World Juniors 2021 Discussion Thread

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Must be tough for you. You must sleep during the regular season of the NHL and OHL!

:bb:

Actually, I can count on one hand the number of NHL regular season games I watch every year. Playoffs? They are must see!

OHL however? I don’t miss a Kitchener Ranger game. Not one. Huge fan. And in years where a Ranger is part of Team Canada, I watch all those games too. Even the blowouts.

But because of this format, there are too many games that aren’t must win so when Canada plays a bottom feeder, I just don’t bother.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Actually, I can count on one hand the number of NHL regular season games I watch every year. Playoffs? They are must see!

OHL however? I don’t miss a Kitchener Ranger game. Not one. Huge fan. And in years where a Ranger is part of Team Canada, I watch all those games too. Even the blowouts.

But because of this format, there are too many games that aren’t must win so when Canada plays a bottom feeder, I just don’t bother.

That’s fine for you. If I can, I’ll watch any Swe-Fin, Rus-Cze-Svk, Can-US-Rus-Swe match in this format. FWIW, the top line with a nearly complete German line up (in the last two imo must win games) was well worth watching. I’m pretty sure all of Swe, Rus, US, Cze considered Canada must avoid making all their games important.

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Must be tough for you. You must sleep during the regular season of the NHL and OHL!

:bb:

So he doesn't watch game 1, 2 or 3 of a playoff series because they aren't must win? Only watches game 4 if the series is 3-0?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
So he doesn't watch game 1, 2 or 3 of a playoff series because they aren't must win? Only watches game 4 if the series is 3-0?

Be nice!

I understand what he is saying with respect to the early games of this tourney. Simply look at the scores and it is clear why he doesn't get excited to watch Canada beat Germany 16-2.

Tonights game with Finland, though? It isn't a must win for either team but it will be entertaining. Some solid skill with high profile players on Finland. Will be fun to watch.

Reactions: EvenSteven

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Even if the games aren't "must-win", they've been exciting. Look at Russia/Sweden today; that was a normal game yet it was edge-of-your-seat in the third period. If someone is waiting until the QF to watch, they're missing out.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Even if the games aren't "must-win", they've been exciting. Look at Russia/Sweden today; that was a normal game yet it was edge-of-your-seat in the third period. If someone is waiting until the QF to watch, they're missing out.

Maybe thats their choice to watch the qf games and on...

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Games 1, 2 or 3 mean a lot more in a playoff series than Can/Ger, Can/Swi, or Can/Svk. And at 3-0, the Can/Fin game became a nothing game really. The round robin portion of this tourney means little to powerhouse teams. Nothing more than seeding for the medal round.

Give me the old format of the 80’s and 90’s over the current format. Sure, there may not be an actual “Gold medal game”, but the winner of the gold at least had to play every one of the top teams and every game was MUST WIN. Lose a game under that format and you needed “help” to win the gold.

Theoretically, under the current format, a team can mail it in during the round robin, squeak into the medal round after going, say, 2-2, and still win gold and possibly during the process, maybe not have to play every top team.

This year, after going 4-0 in the round robin, Canada will go through the medal round not having to play at least one of USA, Russia, or Sweden. If, heaven forbid, Canada loses to the Czech Republic in the quarter final game, they’ll be done and we won’t see Canada play ANY of the top teams from the other division.

I’m sorry, but give me the old format guaranteeing me games vs all those teams over the current format.

Last edited:

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Games 1, 2 or 3 mean a lot more in a playoff series than Can/Ger, Can/Swi, or Can/Svk. And at 3-0, the Can/Fin game became a nothing game really. The round robin portion of this tourney means little to powerhouse teams. Nothing more than seeding for the medal round.

Give me the old format of the 80’s and 90’s over the current format. Sure, there may not be an actual “Gold medal game”, but the winner of the gold at least had to play every one of the top teams and every game was MUST WIN. Lose a game under that format and you needed “help” to win the gold.

Theoretically, under the current format, a team can mail it in during the round robin, squeak into the medal round after going, say, 2-2, and still win gold and possibly during the process, maybe not have to play every top team.

This year, after going 4-0 in the round robin, Canada will go through the medal round not having to play at least one of USA, Russia, or Sweden. If, heaven forbid, Canada loses to the Czech Republic in the quarter final game, they’ll be done and we won’t see Canada play ANY of the top teams from the other division.

I’m sorry, but give me the old format guaranteeing me games vs all those teams over the current format.

The bolded words say it all.... it's not about you .. read this thread

Reactions: EvenSteven

Otto

Just to add to the previous post about only having round robin games...

So far this years tournament ranks 12th in average goal differential per game out of the 45 official tournaments that have been played. Of the 11 that rank higher, all but three were played under the aforementioned format. So if you don't like blowouts, the old format wouldn't be that appealing.

Of those three tournaments not under that format

1981 - Teams were in two groups of 4, played a round robin top 2 from each group would move on to the Championship round, bottom 4 would go to the consolation round. Then another round robin was played in each group. Last place in the consolation group was relegated (Austria), First in the Championship won gold (Sweden) The tournament ended in anti-climactic form with a 6-6 tie between Czechoslovakia (4th) and Finland (Silver)

1978 - Same format as above, except it wasn't called Consolation round, it was called "Group B" in the Championship round.. last place still got relegated (Switzerland), after the round robin for Group A in the Championship round the top two teams played in a gold medal game with the Soviet Union beating Sweden 5-2 (Sweden beat them 6-3 in the first round robin, Soviets won 5-0 in the Championship round)

2009 - Two groups of 5 teams each. The tournament was expanded to 10 teams for the 1996 tournament, presumably to accommodate for the fall of the iron curtain and thus there were more teams. Teams played a round robin with the top 3 teams from each group advancing to the Final round and the remaining 4 teams moving to the relegation round. The top team from each group received a bye into the semi finals in the final round. Canada won their 5th straight gold after beating Sweden 5-1, but they had to beat the Russians 6-5 in overtime to get to the goal medal game. The bottom two teams in the relegation round were sent down to the Division I for 2010 (Germany/Kazakhstan)

This years tournament is less about the offence, and more about the defense. So far this year the losing team is averaging 1.15 goals per game. The lowest in tournament history

YearGamesGF GA DifAvg GFAvg GAAvg Dif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
If you're Canadian and love OHL hockey like EvenSteven the 16-2 games are hard for the players as well. You could see on some of he Canadian players not wanting to embarrass or disrespect other players on Germany. Some fans love blowouts and others just want to see hockey at this stage. It is definitely a personal preference. After the 10th or 12th goal was enough for me but I was interested in Suzuki+Perfetti's performance along with other guys in the OHL. To criticize ones right to watch certain preliminary games is not up to me or anyone else.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
If you're Canadian and love OHL hockey like EvenSteven the 16-2 games are hard for the players as well. You could see on some of he Canadian players not wanting to embarrass or disrespect other players on Germany. Some fans love blowouts and others just want to see hockey at this stage. It is definitely a personal preference. After the 10th or 12th goal was enough for me but I was interested in Suzuki+Perfetti's performance along with other guys in the OHL. To criticize ones right to watch certain preliminary games is not up to me or anyone else.

Agreed

Otto

In contrast, to criticize a teams right to play in the tournament isn't up to the fans.. because.. again.. it's not about the fans

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
But you still haven't done it yet.. you're so much better at running tournaments, and coaching, and being a GM, and owning a team... yet you haven't done it yet

I have some swamp land i can sell u too.
Prime land.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Who determines what's "better competition"? Hint: It's not us.

Russia just beat Germany 2-1 in a solid game. Finland/Sweden, Canada/Czech, USA/Slovakia tonight. All three should be seriously good.

Reactions: Otto

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Who determines what's "better competition"? Hint: It's not us.

Russia just beat Germany 2-1 in a solid game. Finland/Sweden, Canada/Czech, USA/Slovakia tonight. All three should be seriously good.

Who determines it then?
Now of the games following will be good. Thats up to each person impression.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad