Prospect Info: World Junior thread

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Just end finished watching USA/Sweden game...Kempe looked mostly invisible. And I was trying to watch him all the time. He was physical after the whistle a couple of times. Had one good offensive shift where he took the puck on the side wall with speed and went all the way around the net to the bule line and into the slot for a shot but missed wide. But other than that he wasn't heard from much...maybe had a couple shots go wide. Really disappointed with his play in that game. Especially with W. Nylander out of the game. He should be dominating guys and he just isn't. I don't think this tournament is helping him develop, just giving him bad habits that he'll have to work out back in the AHL.

On the home front...USA looked good with a Kings like grinding game. They just couldn't score on the goalie (they were like 0-8 on the PP). Need to find some offense to win the tournament.

So, based on one game, this tournament isn't doing anything other than giving him bad habits? ok then...

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
FWIW I agree that Kempe has been much stronger and more noticeable in Ontario than for Sweden, but it seems like a role thing. Hard to explain

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
FWIW I agree that Kempe has been much stronger and more noticeable in Ontario than for Sweden, but it seems like a role thing. Hard to explain

Perhaps. Or perhaps its the fact this was game two for him, one of which he got rattled pretty good. Hard to judge anything on two games.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Perhaps. Or perhaps its the fact this was game two for him, one of which he got rattled pretty good. Hard to judge anything on two games.

For sure.

He was much more effective in their first game before getting his clock cleaned. Was actually trying to praise his Ontario performances rather than slag his international performance but it came out wrong, heh.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Honest to goodness, this is what it's all about.

I always appreciate feedback, and like hearing insights. But seriously, in all of the shift by shift videos I've made the past two seasons, the key argument I make is not to judge an 18, 19, 20 year-old based off of one game. It could be a bad day at work, and if people judged my career outlook or habits based upon an off day, I'd be hopeless.

I hope the feedback continues to come, don't get me wrong, but it's so important to be mindful of what we're evaluating: a kid at a day of work.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Just end finished watching USA/Sweden game...Kempe looked mostly invisible. And I was trying to watch him all the time. He was physical after the whistle a couple of times. Had one good offensive shift where he took the puck on the side wall with speed and went all the way around the net to the bule line and into the slot for a shot but missed wide. But other than that he wasn't heard from much...maybe had a couple shots go wide. Really disappointed with his play in that game. Especially with W. Nylander out of the game. He should be dominating guys and he just isn't. I don't think this tournament is helping him develop, just giving him bad habits that he'll have to work out back in the AHL.

On the home front...USA looked good with a Kings like grinding game. They just couldn't score on the goalie (they were like 0-8 on the PP). Need to find some offense to win the tournament.
I think the WJC is a nice tournament.

At one point I was totally done with it because of the idiotic comments after every game. That player was ''insane'', this player had ''sick'' hands, the other one was overrated....sometimes after 1/2 game(s)..

Thats a reason why I ignore that subforum of this site. Yet now I get to read that **** here as well. Can we just stop with that.

Why do we never read this after an AHL game but somehow its different with every WJC game. Than every fart is subject of discussion.

Personally I think its annoying.

Kempe will also top out as a great 3rd line player or 2nd liner at best and we should be glad with that for a 29th overall pick.

Last edited:

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

At one point I was totally done with it because of the idiotic comments after every game. That player was ''insane'', this player had ''sick'' hands, the other one was overrated....sometimes after 1/2 game(s)..

Thats a reason why I ignore that subforum of this site. Yet now I get to read that **** here as well. Can we just stop with that.

Why do we never read this after an AHL game but somehow its different with every WJC game. Than every fart is subject of discussion.

Kempe will also top out as a great 3rd line player or 2nd liner at best and we should be glad with that for a 29th overall pick.

Likely the reason is the WJC is on the international spotlight and can be found (at least in Canada, not sure about everywhere else) on national television. In the AHL, not only are you sometimes you're lucky to get a scrambly feed filmed on some Grade 12 arts class camera, it's also not glorified like the WJC is.

Mike Carr

Jul 19, 2012
Kempe will also top out as a great 3rd line player or 2nd liner at best and we should be glad with that for a 29th overall pick.[/QUOTE]

the Stothers interview this week said he thought Kempe was a lock NHL 3rd liner who could maybe top out to fringe 2nd liner, but has been really surprised since he has had him - reckons he has all the tools and if they can put them together he could be much better than he expected - said he knew he had amazing speed and good strength but has been surprised by his skill and shot etc. Was interesting read.
It does sound like Kempe will need 18months more in the AHL at least - sounds like a lot of work on positioning especially on the defensive side - think 18 months of working hard on defence whilst taking his point scoring to what Weal and Merch were doing before he gets a cup of coffee with the big team - I see a lot of comments where people are pencilling him in the Kings next year and that won't be happening - he is only 20 and not a top 10 pick - Mersh is 25 and a big boy as a comparison. Kempe will be the better player but has 18months minimum IMO

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA

Because WJC are on TV and the AHL is not. It's a hockey website! If you don't like it, don't read it. But it's a Kings prospect in a Kings prospect thread...so we are aloud to talk about it.

Look, I wasn't judging him off one game. I think the WJC are a great showcase for prospects but if your going to be one of the better prospects there, you better dominate. But if your not going to dominate then why go?

If your ultimate goal is to play in the NHL and your already a step away (AHL) and playing well. Why go play in a tournament against lesser players and not bring your A game. To me, it's just a waste of your time when you can be developing your game against bigger and stronger players.

Brad Doty had it right...I wasn't trying to kill his performance but was trying to say that he's been playing better in the AHL than this tournament (both games). I just think that for him, it would have been better to pass on this tournament to stay with the AHL team.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

the AHL is mostly drafted players, the world juniors is mostly players looking to be drafted or who were just drafted. It is a bigger deal for evaluating the upcoming draft class than an AHL game, that is why each player is watched closer. Also the HF in HFbaords stands for Hockey Futures (I believe) so it makes sense that a prospect tournament gets a lot thread time

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
missed it but congrats to kempe on his goal at world juniors

It was a snipe top shelf after coming in with speed. Should have gotten a secondary assist on another goal but it was giving to someone not even on the ice. My guess is they messed up the numbers. Great game today for Kempe. He was named player of the game for team Sweden. That was the dominant performance I was hoping for.

T2M

Jan 28, 2004
To be fair, the WJC is widely considered to be a great proving ground for the top U20 players in the world. If you are able to come in on short notice, dominate your peers, and play in a pressure cooker of representing your nation it shows that you have the ability to elevate your game in a short period of time and excel as a hockey player. It does not mean you will have a good NHL career, but it does let scouts see how well you stack up against higher quality competition than what a lot of these players play against every day in their respective leagues. The top 6 or 7 teams in the tournament (Canada, Czech Republic, Finland, Sweden, USA, and Slovakia) often have deeper teams than your average junior team. Going up against the bottom 6 on those teams is way more pressure than dismantling a bunch of guys whose hockey careers are going to end in the CHL when you are a top prospect. The players who can elevate in this tournament show they have some potential. It does not mean they will excel (heck, I'm sure everybody has seen somebody excel in the WJC and fail afterwards), but it is the best measuring stick among peers that you're going to get before the NHL.

And that said, it's good to hear that our prospects are doing what they should be doing, but it's a small sample size. It's kind of like the pre-season. Don't get too excited if you win, but be concerned if you keep losing.

cali101

Nov 23, 2014
It was a snipe top shelf after coming in with speed. Should have gotten a secondary assist on another goal but it was giving to someone not even on the ice. My guess is they messed up the numbers. Great game today for Kempe. He was named player of the game for team Sweden. That was the dominant performance I was hoping for.

thanks for that ,and good for him. he's a talented guy.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Kempe was very good today, using his speed to penetrate the zone, had some very good chances, and his PP goal scored off a one-timer on his off-wing was nice.

I'd be very surprised if Canada gets into the medal round. This is probably the least talented group they've sent to the WJC. Seems like many also think that Roland McKeown is one of the weaker guys on Canada's blueline. Not sure if he's stagnated in his development or not, but he hasn't done anything in this tournament.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Kempe has probably been Sweden's best forward together with Timashov and Alex Nylander.

He had a somewhat mediocer game against USA, but that goes for the entire team.

Sadly, he plays on a line that doesn't make any sense. Holmström is the slowest forward on the team, would be great if William Nylander and he were put on the same line.

I think Kempe has a solid future. Kinda looks like Mikael Renberg.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kempe has probably been Sweden's best forward together with Timashov and Alex Nylander.

He had a somewhat mediocer game against USA, but that goes for the entire team.

Sadly, he plays on a line that doesn't make any sense. Holmström is the slowest forward on the team, would be great if William Nylander and he were put on the same line.

I think Kempe has a solid future. Kinda looks like Mikael Renberg.

I would LOVE that. Was my favorite player on some great Flyers teams.

Thanks for the update. I love his raw tools. He's still certainly 'raw' and learning but there are some absolutely brilliant moments that give a glimpse of his upside both in this tourney and in Ontario.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Holy crap russia's about to get bounced by the Danes! Ouch! Greatest upset of all time.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Russia won it in OT. Dergachyov was a beast. Seemed to get better and better as the game went along, made a beauty pass to assist on one of the goals and was in front of the net when Russia tied it with their goalie pulled. Sharipzyanov didn't seem to get a whole lot of icetime and was often chasing the play a bit.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Hoping the US can get pass the Czechs witch won't be an easy task but US-Russia Semi's would be :amazed:!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad