GDT: World Junior Discussion

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
With exhibition games beginning earlier this morning, I thought it would be good for us to have a place to discuss the tournament.

I watched the first two periods this morning - pretty lacklustre effort. Not much to write home about, really; Nugent-Hopkins and Scheifle had some flashes together, particularly with the man advantage, and I liked Drouin and MacKinnon's hustle and talent, but other than that, a very forgettable outting.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
The title should be: "HF Canucks' Posters Criticize Canadian Blue Line"

Ball4Lyfe

Jun 18, 2010
Not impressed by anyone in particular, even RNH showed some undisciplined play. We really need to get used to the international style of reffing real quick. Hopefully (Byron) Ritchie isn't injured, or else we'll have to call up Brad Invisibister.

StringerBell

The title should be: "HF Canucks' Posters Criticize Canadian Blue Line"

Well, it wouldn't exactly been unwarranted. I was particularly unimpressed with Wotherspoon. H was constantly chasing the play in his own zone, had trouble clearing the puck, and partially screened Subban on Finland's last two goals without even trying to block the shot.

Just don't bring it up on the main boards :shakehead

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
We're all going to work together to create a hi-light package of every single mistake the CDN D-men make and post on the main boards. Mega Troll.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
Well, it wouldn't exactly been unwarranted. I was particularly unimpressed with Wotherspoon. H was constantly chasing the play in his own zone, had trouble clearing the puck, and partially screened Subban on Finland's last two goals without even trying to block the shot.

Just don't bring it up on the main boards :shakehead

yeah don't do this, you'll just come off as biased canucks fans which you guys definitely aren't

Last edited by a moderator:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
6 posts in and Corrado hasn't even been mentioned yet? I am surprised. :sarcasm:

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Hockey Canada did a decent job with the player selection, but once again they brought in junior coaches. These guys are consistently in over their heads at this event. The interviews I've seen with Spott give off a "just happy to be here" vibe that is not encouraging.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Hockey Canada did a decent job with the player selection, but once again they brought in junior coaches. These guys are consistently in over their heads at this event. The interviews I've seen with Spott give off a "just happy to be here" vibe that is not encouraging.

Brent Sutter was pretty good in '05. Didn't hurt that he was extremely out of place coaching juniors and had an excellent team to boot.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC

It has been a while since a head coach has really taken control of the team since Pat Quinn in 2009, kinda ironic that 2009 was the last time we've won gold. And with the lockout, you would think Hockey Canada could find a decent NHL head coach like Dan Bylsma or something.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
It has been a while since a head coach has really taken control of the team since Pat Quinn in 2009, kinda ironic that 2009 was the last time we've won gold. And with the lockout, you would think Hockey Canada could find a decent NHL head coach like Dan Bylsma or something.

Coaches are still employed and likely do other things, no? I doubt the Penguins would pay Bylsma so he can go coach junior.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Coaches are still employed and likely do other things, no? I doubt the Penguins would pay Bylsma so he can go coach junior.

What could Dan Bylsma possibly be doing right now during the lockout? All games are cancelled through the 14th, AV is living with his parents for crying out loud. You'd think there would be someone out there who would want to coach the national team.

arsmaster*

The only Canadian defensman who I'd say played well today was Reinhart.

Hamilton forces plays that arent there (don't like Rielly and him together...doesn't work for me).

Ouelette I'll give a pass for rust, but he looked pretty weak out there, couldn't make a breakout pass to save his life.

Ryan Murphy, I would hate to play with. You can never tell what's going on in his head. It's exciting and hard to defend, but in a team system/dynamic it would be hard to adjust.

The pairs I'd like to see are:
Harrington-Hamilton
Reinhart-Rielly (guys who can skate like Morgan should have little issue playing the off side on big ice)

The last 3 just mix and match until something works.

I found JC Lipon the most diverse forward today. He seemed to slot into every line seamlessly. I liked his game a lot.

Not overly impressed with Strome and I wouldn't be surprised if Mackinnon steals that #2c spot by the medal round. Also think Strome would make a better winger than mackinnon so far.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver

LOL, Dan Bylsma is a yank.

KevinBXA

Professional Caveman
Nov 4, 2010
The Roxy
Is anyone aware of bars or pubs showing the games? I figure someone must be showing at least Canada and the medal rounds

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
I hope Canada loses. I'm a Canucks fan first. Team Canada second..... And I hope Wortherspoon and Reinhart have a tough time adjusting to the big ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->