Prospect Info: World Junior Summer Showcase [July 29-Aug 5]

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Josh Anderson was picked 71st overall. While it wouldn't be great to miss early third round picks, every team in the league does.

3rd round picks aren't supposed to have an NHL career. When they do it's a bonus.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Well, Roy on Anderson makes a lot of sense to me. But it is hearsay and it always will be.

I don't see how it makes a lick of sense... first being Roy was coaching all season and couldn't scout Anderson extensively (he could have seen some tape, but I have my doubts it happened until well after the season, if at all). Second, Anderson being a WHL kid means he is way outside Roy's wheelhouse for having any background information on him. Third, Roy was already tuned out of the 2016 draft and the results of which helped push him to quit. I think people see big, physical, stay at home defensemen and equate that to Roy more than anything else.

I think Anderson gets a bad wrap quite honestly. He is a good skater, physical, great defensively... he even has a hard shot (not accurate yet). His puck movement is average, but I don't see it being bad or anything. He doesn't wow people there, but he doesn't make a ton of mistakes either. People have rated Boikov higher and think he has some upside over Anderson (and I don't blame them... I think they are similar in upside)... Boikov is two and a half years older than Anderson. Boikov's offense growth (which wasn't much) came in his 18 and 19 year old seasons, and was a direct result of PP time. Anderson isn't getting that luxury. He might get some next year, and he might put up 5 goals and 15-20 assists if he gets a regular shift there. It wouldn't be translatable offense, but I fail to see how it is different than Boikov's numbers. I personally like the tools a bit better on Anderson, but they are not significantly ahead.

Last edited:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
It could be Foote with Anderson being from WHL and Foote watching a lot of those games due to his sons.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think the perception is just that there were better options available over Anderson at the time. I tend to agree, although I don't hate the pick as much as some do. It's too early to write him off until I see him play pro at least.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Cale really impressed and has everyone (not just Avs fans) excited about his future.

Conor showed some flashes of what makes him good but his skating, which is one thing many questioned about his game pre-draft, also stood out in a big way. Hopefully he works hard to improve that over the next few years.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think the perception is just that there were better options available over Anderson at the time. I tend to agree, although I don't hate the pick as much as some do. It's too early to write him off until I see him play pro at least.

I do feel bad for the guy because it's just who he is and there's no reason to feel like he doesn't work hard and play hard, so it's not his fault. But when the org is still living through the way can't Duncan Siemens get a shot and has a good stable of bottom pairing defensive types and also make him the only defenseman taken in a draft in the first 150 picks, the logic really comes into question. I don't hate him either and expect him to play pro too but it's tough to see a NHL path here.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's a weird pick for sure, especially how the club seemingly sours quickly on tough-guy defensive prospects. Did they even give Johnny Boychuk a chance? Obviously in hindsight that was a bad, bad move on their part.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs should only draft players with mono in their draft year, because they obviously are much better than their draft position because they dropped because of the mono.

The logic is bullet proof.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Lilj fell further than he should, but IMO he was 3rd or 4th best defenseman available on draft day. Still a nice grab in that range and there are several reaches in the picks ahead, but nothing to be blown away by. He is what he is, a top defensive prospect from a weak draft. Good player, wish him the best, and I even think top pair is a reasonable upside. But we're not talking franchise changer there.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It's a weird pick for sure, especially how the club seemingly sours quickly on tough-guy defensive prospects. Did they even give Johnny Boychuk a chance? Obviously in hindsight that was a bad, bad move on their part.

Boychuk played games on the 4th line lol the guy got nest to no chance. Great coaching haha. We gave him away for a few years of Hendricks wasn't it? Just horrible.

DarioinDenver

Jun 19, 2002
Denver, CO
Visit site
I don't see how it makes a lick of sense... first being Roy was coaching all season and couldn't scout Anderson extensively (he could have seen some tape, but I have my doubts it happened until well after the season, if at all). Second, Anderson being a WHL kid means he is way outside Roy's wheelhouse for having any background information on him. Third, Roy was already tuned out of the 2016 draft and the results of which helped push him to quit. I think people see big, physical, stay at home defensemen and equate that to Roy more than anything else.

I think Anderson gets a bad wrap quite honestly. He is a good skater, physical, great defensively... he even has a hard shot (not accurate yet). His puck movement is average, but I don't see it being bad or anything. He doesn't wow people there, but he doesn't make a ton of mistakes either. People have rated Boikov higher and think he has some upside over Anderson (and I don't blame them... I think they are similar in upside)... Boikov is two and a half years older than Anderson. Boikov's offense growth (which wasn't much) came in his 18 and 19 year old seasons, and was a direct result of PP time. Anderson isn't getting that luxury. He might get some next year, and he might put up 5 goals and 15-20 assists if he gets a regular shift there. It wouldn't be translatable offense, but I fail to see how it is different than Boikov's numbers. I personally like the tools a bit better on Anderson, but they are not significantly ahead.

Because Roy is/was a bit of a size guy and he had some reported issues with the Jost pick and Anderson was completely out of character for most Hepple drafts. I'm not disputing him as a viable draft pick, especially because of the major back issues he dealt with. Roy loved Martinsen and Holden. He just likes that kind of player. That's why I think it was a Roy kind of pick. Of course Roy didn't scout the kid but there's belief he could have influenced the board based on scouting profiles in house. That's what a lot of GMs do. Anyway, I can't prove it. No one can. No one can disprove it either. Josh is here and I hope he exceeds all expectations and becomes a viable NHL option one day. 3rd round picks are at like 8% success rate in the NHL so risks like he and Wood are understandable.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Because Roy is/was a bit of a size guy and he had some reported issues with the Jost pick and Anderson was completely out of character for most Hepple drafts. I'm not disputing him as a viable draft pick, especially because of the major back issues he dealt with. Roy loved Martinsen and Holden. He just likes that kind of player. That's why I think it was a Roy kind of pick. Of course Roy didn't scout the kid but there's belief he could have influenced the board based on scouting profiles in house. That's what a lot of GMs do. Anyway, I can't prove it. No one can. No one can disprove it either. Josh is here and I hope he exceeds all expectations and becomes a viable NHL option one day. 3rd round picks are at like 8% success rate in the NHL so risks like he and Wood are understandable.

Roy liked size, but it wasn't his only factor. I think you are labeling Hepple a bit too quickly based off last year's draft alone. Hepple has been at the helm for 3 drafts, and during those times he has selected Mironov, Boikov, and Anderson who fit the bigger, physical stay at home types. Timmins, Clurman, and Meloche who fit the 2 way variety (all who have decent size or better). Then only Makar and Leivermann who fit on the smaller side.

DarioinDenver

Jun 19, 2002
Denver, CO
Visit site
Roy liked size, but it wasn't his only factor. I think you are labeling Hepple a bit too quickly based off last year's draft alone. Hepple has been at the helm for 3 drafts, and during those times he has selected Mironov, Boikov, and Anderson who fit the bigger, physical stay at home types. Timmins, Clurman, and Meloche who fit the 2 way variety (all who have decent size or better). Then only Makar and Leivermann who fit on the smaller side.

I don't believe I am. But that's ok, we can disagree. Neither of us knows who was responsible for that pick (but I bet I could). I just don't really care that much to be honest. It's not that big of a deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad