Prospect Info: World Junior Summer Showcase [July 29-Aug 5]

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I swear that Anderson pick was a half hearted attempt to placate Roy after they refused to pick the D he wanted at 10. "See, a big, mean, minimally skilled defenseman, just like how they used to be in the 90's. There ya go"

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
guys who knew each other were all talking a laughing. Then there was Makar at the end of the bench frustrated.

He knows what people think about him coming from the AJHL. One because journalists are constantly telling him and two because these kids have cell phones and computers too, they read forums, twitter...etc.

IMO he felt a bit of extra pressure because of the AJHL thing and had to prove his worth more than the average CHLer. All that stuff will go away quite fast and soon enough people won't even remember where he comes from.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
He knows what people think about him coming from the AJHL. One because journalists are constantly telling him and two because these kids have cell phones and computers too, they read forums, twitter...etc.

IMO he felt a bit of extra pressure because of the AJHL thing and had to prove his worth more than the average CHLer. All that stuff will go away quite fast and soon enough people won't even remember where he comes from.

Yeah he had a lot to prove, and he acquitted himself admirably. I'd say he even jumped a few players by the end of the week.

Edit : I seen someone say that radio people were saying Makar got minutes because they wanted to see what he had. That is complete BS honestly. He didn't get very much ice early. They played him more gradually throughout the week because he earned it, not because they wanted to see him. He missed shifts and was held off plenty for more experienced players all week. Sometimes at the detriment to the team.

Honestly they should have played him more Saturday. How that coaching staff managed their defense was the reason they lost the game IMO.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I, for one, am encouraged that he played a safer, less risky game in this showcase. I've made it pretty clear that I don't think much of flashy, high-event defensemen who are less effective without the puck. If he's going to turn into a high end two-way D whose offense comes from being opportunistic and picking his spots, then all the better.

"Dynamic" defensemen are almost all risky and have trouble playing against top competition. Give me an OEL type any day of the week.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
On a side note...how did everyone else miss out on Sam Steel?

I'll pat myself on the back and say I had Steel in my draft guide that year at least.

Not taking Joey Anderson doesn't bother me as much as not taking one of Allard, Day, Mahura or Green and hell even Hall for a defensive D.

I swear that Anderson pick was a half hearted attempt to placate Roy after they refused to pick the D he wanted at 10. "See, a big, mean, minimally skilled defenseman, just like how they used to be in the 90's. There ya go"

I'm blaming it on Brad Smith until proven otherwise. "Hepple got the first one, the stats boys got the second one, my turn now!"

I agree with you that Makar needed to show more aggression early in the tournament, but you are not giving him credit for the improvements he made over the week. The Saturday game was a much more confident player. I sat right behind him on Tuesday, and you could see how frustrated he was every time he came off the ice. It was a pretty casual game, and most of the guys who knew each other were all talking a laughing. Then there was Makar at the end of the bench frustrated.

Again that started to change as the week went on. My comments about that aspect of him acclimating to the level of play, and being an outsider at first are for a reason. You can't dismiss it.

That's interesting, thanks for sharing. It makes sense, he wouldn't know many of the others there. Some of those guys have played on a bunch of national teams together before. Would have helped if Jost had been playing to have that familiar face. But he got more assimilated into the group by the end of the week? I know he's been described as a pretty competitive guy too.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'll pat myself on the back and say I had Steel in my draft guide that year at least.

Not taking Joey Anderson doesn't bother me as much as not taking one of Allard, Day, Mahura or Green and hell even Hall for a defensive D.

I'm blaming it on Brad Smith until proven otherwise. "Hepple got the first one, the stats boys got the second one, my turn now!"

That's interesting, thanks for sharing. It makes sense, he wouldn't know many of the others there. Some of those guys have played on a bunch of national teams together before. Would have helped if Jost had been playing to have that familiar face. But he got more assimilated into the group by the end of the week? I know he's been described as a pretty competitive guy too.

Saturday he seemed much more light hearted, confident, and was joking and smiling with the guys sitting around him. I think the growing confidence showed in his play both Friday and Saturday as well. It's hard to tell with them changing the parings, and not listing the TOI, but it felt like he was the #3 on Saturday, and was the clear cut #1 for the power play, as he was on the first unit. The power play was clearly running through him as well. I liked that he also got some time on the PK too.

I don't really think there is any chance he does not make the team, unless he stinks it up from now until the WJC.

DarioinDenver

Jun 19, 2002
Denver, CO
Visit site

Not sure if that was Brad Smith. I know it might seem like he'd pick a guy that mirrored his own game but during the behind the scenes draft video stuff in the Jost draft he was a big proponent of that kid.

DarioinDenver

Jun 19, 2002
Denver, CO
Visit site
Saturday he seemed much more light hearted, confident, and was joking and smiling with the guys sitting around him. I think the growing confidence showed in his play both Friday and Saturday as well. It's hard to tell with them changing the parings, and not listing the TOI, but it felt like he was the #3 on Saturday, and was the clear cut #1 for the power play, as he was on the first unit. The power play was clearly running through him as well. I liked that he also got some time on the PK too.

I don't really think there is any chance he does not make the team, unless he stinks it up from now until the WJC.

Were you sitting behind him when he went to the bench after the offside's call at the end of the game? The play where he kept it in the zone with a glove at the blue line and they whistled it dead? He looked PISSED and he looked primed to fly in to the zone and try to tie the thing up. I like that part of his game. For the contrarians, that wasn't anything like Barrie.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

This makes no sense... Smitty is a pro scout, and his main role is scouting other team's professional prospects. Not only that, when Smith was an amatuer scout (back with Edmonton and first couple years with the Avs), he was an OHL guy. I know you want to blame the old guard, but Smitty is not the one to blame here.

AvInNebr

Jul 10, 2013
Nebraska
Wasn't it great to watch some hockey in August?!

I was really looking forward to seeing Makar against some non-AJHL talent and he really played well. I look forward to following his progress in college this year.

Timmins I think was harder to judge. He was certainly on the ice for plenty of goals against, and he had some rough moments, but he was also left out to dry a number of times. I don't think the showcase was a good chance to really see what he is made of...

...and I was left again wishing we would have found a way (maybe using #32) to have moved into the mid-1st round to have picked up Foote. Perhaps I was watching him a bit more than I thought I was but he always seemed to be on the ice and involved in the play and was very good. It would have been a great story to have found a way to draft him but more importantly he would have been another VERY solid prospect added to our defensive prospect pool.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
This makes no sense... Smitty is a pro scout, and his main role is scouting other team's professional prospects. Not only that, when Smith was an amatuer scout (back with Edmonton and first couple years with the Avs), he was an OHL guy. I know you want to blame the old guard, but Smitty is not the one to blame here.

It's mostly a joke, who knows what went on in that discussion. But in the scouting vids, he sits in just like he's an amatuer scout.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It's mostly a joke, who knows what went on in that discussion. But in the scouting vids, he sits in just like he's an amatuer scout.

It is pretty common that pro scouts sit in those meetings and voice their opinion on players, but they are not the ones making the decisions or putting in the leg work on these kids. You claim it as mostly a joke, but you have been pretty hard on the old guard for years and have placed blame on some of them consistently for things you don't agree with (even if it isn't their call). I do think Smith deserves scorn for some things, but Anderson is not his cross. I have a real good idea who pounded the table for Anderson, and it wasn't Smitty.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It is pretty common that pro scouts sit in those meetings and voice their opinion on players, but they are not the ones making the decisions or putting in the leg work on these kids. You claim it as mostly a joke, but you have been pretty hard on the old guard for years and have placed blame on some of them consistently for things you don't agree with (even if it isn't their call). I do think Smith deserves scorn for some things, but Anderson is not his cross. I have a real good idea who pounded the table for Anderson, and it wasn't Smitty.

Who was it then? Because you know Roy is the one most of the fanbase blames.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Who was it then? Because you know Roy is the one most of the fanbase blames.

Roy is to blame on Anderson?! That makes even less sense. :laugh:

These things are hearsay, and we don't need the pitchforks out more than they already are. Especially when Anderson is still developing (FTR I don't like the pick, but I do believe Anderson gets a bit of unnecessary hate).

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012

These things are hearsay, and we don't need the pitchforks out more than they already are. Especially when Anderson is still developing (FTR I don't like the pick, but I do believe Anderson gets a bit of unnecessary hate).

Must be Billington or MacFarland then.

Also, this blurb in MacFarland's bio makes me laugh:
"MacFarland joined Columbus prior to the 1999-00 NHL campaign and served as the club's manager of hockey operations from 2001-07 before being promoted to assistant to the general manager in July 2007. He moved to the position of assistant general manager a year later in July 2008."

He was actually given Dwight's title :laugh:

DarioinDenver

Jun 19, 2002
Denver, CO
Visit site

Well, Roy on Anderson makes a lot of sense to me. But it is hearsay and it always will be.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Josh Anderson was picked 71st overall. While it wouldn't be great to miss early third round picks, every team in the league does.

Of course drafting a defender with very limited offense in junior hockey usually means the ability to move the puck well enough to be a NHLer isn't there but I haven't watched the player enough to tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad