Worst case scenario and Sens tank again- what's the next step?

senseimike

Dec 6, 2015
Mentally preparing for the worst case scenario- say the team doesn't get out of its inconsistency issues, what happens? Does Staios start trading our top players for draft picks and we start another rebuild? Or is the general consensus that a few changes here and there (i.e. new coach, or whatever) and we'll be back in business next season?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Mentally preparing for the worst case scenario- say the team doesn't get out of its inconsistency issues, what happens? Does Staios start trading our top players for draft picks and we start another rebuild? Or is the general consensus that a few changes here and there (i.e. new coach, or whatever) and we'll be back in business next season?
Hells no.

We trade expiring contracts like Tank and Kubalik to contenders, and maybe see if any peripheral guys generate interest.

The core stays, we draft high, get new staff from top to bottom, and then win the cup.

That’s how I see things play out if we flop. :)

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
We trade Tarasenko and Kubalik at the deadline. We either use our draft pick to draft a player or we use it along with other picks we acquired as capital in a trade for NHL ready talent. I will let the new GM decide what route to go with what's available and how much cap space we have combined with what UFAs are available. We hire a new coach and try again next year. We aren't blowing anything up.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
No matter what happens the next step is get a GM, then get a new coaching staff, then evaluate the roster and make some moves to shore up the issues.

Hopefully we get a new GM and a new coach late in the season to give them time to see the roster in action. If we have to wait for the offseason for a new GM and a new coach, we are going to have to wait a while longer for them to get the chance to evaluate everyone.

Barring a miracle, we are guaranteed a bottom 10 finish

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Wouldn't trade draft capital, mostly 1st round picks, for NHL ready talent.
Cap space is increasing and the team is shedding salary. If they want to add NHL talent they should do so through free agency.

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
If they won't hire a coach without a GM I doubt they make major trades without a GM.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Our play demonstrates we are less than the sum of our parts. New coach fixes this problem but the change may not be instantaneous. I think if we hire an experienced coach, known for their defensive rigidity, the players will have a lot to forget while trying to learn a new system.

This change needs to happen now. We cannot afford to be absolute shit this year only to make this change in the summer and have this process begin next training camp. If we bring in said coach and have this start how, everything will be in place for a competitive season next year.

The absolute worst case scenario is staying status quo and relieving DJ of his duties in the summer, simply because the solution isn't any different than it is right now. This solution obviously relies on us hiring a long term coach, as an interim coach likely becomes the new worst case scenario.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think they wait and see what a new coach and GM do with this core before making any major moves.

But I do think a core or core-adjacent piece could be moved to shake them up. Biggest name I'd see moving (that isn't a UFA to be or old geezer contract) would be Batherson. But that's still highly unlikely at this point.

But.......if things go bad next year and ownership and the GM/POHO decide this core isn't "It," then we might see a retool. But that's at least a good two years away. And if it does happen....we'll at least have a stable owner with a bit more flexibility regarding finances, and hopefully better than the clown show we had in management for the past few years. So, even if worst comes to worst, we're still in a better position than we were 6 years ago. We know the next house built will have a good foundation.

Reactions: Oduyanow

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
In the scenario posted

- Unload UFAs at deadline
- New GM and new coaching staff come in
- Back end is altered to bring in more size
- A gritty winger with experience is brought in

senseimike

Dec 6, 2015
This is all manageable, I think! Hopefully doesn't come to this but I just dread being the Sabres of the last 15 years lol

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
@BondraTime

what is the analysis of the Meows Kid with the 67's.

6"- 6',1" RD..

some sites have him ranked 18th... Probably where the Sens will finish..

If not, maybe trade down. Package a large contract, with the Sens #1. Get a prospect and a pick in the 16-20 zone.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Trade UFA's for draft capital.

New GM, followed by Coach.

Draft players.

Player movement, likely involving one bigger salary to change things up. I'll guess Batherson.

Nothing groundbreaking.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
You'd have to make a big decision on Chychrun (even if we don't tank we'll have to).

1) Does he want to re-sign?
2) How much money does he want (likey $8M+ for 7/8 years)
3) Does it make sense to commit $8M to another LD when you have Sanderson and Chabot?
4) If you sign him, do you move Chabot?

Depending on the answers to those questions, you may have to trade him at this upcoming draft.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Don't like having this discussion with only 17 games played but if we tank then my moves:
- Trade Kubalik
- Trade Tarasenko

Offseason:
- Trade Batherson
- Trade Brannstrom
- Find stay at home RD, that is consistent and hard to play against
- Pinto extension

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I feel like right now we're just in "cross your fingers mode".

We locked up the core. If it succeeds we might win a cup. If it doesn't we'll probably find ourselves as a bubble team for quite some time.

But the course is set and the rockets fired. All we can do is hang on now.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Wouldn't trade Batherson's contract unless some team massively overpays.
I know he hasn't been anywhere close to the player he was two seasons ago, but at that value it would be foolish to throw.

I'm trading Chychyrun if I want to get rid of a contract.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad