost - Kerfoot
Kamanev - Soderberg - Andrighetto
Nieto - Compher - Calvert
I like these lines a lot. Kamanev hasn't shown much, but his entire line doesn't do much so he's not put in situations where he can show his skill.

I'd scratch Nieto and put in dries. At least he skates hard and wants to make things happen. Nieto looks like a passenger on this team.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Is the sky falling already? I'm pretty sure 99% of you would be happy if I said we'd be 3-1-1 after 5 games before the season began. Like chill out.

It's less about the results and more about the play behind them.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I agree, just wish we'd see a little more oomph from that kid, even though I know he's just not that type of player.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
BTW, maybe it's just me but the officiating crew in this game was absolutely atrocious at getting the hell out of the way. I swear I saw at least 3-4 instances where they directly influenced the game because a puck bounced off their leg/skate or they just plain got in a player's path. I wonder if, with the added speed of the game, if this is becoming more of a problem sport-wide.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It's less about the results and more about the play behind them.

It’s one game. If they start doing this, 3,4,5 games in a row than we should start to worry. Every team has an off game. Especially at the start of the season.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I mean we outplayed the Mild, Flyers, Sabers, were the better team to start the other day and despite losing to Jackets were the better team there, but lost because of their goalie. Seems odd to harp about play because of the two bad periods after being in general the better team in previous 4 games.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I mean we outplayed the Mild, Flyers, Sabres, were the better team to start the other day and despite losing to Jackets were the better team there, but lost because of their goalie. Seems odd to harp about play because of the two bad periods after being in general the better team in previous 4 games.

I didn’t watch the game on Saturday, but the 1st period of the Jackets game was pretty horrid. And I’d say the 3rd was about even, maybe a touch in our favor. Overall I don’t see a ton to complain about so far this season. Played pretty well overall so far.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah, we definitely did not outplay the Jackets nor was Bob amazing. However, I would put more blame on the Avs there as they became observers than the other teams' truly being amazing.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
That's the positive for me to come from our losses. Losing was on us more-so than the other team playing at a level we couldn't match.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad