Prospect Info: World Juniors Discussion - 4 Baby Bolts on Team Canada

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Vinik wanted this WJC in TB/Estero. As a fan, I'm theoretically all for getting the WJC down here in a few years once Water Street is further along (although I'd prefer TB/Orlando). I do sort of have to question how much it's worth it for NHL markets. They play a bunch of high priced, low attended games that displaces the pro team for an extended period where it could be a boon to the right smaller/distant markets. (The Saskatoons, St. John's, and Anchorages of the world).

Canada plays in front of another low-attended crowd at the world juniors

Alaska could probably really use a bone throw. Their economy isn't doing so well right now (which may be why they don't get it). They lost the ECHL Alaska Aces, and their D-1 NCAA programs are at risk. Budget cuts could wipe out Alaska's college hockey programs; WCHA fights to remain competitive

But back to what TB can do. I'm seeing the main complaint is ticket prices. If we could get like junior hockey ticket prices to see junior hockey players play junior hockey level hockey, then maybe.

To be fair, the WJC is a higher level than just regular juniors, and the games are really f***ing entertaining. I'd definitely buy tickets for a game or two if they come to Tampa.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Interesting that we're known as the team who drafts Russians, and then we have the most Canadian WJC players in back to back years. We just draft well period, regardless of locale.

Except from Sweden.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
To be fair, the WJC is a higher level than just regular juniors, and the games are really ****ing entertaining. I'd definitely buy tickets for a game or two if they come to Tampa.
Also - Tampa could be a good vacation destination while Buffalo is one of the 7 circles of hell.

Reactions: dechire

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
To be fair, the WJC is a higher level than just regular juniors, and the games are really ****ing entertaining. I'd definitely buy tickets for a game or two if they come to Tampa.
The games are very entertaining, but the WJC isn't a big deal to people in the US for whatever reason. I don't think a lot of casual fans know what it is to begin with, and it's difficult enough to explain that I don't see it really creating many fans.

If Buffalo, an hour away from the border is having trouble, as did Montreal and Toronto for that matter then there needs to be a serious reassessment.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
USA going to play Canada in the place where they put the roads (not inside)

maybi it snow?

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The camera is way too low. Is it usually this low in outdoor games?

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
The camera is way too low. Is it usually this low in outdoor games?

Don't all these stadiums these days have those zip-line things that run side to side with the cameras mounted on them? Too much wind N snow to bust them out? These stadium games usually get some pretty good overhead footage. I'm not seeing it this game (not seeing too much actually, almost looks old-school standard definition with all the snow flurries)

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Gotta love this Finnish broadcast. They've mentioned at least three times that there's a Finnish f***ing referee and they seem so proud of it. And before the game they were talking about how good the #16 is on team USA, whose name they can't remember - they meant Casey Mittelstat, who's wearing #11.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Don't all these stadiums these days have those zip-line things that run side to side with the cameras mounted on them? Too much wind N snow to bust them out? These stadium games usually get some pretty good overhead footage. I'm not seeing it this game (not seeing too much actually, almost looks old-school standard definition with all the snow flurries)
This isn't an NHL/NBC game, keep in mind.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
An outdoor game sounds like a great idea for sure but this is just ruining what could've been a great game between two strong teams.

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
Damn, were ALL the baby Bolts out there for that 3rd goal?

Edit: I saw at least Katchouk, Raddysh, Foote on that line. I couldn't even make out the numbers on the others tho

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad