GDT: World Junior Discussion

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
You totally can trace it back, as many have said, it started at selection camp, and I am sure it doesn't help force feeding your son er Murphy minutes he doesn't deserve. I said it from the get go, on the big ice, you need the best skaters. size means a lot less.

yup. all the question and concern regarding the selection camp came in fruition.

1. Selection of Murphy over Corrado, Ceci, Sproul
2. Minute time of Murphy
3. Selection of Subban as starter over Binnington
4. Not playing MacKinnon enough or with Drioun

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
yup. all the question and concern regarding the selection camp came in fruition.

1. Selection of Murphy over Corrado, Ceci, Sproul
2. Minute time of Murphy
3. Selection of Subban as starter over Binnington
4. Not playing MacKinnon enough or with Drioun

This one also really bugged me, i thought our Olympic team showed why it is so important to keep pairs, as that was a huge part of their selection, and to keep them together. Why not learn from it?

GhostofRichardPark

Jun 19, 2011
Victoria
For someone who was brought in to QB the powerplay Murphy looked atrocious. Outlet passes were complete trash and he wasn't nearly as much as an offensive force as they made him out to be. 5 on 5 he was worse than on the powerplay if that's even possible. He got walked with that toe drag and was caught up ice so many times. Rant complete.

Can't fault Subban on those first two goals. The whole team was in front of the net on the first one and on the second Reilly looked like the second coming of Todd Bertuzzi parked in front with the screen. Dismal effort on everyone's part.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
markhmasters:

4 games for high-sticking?!

Maybe because the game was basically out of reach when the penalty occurred. Then again, we've seen some pretty wacky officiating decisions coming out of this tournament so who knows? The IIHF has been making itself look quite bush league.

At this point I'm over it. They are playing Russia on their home soil for bronze. They didn't go over there to get bronze, and I don't think Canada comes home with it. It turns out that we should have paid more attention to the Spengler than this.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
markhmasters:

4 games for high-sticking?!
lol meanwhile a flagrant hit from behind nets you a *ONE GAME SUSPENSION* (re: Russian hit on Canadian player). Guess we know which country has more stroke at the moment....

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Say what? Iihf ruled it intentional, given it was ruled intentional 4 games is lucky given the Iihf take player safety more seriously than NA leagues.

[Yt]BfGnMxuBo3E[/MEDIA]

What exactly is Reinhart doing? He's not swinging at the puck. If Brad Marchant did that to Henrik or Daniel I'd want him to get dealt with.

Last edited:

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Say what? Iihf ruled it intentional, given it was ruled intentional 4 games is lucky given the Iihf take player safety more seriously than NA leagues.

[Yt]BfGnMxuBo3E[/MEDIA]

What exactly is Reinhart doing? He's not swinging at the puck. If Brad Marchant did that to Henrik or Daniel I'd want him to get dealt with.

Compare that to the hit from behind and tell me that one violation was worth one game while the other is worth four games. I *never* said Reinhart should've gotten nothing.

Even the ref called the two infractions differently (Reinhart was a two minute minor - probably should've gotten a double minor while the other got five & a game).

Last edited:

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Looked like a very careless act, not sure about the degree of "maliciousness" it had, but it looks bad and when you are careless and it looks bad you run the risk of being made an example of, 4 games is stiff if it was purely an accident but I'm not convinced it was. Lesson: don't swing your stick around like a moron and you won't get suspensions.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Compare that to the hit from behind and tell me that one violation was worth one game while the other is worth four games. I *never* said Reinhart should've gotten nothing.

Even the ref called the two infractions differently (Reinhart was a two minute minor - probably should've gotten a double minor while the other got five & a game).

Not really much consistency with suspensions. I think we can all agree with that. I'm just glad they did something. Probably also factored in that Canada only has 1 game to play and so they thought they'd make a statement that doesn't really mean much by calling it 4 games. Dirty play. If he's a bit more pissed off and doesn't hold back on that, we're looking at another marty/brashear incident.

edit: I ****ING LOVE GARTH SNOW.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Not really much consistency with suspensions. I think we can all agree with that. I'm just glad they did something. Probably also factored in that Canada only has 1 game to play and so they thought they'd make a statement that doesn't really mean much by calling it 4 games. Dirty play. If he's a bit more pissed off and doesn't hold back on that, we're looking at another marty/brashear incident.

edit: I ****ING LOVE GARTH SNOW.

Just wanted to say I think it is much different than the Marty/Brashear thing (but agree about Snow). First he is on his knees swinging is stick waist high, and the guy that got hit was bent down so his head was at his waist. It also looks like he is looking the other way when he swigs. It is also not a waste in the other 3 games, as I believe he is eligible next year too isn't he?

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Just wanted to say I think it is much different than the Marty/Brashear thing (but agree about Snow). First he is on his knees swinging is stick waist high, and the guy that got hit was bent down so his head was at his waist. It also looks like he is looking the other way when he swigs. It is also not a waste in the other 3 games, as I believe he is eligible next year too isn't he?

Yeah, that's true. Punished for being careless.

Those 3 games won't be elimination games though. Canada will survive.

arsmaster*

The problem for me isn't what others got 1 game for, it's that The ref of the game (the same one who is getting the gold medal game) called it 2 minutes on the ice, called it two minutes in his post game report, but somehow a two minute penalty is a 4 game suspension.

You trust a ref enough to give him the gold medal game, but you don't agree with his judgements? Seems dumb.

On the play I don't think Reinhart means to hit the guy with his stick, but more in a shrugging the player off kind of deal. Definitely deserved a game for recklessness, but 4 is crazy.

The 4 IMO is not punishing the act but the maple leaf on his jersey.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Not even 5 min in and Canada is in a massive hole. They can't even control the puck.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
hockeyfacesmack.gif

This sums it up.

Deficit cut to 1. RNH is a puck wizard.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Classy ending by the Russians taunting the Canadian players. Looking forward to seeing Yakupov get fed his teeth in the NHL.

That pissed me off as well, this team needs to be more rugged going in next year, very few players on this team had bite.

Spott is an idiot, aside from his Murphy perverted fetish, he has Mackinnon, the ultimate wild card, and he sits the guy on the bench. He is arguably the best player in the tourney not named RNH or Yakupov(yet) and all he did was sit on the pine.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
That pissed me off as well, this team needs to be more rugged going in next year, very few players on this team had bite.

Spott is an idiot, aside from his Murphy perverted fetish, he has Mackinnon, the ultimate wild card, and he sits the guy on the bench. He is arguably the best player in the tourney not named RNH or Yakupov(yet) and all he did was sit on the pine.

MacKinnon hadn't done much all tournament though...at least in the games i saw. He didn't impress me at all.

Man, I liked it better when we hated those commies. I'd be the poorest sport out there, if those chumps did taunted me there would be another "Punch up in Piestany"...and they could forget about handshakes...wouldn't happen.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
i think Mackinnon didn't play after the 3rd russian goal. not really his fault 100% that goal. Murphy is the worse player in the defenessman zone and 5 on 5 in the whole tourney. Heck he wasn't good on the PP either till today. Spott putting Murphy with Reiley on for OT?? WTF is he thinking? Heck just Murphy and Reiley together is Pejorative Slured how did he not learn this from USA game?? Spott is the worse coach ever!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad