World Junior Championships

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Yep. We've billeted Steel for 4 years. Been a great experience and my 3 boys absolutely love it! We've gotten to know many of the kids and their families very well in that time.

For their parents, it's lots of games in the stands and beers at Chelios. For the players, it's lots of my wife making tons of Costco runs to feed them and them camped out in my basement playing LOTS of Fortnite.

Ducky is a really really nice kid and will be great to see him go far. Bummer when he got hurt in the Clark Cup finals and then in RW camp. Glad he's back!

His SportsCenter hilight goal is still a thing of beauty!
nice incite. i was at the game he got hurt. they were done from there.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yep. We've billeted Steel for 4 years. Been a great experience and my 3 boys absolutely love it! We've gotten to know many of the kids and their families very well in that time.

For their parents, it's lots of games in the stands and beers at Chelios. For the players, it's lots of my wife making tons of Costco runs to feed them and them camped out in my basement playing LOTS of Fortnite.

Ducky is a really really nice kid and will be great to see him go far. Bummer when he got hurt in the Clark Cup finals and then in RW camp. Glad he's back!

His SportsCenter hilight goal is still a thing of beauty!

Good kids every time?

I know it can be rough if the player is wild. I am sure I was a terror.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Good kids every time?

I know it can be rough if the player is wild. I am sure I was a terror.
We’ve been really fortunate. We had the same kid for 2 seasons and that helped. He’s like a son to us and a brother to my boys and his parents and sister became great friends of ours.

Our house wound up being the hang out zone so we had many of the kids roll through here. All super nice and engaging. Just lots of F bombs on loud Fortnite tourneys! My 3 boys ate that up!

I’ve heard horror stories but usually from the other side. One kid billeted with a family that took in tons of rescue dogs which meant hair everywhere, crap on the floors and mangled shoes. Another had a serious stalker billet sister and another had to leave a billet home because the dad would come home in drunken rage mode and the player felt the house was unsafe.

So outside of messes and late night Uber Eats doorbells, it’s been great.

Reactions: Blue Liner

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
We’ve been really fortunate. We had the same kid for 2 seasons and that helped. He’s like a son to us and a brother to my boys and his parents and sister became great friends of ours.

Our house wound up being the hang out zone so we had many of the kids roll through here. All super nice and engaging. Just lots of F bombs on loud Fortnite tourneys! My 3 boys ate that up!

I’ve heard horror stories but usually from the other side. One kid billeted with a family that took in tons of rescue dogs which meant hair everywhere, crap on the floors and mangled shoes. Another had a serious stalker billet sister and another had to leave a billet home because the dad would come home in drunken rage mode and the player felt the house was unsafe.

So outside of messes and late night Uber Eats doorbells, it’s been great.

Nice. I had a terrible experience with my billets (frozen food, weird family, etc) to a point that I started to hate playing. 2nd and 3rd billets were awesome though.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Nice. I had a terrible experience with my billets (frozen food, weird family, etc) to a point that I started to hate playing. 2nd and 3rd billets were awesome though.

Bummer. Yep, I've heard some horror stories.

Guy I grew up with had a kid who dropped out of juniors based on a really bad billet experience. Killed his love of and commitment to the game. Bummer.

We've been really fortunate - and have gotten to know some great kids (and their families). Kinda cool when you're meeting parents of these teenage phenomenons and the parents were elite, and very well known, athletes as well.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
What are people’s thoughts on Dach?

I’m of the opinion he’s better off staying in North America and playing in the NHL.
He's a f***in' beaut. Gives a shit defensively, strong along the boards at 18, tries to dangle every defender he can, which might not help him produce much offense, but I love that the kid has the balls to at least keep trying it.

If you mean what are my thoughts on him going to the WJC, it wouldn't be bad for him to get to be possibly the 1C for Team Canada, but I'll be bummed if he goes simply because I like watching the kid play and he'll be gone for several weeks.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
I think sending Boqvist to the WJC would be a poor decision. The Hawks aren't making the playoffs, so this is the perfect time to get him used to NHL speed and teach him what works in the big leagues and what doesn't. The last thing you'd want is to send him back to play with kids. You want his bad habits winnowed out, not reintroduced.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad