GDT: World Junior Discussion

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Meh, we had a good run of winning gold. The games themselves haven't been so bad.

2010 was fun to watch. Heartbreaking finish.

2011 was rather...interesting (?) to watch. It was a spectacular collapse, but full credit to the Russians.

2012, again, was interesting to watch. Thought Canada would pull off the improbable comeback after being down 6-1. They fought to the bitter end.

2013...what the hell was that?

Coaching, lack of elite defense and shoddy goaltending continue to plague Hockey Canada.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Really poor coaching and player management by Hockey Canada once again ... they need to find someone who can actually run this thing effectively.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Just awful all around.

Canada still can't get quality goaltending. Meanwhile every other finalist team gets dominant performances from their goaltenders. Subban just didn't make the big saves when he needed to.

Murphy was a pylon. Such a bad pick over Corrado and Sproul. You don't play favorites when it comes to picking these tournaments and it cost them big time. Why the hell was MacKinnon being forced into a checking role as an offensive 17 year old? What a blunder.

Four years without gold. Round and round we go.

arsmaster*

Just awful all around.

Canada still can't get quality goaltending. Meanwhile every other finalist team gets dominant performances from their goaltenders. Subban just didn't make the big saves when he needed to.

Murphy was a pylon. Such a bad pick over Corrado and Sproul. You don't play favorites when it comes to picking these tournaments and it cost them big time. Why the hell was MacKinnon being forced into a checking role as an offensive 17 year old? What a blunder.

That is unfair to Subban.

Which goals should be have saved today?

Definitely not the first two. Maybe the 4th?

Shinkaruk and Monahan likely would have been better selections than Lipon and Camara as well.

I don't like that the camp was useless. The players who performed at that camp weren't selected.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Another dissapointing effort for Team Canada playing when it counts, doesn't matter much if we can win every round-robin game for the past 8 years and yet we're 50/50 in the last 4 years when it comes to knockout/medal games.

KidCanuck*

Just awful all around.

Agree with most of this but goaltending was the least of our problems. Personally I would have taken Dumba over Murphy and had moved up one of our other D into a more offensive role. Bang on about MacKinnon though, just a terrible selection in that role and not good enough to be a top 6 with some of other other quality centers we had. Strome sure was snake bitten today. Gibson did stand on his head though. Should be a good final. I can't see the States losing, their team game is where it needs to be. I saw a lot of individual efforts from the Sweden Russia game today, everyone trying to go one on one or trying to beat the goalie with a wrist shots if they couldn't beat their man one on one. USA moves the puck within their system with purpose and their solid D core and superior goaltending to go along with their pesky quick forwards make a recipe for gold in my opinion.

BeardedCanuck

Oct 13, 2012
That is unfair to Subban.

Which goals should be have saved today?

Definitely not the first two. Maybe the 4th?

Shinkaruk and Monahan likely would have been better selections than Lipon and Camara as well.

I don't like that the camp was useless. The players who performed at that camp weren't selected.

First goal was his fault, he should have covered up on the first shot, that's been his huge problem this whole tournament he has had horriable rebound control. Iit's night and day watching Subban and Binnington, Subban is so stationary in net, at least IMO he always seems to be barely making the saves instead of moving in the net and tracking the puck lie you see Binnington do. Also you can hear Binnington directing traffic, Subban I never heard directing traffic. The game isn't all on Subban but I think that Binnington gives this team a much better chance at winning.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Another dissapointing effort for Team Canada playing when it counts, doesn't matter much if we can win every round-robin game for the past 8 years and yet we're 50/50 in the last 4 years when it comes to knockout/medal games.

Doesn't that sound strangely familiar? Does Team Canada get to raise a banner for top round-robin team? :sarcasm:

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Not to add any more fuel to the "Corrado should have made the team" camp, but how the hell was Reinhart a top 5 pick? He was all over the place and took one of the dumbest penalties I've seen in my life. If the American player stayed down (and kudos to him for not milking it) that would have been a major and a game misconduct.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Not to add any more fuel to the "Corrado should have made the team" camp, but how the hell was Reinhart a top 5 pick? He was all over the place and took one of the dumbest penalties I've seen in my life. If the American player stayed down (and kudos to him for not milking it) that would have been a major and a game misconduct.

Wasn't Reinhart the one who hadn't had a minor penalty all year or something? Sure went out the window in this tournament...

He and Hamilton were huge disappointments on D. Guys who are supposed to lead the way from the back end and they flopped rather spectacularly. Harrington was pretty much the only guy who played as advertised - solid defensively, but he's not going to provide much (anything) in the way of offense. He, Ouellet and Reilly were pretty decent.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Rielly was not nearly as good as Leafs fans made him out to be. I was expecting the second coming of Brian Leech. Instead, I got the second coming of Bryan Berard.

I actually thought Rielly looked pretty good. I was left shaking my head many times wondering why Ryan Murphy kept getting all the plum PP minutes - Rielly looked more dangerous offensively, and at the worst, was equally as bad as Murphy at all other aspects of the game.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I actually thought Rielly looked pretty good. I was left shaking my head many times wondering why Ryan Murphy kept getting all the plum PP minutes - Rielly looked more dangerous offensively, and at the worst, was equally as bad as Murphy at all other aspects of the game.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the two defensemen. Rielly's forte' is offense; would be like if Ehrhoff was still a Canuck and only getting 2nd unit PP duty. Not like Murphy was doing *anything* on the PP.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Wasn't Reinhart the one who hadn't had a minor penalty all year or something? Sure went out the window in this tournament...

He and Hamilton were huge disappointments on D. Guys who are supposed to lead the way from the back end and they flopped rather spectacularly. Harrington was pretty much the only guy who played as advertised - solid defensively, but he's not going to provide much (anything) in the way of offense. He, Ouellet and Reilly were pretty decent.

I had a feeling Reinhart would struggle on the big ice. Hamilton was dissapointing, and so was Rielly (expected more offensively from him). I didn't expect much from Murphy though. I liked Ouellet and Harrington during the tournament.

got "removed from the conversation" in the PGT of the Game on the main boards. Just ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Basso

Dec 11, 2008
USA has really improved in hockey in the last decade or so. Very impressive last 3 games by them. I thought we would have a close game but 5-1 is harsh.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
We got out coached big time imo. Phil Housley got his D involved in the attack and on the forecheck and we didn't have an answer. I hate the style of game they play in junior hockey, we need someone that can coach a possession game on the big ice. We definitely had enough talent to play that style.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'd be lying if I said I was shocked. The defense was atrocious.

Wotherspoon, Reinhart were terrible.

Murphy and Hamilton werent garbage. They're the **** you incinerate.

Would like to have seen some regular minutes for Reilly.

Thought Ouellet was ok as well.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Rielly was not nearly as good as Leafs fans made him out to be. I was expecting the second coming of Brian Leech. Instead, I got the second coming of Bryan Berard.

Bryan Berard was awesome before his eye injury. Guy was half-blind after it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
So I never really caught any followup, but what exactly was the call on Canada's goal which was totally a goal but then it probably shouldn't have been a goal but then amazingly they did the right/wrong thing and called it a goal?

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
The TSN boys were right on this one, blame to go around, but imo it all starts on D. A puck control game starts from solid breakouts, and good passes, and when someone says where was the Nuge, you go, no one was getting him the puck.

I question any coach that feed the number of minutes Murphy got, his decision making is terrible. You can really notice it with the rush, when 9 times out of ten he takes a terrible shot on goal from a weak angle. Contrast that with Rielly, who would at least take those shots from the middle of the ice.

In our own zone, again, I thought things started with the D, not making the smart choices, and then forcing others to run around. The first goal is a great example of this, when four Canadians decide they can play goal better than Subban.

tough to blame Subban, I would have pulled him after the third goal, but the game was not his fault, and hindsight is 20/20 when it would have been smarted to go with binnington. I will say I don't like they way we have been teaching our goalies, you see the huge difference in styles between the two guys, and they play towards their strengths, but also missing the simple things. Play the angles direct/control rebounds.

Having said all of that, full marks to the US, they played great, and so did Gibson, who was the Game MVP.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Dear Steve Spott,

I told you so.

Love,
PRNuck

P.S. Lol.

You totally can trace it back, as many have said, it started at selection camp, and I am sure it doesn't help force feeding your son er Murphy minutes he doesn't deserve. I said it from the get go, on the big ice, you need the best skaters. size means a lot less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad