World Juniors' Attendance

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
Isn't the reality of the situation that the rest of the world not named 'Canada' just sees this as an unimportant player development tournament, and not as a true international competition, so it doesn't really draw?

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Agreed. Just stupid. You know organizers were banking on Canadians paying that price, because we will. However, we are talking about amateur athletes here, and growing the tournament in the US, making the most money shouldn't have been primary goal. You can make a lot of money, rather than an obscene amount of money, and create a better atmosphere.

Exactly! Unbelievably short-sighted in the long run. If the US garnered any appreciable amount of support (and had an ESPN/FSN/Comcast pushing the tournament the way TSN adopted it), the amount of money that could be made in the future far outweighs what they stand to make this year.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Yeah, I would have much preferred a lower overall ticket pricing, especially for games involving the non-North American teams, to get people in the seats and grow the basic interest of the game. The pre-tournie games in Jamestown were under 20 dollars a seat and there are clearly some very jazzed up "new" junior hockey fans down there after two days of tune up games. Imagining having that sort of hard-core rooting interest for a group in a larger community would be great.

But that isn't how they priced it. They priced it to make money on it. Heck, the team has flexed pricing on games against known draws (the Leafs and Habs primarily) where they then don't sell out but make more on the gate due to the overall cost of the seats.

While I hate the pricing... I do love that it is here (and that I can take my son without a long drive or other costs. I know that he will remember this -- he's already asking if we can go to Russia for the Olympics.... :amazed: :biglaugh: ) I would love it more if MORE people found it affordable to fill the rink and give all these kids the experience of a packed house that they deserve.

I don't think it's about lower overall pricing, just for the american games. Anything lower than $25 for the european games and you really risk devaluing the tournament as something that people look at "It costs nothing, so might aswell go", versus "close to top level hockey".

One thing that I think has become problematic with the WJCs is the fact that (largely due to TSN), it's become too much about money. When hosted in USA or any of the european countries, it provides the opportunity to grow the importance of the tournament as people get interested -- but prices have to be affordable for locals to see their team (let the black market create hype).

However, Canada won the bid for 5 of the next 7 (or whatever it is) because they know that as long as they move it around the country (after winning the rights to the tournament, Hockey Canada took bids from cities), it'll be a huge moneymaker every single year, so they can bid the most. You also have the NHL who obviously wants the tournament in North America. This raises the cost that a federation would have to pay in order to get the tournament, so they have to maximize profits as a result.

Having all these tournaments in North America does not bode well for the european countries either, as the earliest games (noon EST) are at 6pm in a country like Sweden.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Isn't the reality of the situation that the rest of the world not named 'Canada' just sees this as an unimportant player development tournament, and not as a true international competition, so it doesn't really draw?

But when the US wins the tournament, US fans on HF act like they've REALLY accomplished something.

I mean, you have to pick a side. You either totally care about the tournament (thus the attendence in US and no coverage) or you don't (when US wins).

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Given that the US is the defending champions, it really seems to be an opportunity lost.

As Homer Simpson would say "Yeah, but what are ya gonna do?" :)

Money talks my friend, money talks.

:)

BlackAces*

This hockey is as entertaining as any you will find on the planet. That is what needs to be shown.

puck swami

Apr 29, 2004
I don't know about the pricing aspect as primary driver of why Bullalonians aren't coming out. I think there is a base audience of American junior hockey fans in Buffalo who are the 5,000 USA fans who turned out last night to see Team USA, along with the 5,000 Canadians who had the USA/Finland game in their package and stayed to see it, and another 4,000 Canadians who had tickets but didn't bother staying there and that's the 14,000 ticket sold for your attendence count, but only 10-12k in the building and only half that are Team USA fans,

Maybe, if tickets had been $20 or less, you get another 2,000 Buffalo people to come out of curiosity, for a total of 7,000-8,000 USA fans. I think that speaks to the interest level in this tournament for American fans. You need Canada to make it work financially.

BlackAces*

Exactly! Unbelievably short-sighted in the long run. If the US garnered any appreciable amount of support (and had an ESPN/FSN/Comcast pushing the tournament the way TSN adopted it), the amount of money that could be made in the future far outweighs what they stand to make this year.

Yup, if there were big, inspired crowds, major media would be more apt to notice, and cover it. Even if the average ticket price was $20, who cares? Nobody would.

As Homer Simpson would say "Yeah, but what are ya gonna do?" :)

Money talks my friend, money talks.

Sometimes you have to think big picture over short term gain.It works in Canada because it is an established event. Even still, there are a lot of people mad that this tournament has basically been priced out of smaller markets.

Organizers need to take a step back and get some perspective.

BlackAces*

I don't know about the pricing aspect as primary driver of why Bullalonians aren't coming out. I think there is a base audience of American junior hockey fans in Buffalo who are the 5,000 USA fans who turned out last night to see Team USA, along with the 5,000 Canadians who had the USA/Finland game in their package and stayed to see it, and another 4,000 Canadians who had tickets but didn't bother staying there and that's the 14,000 ticket sold for your attendence count, but only 10-12k in the building and only half that are Team USA fans,

Maybe, if tickets had been $20 or less, you get another 2,000 Buffalo people to come out of curiosity, for a total of 7,000-8,000 USA fans. I think that speaks to the interest level in this tournament for American fans. You need Canada to make it work financially.

I don't buy that. You have to create a bond to the game, and that means accessibility. For some reason Americans love college sports, even though the vast majority is blow outs, and boring as sin. It is all based on hype, and feeling connected.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

This hockey is as entertaining as any you will find on the planet. That is what needs to be shown.

Yup!!!

The hockey is GREAT!!! After the Germany-Switzerland game yesterday, all 5,000 in attendance, stood up and applauded what was a terrific, hard faught, game. The kids, most who had never seen a crowd this big, looked quite grateful.

At the end of the day, I LOVE hockey. No matter who is playing and I am willing to pay to see it. Given that I got to see Nino Niederreiter was a bonus!

Where the Organizers missed the boat... Why wasn't there an opening ceremony?

Something to start the tournament off with a bang! Something to Celebrate(!) the US win in 2010. Maybe have a small parade outside the arena to celebrate last years win. Something to say to the American fan... come and give these kids their due!!! Come and support our boys!!!

The organizers didn't and tried to save every nickel. Everything that was shown on the overhead screens was old TSN stuff - Top 10 Lists, etc... That was shameful!

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Sometimes you have to think big picture over short term gain.It works in Canada because it is an established event. Even still, there are a lot of people mad that this tournament has basically been priced out of smaller markets.

Organizers need to take a step back and get some perspective.

Very true. :) I was just trying to be funny. :)

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Yup!!!

The hockey is GREAT!!! After the Germany-Switzerland game yesterday, all 5,000 in attendance, stood up and applauded what was a terrific, hard faught, game. The kids, most who had never seen a crowd this big, looked quite grateful.

At the end of the day, I LOVE hockey. No matter who is playing and I am willing to pay to see it. Given that I got to see Nino Niederreiter was a bonus!

Where the Organizers missed the boat... Why wasn't there an opening ceremony?

Something to start the tournament off with a bang! Something to Celebrate(!) the US win in 2010. Maybe have a small parade outside the arena to celebrate last years win. Something to say to the American fan... come and give these kids their due!!! Come and support our boys!!!

The organizers didn't and tried to save every nickel. Everything that was shown on the overhead screens was old TSN stuff - Top 10 Lists, etc... That was shameful!

Right before the tournemant was to start would not be the best time to celebrate.3-6 Weeks ago that would have been the time to celebrate not now.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
I don't buy that. You have to create a bond to the game, and that means accessibility. For some reason Americans love college sports, even though the vast majority is blow outs, and boring as sin. It is all based on hype, and feeling connected.

Well said. The WJC was not a cash cow until TSN got a hold of it and started promoting it. There was no television coverage, other than grainy, poor quality stuff from Europe. It's now a holiday tradition throughout most of Canada, and has become huge.

I think it's the best hockey around, and it wouldn't take a lot of exposure to have it appeal to a wider audience - watch a game and you're hooked!

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Right before the tournemant was to start would not be the best time to celebrate.3-6 Weeks ago that would have been the time to celebrate not now.

Fair enough. I can live with that.... but they should have done something.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Well said. The WJC was not a cash cow until TSN got a hold of it and started promoting it. There was no television coverage, other than grainy, poor quality stuff from Europe. It's now a holiday tradition throughout most of Canada, and has become huge.

I think it's the best hockey around, and it wouldn't take a lot of exposure to have it appeal to a wider audience - watch a game and you're hooked!

Well said!

BlackAces*

I have loved this tournament for a long time, but when the tournament was here in 1999, a friend of mine bought a tournament package for like $120 bucks to sit in the nose bleeds at old Winnipeg Arena. The package included all of Team Canada's games, and all of the medal round games.

That tournament made a lot of money, it was also the start of creating the hugely hyped tournament this thing has become, because the crowds were just insane, and the entire country saw it.

I think Buffalo would have been better off looking at how Winnipeg made money with such low ticket pricing, and a smaller arena.

Best $120 ever spent. I was in high school at the time, so it wasn't a completely throw away value.Still easily the best money I ever spent.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
That's kind of an ignorant and chauvinistic thing to say, don't you think? Not to mention downright insulting to the several countries who have hosted this tournament before.

I don't see how as the facts are on my side. I love the WJCs but don't presume it's all that relevant in the global sports culture.

17*

A lot depends on how well team USA does at this tournement.

Their crowds should pickup as the tournement progresses.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

The problem with that is that most of the players are in college or with their CHL teams, and wouldn't have been available.

That is true too... maybe, instead of having the first US game last night, swap it with tonight's Slovakia-Germany game.

The US game could have been the only game on today's schedule - you would also avoid a Bills conflict.

Then make a day of it. At noon, have a small parade to celebrate the WJR's in Buffalo. Then, an hour or two before the game, have a ceremony in the arena. Heck, spend the money to bring back the US kids who won last year. Give them a 2nd Ceremonial Gold Medal.

Do something to make it special. They way they handled it, they saved money and no one noticed.

BlackAces*

It really is. It is like watching hockey from the 80s- early 90s. Kids make mistakes, tons of hitting, fast paced, lots of skill, it is awesome.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
But when the US wins the tournament, US fans on HF act like they've REALLY accomplished something.

I mean, you have to pick a side. You either totally care about the tournament (thus the attendence in US and no coverage) or you don't (when US wins).

I don't understand your point. The American fans on HF Boards are the ones who care, so we will strut around when the U.S. does well. It is an accomplishment to win the WJCs, regardless of the national interest in this country.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

It really is. It is like watching hockey from the 80s- early 90s. Kids make mistakes, tons of hitting, fast paced, lots of skill, it is awesome.

On the positive side... the growth of this tournament has poured a LOT of money into Hockey Canada and the grass root game and that can never be a bad thing.

puck swami

Apr 29, 2004

Americans have a curiously low relationship engagement with international team sports. Most of the time, interest in US team sports is very low. Look at our national baseball team - do Americans care about the World Baseball Classic or Olympic Baseball? Barely. Do we care about our 'Dream Team' in hoops? Not that much, win or lose.World Cup Soccer? Interest is growing, but still relatively minor. USA Hockey teams? They cared in 1980, when it was the upset of the Russians. Since then, not so much - a brief wave of interest in 2002 and 2010 when playing for a gold medal, but nothing that really capitivated the country. World Junior hockey? 99% of Americans don't even know its being played.

American's love individuals in international sports, and they love doemstic team sports, especially the NFL. But international team sports are low on the American totem pole.

copter

Apr 3, 2007
I think when all is said and done, this year's tourney will prove to be the most successful one to date.

Average ticket prices are definitely cheaper than Ottawa was 2 years ago (I know becuase I bought tickets for both).

Average attendance will be higher than Ottawa was.

Total revenue will likely exceed that of Ottawa.

Will it garner enough interest in the US to make fans of those who aren't currently fans? I'm not sure. But quite honestly, this year's organizers are not concerned with that (and why should they be?). The oganizing committee is concerned about the finances. That's it. It's not like they have anything to gain by creating fans.

As for the price comparison to Sabres games - it's a bit cheaper to see the Juniors, and quite honestly, I think it's an overall better experience (and I am a Sabres STH).

Perhaps the USA games should have been priced a bit lower, but I believe the organizers thought there would be a bit more interest states side coming off last year's gold medal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad