Prospect Info: World Junior thread

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Not me. Always been about the NHL for me, and always will be. So I respectfully disagree with your position.

This. But that's why I love this tournament, it very minimally affects the big clubs (especially now that most of the top 5 picks from the prior year make the team that drafted them) and we don't have to worry about players who would go back to the NHL to finish the year (Olympics, I am looking at you) getting hurt or players off-season work being delayed, maybe even missing part of the next season (WCs, I am looking at you).

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Has to feel like a minor victory for the US--going into the third period tied 1-1 after killing that major and scoring a goal. Especially, as another poster pointed out, after leaving off some major potential scoring in Connor et. al.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
hackasaw-jim-duggan-o.gif

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Unless there is evidence that you are more likely to be injured in the WJC (versus other leagues, AHL etc) then arguing that players shouldn't go because of possible injury is silly. This obviously excludes tournaments played after the other leagues season is over.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Clearly, if you are playing for the minor league affiliate of the major league team, that's different. Don't try to extend the argument I made to the sublime. You know what I meant.

My point is this is no different. The Kings loan Kempe to Manchester and now they are loaning him to Team Sweden for two weeks. The process and distance from being in the Los Angeles Kings line up is exactly the same, the only thing different is the team he's being loaned to. So if you are opposed to this, you should be opposed to him going to Manchester as well.

So no, I guess I don't know what you mean.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Obligatory 'Murica.

That hit on Kempe looked brutal. Just what I want to ****ing see, one of our top prospects get his melon rattled like that. Ugh I hope he'll be alright, concussions are no ****ing joke.

Ron*

My point is this is no different. The Kings loan Kempe to Manchester and now they are loaning him to Team Sweden for two weeks. The process and distance from being in the Los Angeles Kings line up is exactly the same, the only thing different is the team he's being loaned to. So if you are opposed to this, you should be opposed to him going to Manchester as well.

So no, I guess I don't know what you mean.

Maybe.

But I'm thinking if he gets badly injured, your take might be very different.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Just caught up on some WJC on the DVR from today. That Russian goal to tie the game by I think Lauta where Dergachyov was in front of the net. It looks like the puck goes off of Dergachyov's skate and then a Czech player knocks it in with their stick.

Should have been Dergachyov's goal! No reviews from the IIHF

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
This is the very reason I don't believe in this ****, nor the Olympics. If you are under contract to a pro team, you shouldn't be playing elsewhere.

I don't really understand the appeal. I used to love the Olympics when it had all amateurs. I didn't a flying **** if other countries used pros. But if you are playing for a professional team, you shouldn't be playing elsewhere. Anywhere.

Ron brings it everyday
Yes but Ron is a little short sided here.

This is the case in pretty much every sport. These athletes should be able to compete for their country. We are talking about sport here.

In European football you hear this discussion every time. Even more now, because these ******** are getting paid way too much.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Maybe.

My 'take' doesn't depend on if a guy is hurt or not. You can send a kid to juniors and to the farm and he can get hurt like that there too, I'm not going to suddenly think sending Kempe to the farm is a stupid idea if Brian McGrattan hits him like that. And as Brad Doty said, there's a greater chance of that type of hit happening in the AHL with some 235 lbs. plug than at what amounts to a quasi-all-star tournament.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
RE: Russia game, Dergachev is a friggin bus. He needs more playing time vs. adults like pronto. If he can translate his game even somewhat to the pros vs. what he's doing to his peers right now he may be an absolute steal. You just cannot take the puck from him, he's a tank. I liked him already and I was worried about his development, and maybe it's just because I got to see an entire game, but my lord I just keep getting higher on him. He was making so many plays out of puck protection--a lot of guys you see sort of hang onto the puck until they just run out of road--he can 1. create extra road and 2. though his vision could use a little bit of work as he gets battle-focused his possession is very purposeful.

The only way to get the puck from Dergachyov when he is protecting it at the boards is to hit him from behind with a crowbar (not 100% sure it will work though, but I don't have any other idea). :D

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Maybe.

For what it's worth, my take doesn't change if anybody gets badly injured.

It's a contact sport, and if we're afraid of players getting hurt because hockey happens, then the only solution is to hope they develop technology for players to reach their potential through osmosis.

There is never any way to reconcile a good player getting badly injured, regardless of the league or tournament or circumstance.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Really impressed with Cernak! Big, strong kid that can skate. Very physical in front of the net and very good with his stick. Makes a good first pass. Needs to work on his positioning more, not leave the zone before the puck, and be stronger on the boards. But overall great game for him.

If he develops properly, he might be better than Voynov and Muzzin. The kid is gonna be a stud!

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Really impressed with Cernak! Big, strong kid that can skate. Very physical in front of the net and very good with his stick. Makes a good first pass. Needs to work on his positioning more, not leave the zone before the puck, and be stronger on the boards. But overall great game for him.

If he develops properly, he might be better than Voynov and Muzzin. The kid is gonna be a stud!

He's definitely got the tools, our development team just needs to help him organize the toolbox. It is very encouraging to see him show so strongly vs. his peers though. Had a very strong game, does remind me a lot of the raw version of Muzzin, but maybe beefier.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The only way to get the puck from Dergachyov when he is protecting it at the boards is to hit him from behind with a crowbar (not 100% sure it will work though, but I don't have any other idea). :D

:laugh:

reminds me of his battle with Nurse (@ 3:59 and for like a minute).

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015

Thanks, I was not able to see the game...but Cernak was a team high, plus 3. 2 shots. No pts. So he was on the ice for 3 of the 4 goals, or all 4, depending if he was on
ice for 1 of Belarus'.

Keith Sweaty

Apr 13, 2015
This is the very reason I don't believe in this ****, nor the Olympics. If you are under contract to a pro team, you shouldn't be playing elsewhere.

I don't really understand the appeal. I used to love the Olympics when it had all amateurs. I didn't a flying **** if other countries used pros. But if you are playing for a professional team, you shouldn't be playing elsewhere. Anywhere.

Ok cool

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Ron is right, that bull **** tournament that S. Fedorov just spoke out against is just ripe for someone like Kopitar to get injured at. If he goes down for a significant period of time, that's pretty much our whole season, and our championship window is closing fast so. We can't afford a situation like that.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Ron is right, that bull **** tournament that S. Fedorov just spoke out against is just ripe for someone like Kopitar to get injured at. If he goes down for a significant period of time, that's pretty much our whole season, and our championship window is closing fast so. We can't afford a situation like that.

That's the World Cup of Hockey, not to be confused with this WJC.

THAT I agree with, World Cup is a cash grab.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
The World Cup of Hockey is also after the season, so even an injury is unlikely to impact the Kings season unless it was a major injury like a torn ACL or something major.

It is also optional for players to participate, but I think under the terms of the CBA, teams can't block a player from participating unless there was a medical or other situation already existing.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
That's the World Cup of Hockey, not to be confused with this WJC.

THAT I agree with, World Cup is a cash grab.

Yea, I'm speaking out against the World Cup, not WJC. World Juniors are a good tradition and can help younger players grow. World Cup is garbage.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
The US team just looks so flat offensively. And that is why so many were critical with the team selection, lot of talent left off like Kyle Connor.

And as hyped as Matthews is, he is no Jack Eichel.

100% agree Matthews is a bit overrated. He's definitely not as good as Eichel. Eichels has his struggles this season but he's still a beast.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Just end finished watching USA/Sweden game...Kempe looked mostly invisible. And I was trying to watch him all the time. He was physical after the whistle a couple of times. Had one good offensive shift where he took the puck on the side wall with speed and went all the way around the net to the bule line and into the slot for a shot but missed wide. But other than that he wasn't heard from much...maybe had a couple shots go wide. Really disappointed with his play in that game. Especially with W. Nylander out of the game. He should be dominating guys and he just isn't. I don't think this tournament is helping him develop, just giving him bad habits that he'll have to work out back in the AHL.

On the home front...USA looked good with a Kings like grinding game. They just couldn't score on the goalie (they were like 0-8 on the PP). Need to find some offense to win the tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad