GDT: World Juniors

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Whatever it takes, make it happen GMRF. Dream come true

You'll have to keep it a dream. :laugh: Think about how the Canes valued Aho last year at/after the WJC and that's how the Avs feel about Jost right now. They think they've got a gem and Francis would have to way overpay just to get them to listen. Ain't happening.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It seems like fans often want to unite line mates from a lower level at the NHL level, but doesn't seem like it's something that happens a whole lot. Talented players usually play well together, especially at a lower level. I don't think the players usually really have some magical chemistry. Those players will also usually cost too much to get, short of them being undrafted, so not really worth pursuing when it will take an overpayment.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
^True, but chemistry with Roy and Gauthier isn't the reason I want to trade for him.

You'll have to keep it a dream. :laugh: Think about how the Canes valued Aho last year at/after the WJC and that's how the Avs feel about Jost right now. They think they've got a gem and Francis would have to way overpay just to get them to listen. Ain't happening.

I think Slavin or Hanifin would definitely get them to listen. Either of those would hurt a lot, but due mostly to personal bias I'd still end up happy. Most canes fans wouldn't admittedly though lol.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Even if that's not some or all of your reason, those trades don't really happen much, if at all. What motivation do the Avs have to do it? Sure, if we offer Hanifin or Slavin, but that would be a dumb trade in my mind. If we trade one of those guys, it needs to be for someone a good bit more proven, and I like Jost a lot too. Even as far as getting a great young dman, I'm not sure that given the position they are in that they wouldn't rather just trade a Landeskog or Duchene to get it.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Already looking like their is a good chance that defending champs Finland may play in the relegation. A loss to the Czechs and now and an even bigger upset loss to Denmark doesn't look good. They play Sweden next, too, which I think is almost certainly a loss. A 4th loss to an always tough Swiss team isn't out of the question either.

I knew they'd be worse this year than last but I didn't expect this. They should never lose to the Czechs and Danes.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I'm not one to get bent out of shape about the WJC performance of draft picks, but you'd like to see an offensive defenseman you picked in the top 15 get a point in a 10-2 ass whipping.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
That was not deserving of a 5 minute penalty at all, and I'm cheering for Canada. Nice hard hit by Kunin

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
It sucks that Saarela opted out of playing for Finland, for their sake. I feel like he knew that they didn't have a prayer of medaling and didn't want to come over and lose. Very few players that are healthy enough to play games in their home league skip the tournament. You frequently see guys that aren't ready to be back from injury rush back just for the games like Blake Speers for the Canadians. I can't imagine he would have been too happy with his decision should Finland have been relegated. I know it's kinda hot takey, but does this influence how you look at him at all?

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
He also had a rough start to the year with whatever injury he was dealing with and not much production. Seems like he's been coming around lately. Maybe he just didn't want to mess with that. No matter what his reason, I don't really care. I love this tournament, but it's made out to be a much bigger deal than it really is.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I thought there was some finnish article about him that was deleted several times saying he opted out of the tournament because he was injured much of this season, already won last year, and wanted to make it up to his current team and not miss any more time

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
No. That is some far-reaching speculation, and some heavy conclusions being brought from thin revelations.

I don't believe so. He's playing in Liiga, and has been for quite some time, and didn't go to the tournament. Do we know of any other instances where that has been the case? Guys usually break their necks to get healthy for this thing. To call it unconventional would be putting it mildly.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
There was a thread on a different forum the other day that said Tim Gleason turned down an invite to the WJC in between playing at age 17 and 19. Think they even linked an article that mentioned it. Even if he was the first ever, doesn't seem like a big deal. Heck, there are definitely guys that turn down other international tournaments at other points in their careers, so what's the big deal to do it at that level when he already played and won before?

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
There was a thread on a different forum the other day that said Tim Gleason turned down an invite to the WJC in between playing at age 17 and 19. Think they even linked an article that mentioned it. Even if he was the first ever, doesn't seem like a big deal. Heck, there are definitely guys that turn down other international tournaments at other points in their careers, so what's the big deal to do it at that level when he already played and won before?
Tim Gleason also refused to sign with the Senators, which is why they traded him to the Kings. And also the whole Steve Ott thing.

TL;DR Saarela is probably a locker room cancer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad