World Juniors 2021 Discussion Thread

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
In contrast, to criticize a teams right to play in the tournament isn't up to the fans.. because.. again.. it's not about the fans

I don't remember saying anything about a teams right to play. Germany was unfortunate with Covid shortening their bench and still they gave the Russians a scare with some added depth with the return of some players. My only point was that everyone has a different option when it comes to how they deal with lopsided games. Again not the teams fault at all. This tournament is different than any other previous due to Covid. It could have been Canada with 6 or more guys out of the lineup with Covid. Not trying to argue at all but merely pointing out it was an opinion by ES.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I don't remember saying anything about a teams right to play. Germany was unfortunate with Covid shortening their bench and still they gave the Russians a scare with some added depth with the return of some players. My only point was that everyone has a different option when it comes to how they deal with lopsided games. Again not the teams fault at all. This tournament is different than any other previous due to Covid. It could have been Canada with 6 or more guys out of the lineup with Covid. Not trying to argue at all but merely pointing out it was an opinion by ES.

Sorry... comment wasn't directed towards you personally. It was directed towards those who have openly said they don't think teams like Germany do not belong in the tournament because it impacts their enjoyment.

However there are some who post here that I don't think ever enjoy a hockey game.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
And where does the qualifier come from? And what's the format?

And what about the rest of the divisions, how do you plan on those?

The qualifier would have to win a tournament consistent of the other teams that were not mentioned. This would have to be done earlier of course.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
The qualifier would have to win a tournament consistent of the other teams that were not mentioned. This would have to be done earlier of course.
You really haven't provided any specifics. What would the other divisions be and what is the format?

You have been very negative about this (well everything really so it should come as no surprise). There are 40 Countries that have U20 teams. You have a blank canvass, please map out for us what your ideal complete U20 tournaments would consist of. Simply saying "reduce the teams" in the top division creates a whole mess of problems for the lower division... so let's see what you suggest.

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
You have never posted thoughts, only negative comments with zero substance. Now is your time to shine! Show the World that you actually have something to say

Thats your opinion they r negative.
I cant help that. Lol

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
So.. once again you have nothing to add. You've just proven that your only purpose here is to be negative and to actually add nothing to the conversation.

Or u r mad because people dont play your games....

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Just to add to the previous post about only having round robin games...

So far this years tournament ranks 12th in average goal differential per game out of the 45 official tournaments that have been played. Of the 11 that rank higher, all but three were played under the aforementioned format. So if you don't like blowouts, the old format wouldn't be that appealing.

Of those three tournaments not under that format

1981 - Teams were in two groups of 4, played a round robin top 2 from each group would move on to the Championship round, bottom 4 would go to the consolation round. Then another round robin was played in each group. Last place in the consolation group was relegated (Austria), First in the Championship won gold (Sweden) The tournament ended in anti-climactic form with a 6-6 tie between Czechoslovakia (4th) and Finland (Silver)

1978 - Same format as above, except it wasn't called Consolation round, it was called "Group B" in the Championship round.. last place still got relegated (Switzerland), after the round robin for Group A in the Championship round the top two teams played in a gold medal game with the Soviet Union beating Sweden 5-2 (Sweden beat them 6-3 in the first round robin, Soviets won 5-0 in the Championship round)

2009 - Two groups of 5 teams each. The tournament was expanded to 10 teams for the 1996 tournament, presumably to accommodate for the fall of the iron curtain and thus there were more teams. Teams played a round robin with the top 3 teams from each group advancing to the Final round and the remaining 4 teams moving to the relegation round. The top team from each group received a bye into the semi finals in the final round. Canada won their 5th straight gold after beating Sweden 5-1, but they had to beat the Russians 6-5 in overtime to get to the goal medal game. The bottom two teams in the relegation round were sent down to the Division I for 2010 (Germany/Kazakhstan)

This years tournament is less about the offence, and more about the defense. So far this year the losing team is averaging 1.15 goals per game. The lowest in tournament history

YearGamesGF GA DifAvg GFAvg GAAvg Dif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I like both formats.

I like the old format because Canada plays every team and with only 8 teams, the 9th and 10th place teams that are typically doormats aren't in the main group. However, that was also when it was CCCP and Czechoslovakia. Team Russia had access to a larger number of players like from Ukraine etc. And of course, Czechoslovakia combined both the Czech Republic and Slovakia. To a lessor extent, you had East and West Germany. The Eastern block breakup somewhat watered down the competition because players were spread out over a larger number of teams.

I like the new format as well. The 2009 Championship will go down as the most exciting live hockey event I've ever been in attendance for. The value of semi's and finals has more of an impact overall.

In the end, the biggest value of the new format is the impact provided for the lower level teams and the exposure they get. This year, a team like Austria is living a dream! Also, what sort of shame would it have been had Germany been relegated last year and we wouldn't have seen this edition of the German squad?

Overall, I see more value in the current format.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
In the end, the biggest value of the new format is the impact provided for the lower level teams and the exposure they get. This year, a team like Austria is living a dream! Also, what sort of shame would it have been had Germany been relegated last year and we wouldn't have seen this edition of the German squad?

This. I love seeing new teams enter the tournament every year. Kazakhstan? Lativa? Belarus? Norway? Bring it on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad