GDT: World Junior Discussion

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
The Russian celebrations on the ice is the same class that many Canadian fans come into, and out of, with these tournaments every year.

I applaud it for one. It adds to the rivalry between the countries and a little ribbing never hurt anybody.

Basso

Dec 11, 2008
I think Canada's problem in recent years has been not having a elite goalie. Don't get me wrong we've had some good goaltending performances but nothing crazy since Carey Price.

Goalies in last 10 years:

Mark Visentin
Jake Allen
Dustin Tokarski
Steve Mason
Carey Price
Jutin Pogge
Réjean Beauchemin
Jeff Glass
Marc-André Fleury
Pascal Leclaire
Maxime Ouellet

Two bonafide stars in the mix, the recent guys still have time to develop but some real busts in there too. We need to get back to our goalie factory in Quebec pump some more of these guys out.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Meh, they don't like us and I couldn't blame them. Sore winners or not, they earned that right to be one.

Did Canada do something to them to earn their ire in the tournament? I never watched all the games but it seemed like the Russians (especially Yakupov) were pissed at Canada from the get go...never heard or saw anything cheap from any Canadian players...but like I said, I never caught all the games.

Sportsmanship is overrated anyhow.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
The Russian celebrations on the ice is the same class that many Canadian fans come into, and out of, with these tournaments every year.

I applaud it for one. It adds to the rivalry between the countries and a little ribbing never hurt anybody.

i agree with this, maybe if it were the actual men's teams doing this should it be frowned upon but stuff like this is to be expected with junior players and i don't mind it at all

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011

Totally agree. Don't want a team to celebrate a little overboard? Don't let them score.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
My hatred for Murphy grew so much over this tournament. He reminds me of Mike Green, but worse. Murphy is a good skater, but his decision making, and defensive play is beyond stupid most of the time. He looked like a tyke getting beat by an NHLer on the OT goal.

I actually said to my buddies before the tournament, that if we don't win, it's because we didn't have Corrado. I hate being right. ;)

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
My hatred for Murphy grew so much over this tournament. He reminds me of Mike Green, but worse. Murphy is a good skater, but his decision making, and defensive play is beyond stupid most of the time. He looked like a tyke getting beat by an NHLer on the OT goal.

I actually said to my buddies before the tournament, that if we don't win, it's because we didn't have Corrado. I hate being right. ;)

Meh, even without Corrado, we could have been more competitive if Spott wasn't a complete ****ing moron. seriously, how the **** do you make such stupid decisions with such a loaded team. 'Nathan is a checker!' WTF spott?! PUT HIM WITH DROUIN

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
A lot of people will now say "Drouin for #1 over MacKinnon" but the only reason Drouin outscored MacKinnon was because Drouin played on the first 2 lines while Mackinnon saw 5 minutes a game on the 4th line.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Drouin looks to be more creative and explosive offensively, which is what the team needed. MacKinnon has phenomenal strength and hockey sense/speed for his age, but was behind too many good.centers.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I don't think it was just a fluke Drouin was bumped up over MacKinnon. I don't think Drouin overtook MacKinnon for first overall, but he is going to make people second guess who to pick. He showed great flashes, and those hands of his, oh boy. He certainly helped his draft ranking, but not enough to overtake first overall. Playing decent at the WJHC isn't going to be enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad