GDT: World Juniors

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I watched most of Canada's tournament, Bean was awful. Disaster in the defensive zone and in transition. Overall ineffective offensively as a staple on the 2nd PP unit. I had a good chuckle when the announcer said Bean had been having a great tournament.

I had high hopes for him as he has been playing well recently in the WHL... But I can't see anyone watching his constant turnovers, bad pinches, and easily telegraphed shots and say "great tournament".

This is just spitballing, but perhaps part of what Francis and his look for in players is their ability to play within a system, in addition to talent, given the regimented Hurricanes' system. And further, that these players may have difficulty adjusting to a new system on the fly.

I say that with no knowledge of either Canada's system or Calgary's system, and with the knowledge that Bean, while not the slam dunk consensus pick, was about as far from a reach as you can get.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
More people in Canada watch Canada's games than watch the SCF in Canada. That alone should let you know how exciting it can get.

Kudos to America, but that was a tough one to swallow for me. Watching Roy balling after the game sucked, and Carter Hart couldn't even get through an interview. The tournament is big time here.

That is interesting but to be fair, since last years playoffs featured no Canadian teams, I can see how that can be.

Would it be fair to say that the WJC is to Canada what March Madness is to the states?

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
That is interesting but to be fair, since last years playoffs featured no Canadian teams, I can see how that can be.

Would it be fair to say that the WJC is to Canada what March Madness is to the states?

Yes even more so because it is the one time where the entire country is united as one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad