World Junior Championships

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
A decision probably hasn't been made yet. At this point in time last year I doubt JC knew about Jokiharju going.

We have 7 games from the Dec. 22nd to January 7th. The tournament starts the 26th and ends the 5th. Is that reasonable that’s the only games he’d miss?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Dach has zero points and is -4 inhis last 6 games ...What goodvis keeping away from the WJHC if he is not making any impact lately?
Hawks are nuts if they do not send him...JC is an idiot for those comments of it doesn't look like he will go to the Workd Juniors..

JC simply should have said we'll see...If Dach continues to produce nada over tge next few games till Team Canada leaves forcthe Workd Juniors that that time they can loan him to the team...it will be a worse situation if KC has to back-track and says that he changed his mind or that the Hawks top brass changed their minds at the last second...that us tantamount to saying Dach has failed by not progressing as the NHL grind wirevon and that 1) he needs to regain confidence by playing at the WJHC and 2) they may decide after that whether he comes back to Chicaho or goes back to Junio for the rest of the season Fter that tournament..

My point is...JC and the Hawks should have simpkyvsaid "we'll see"...instead it is as if they have cornered themselves at least from a PR and fan expectation situation and if they now back-track it is an admission Dach is failing at 18 to be enough of a contributor to help the team get to the playoffs.. five cannot bring that help mow at hostage then he should go play with his peer age group till he is ready tobrealkybmake a real difference.

Sort of stating hebis not going to the Workd Juniors is also a bad signal to Dach that they are pleased with his no points and -4 over the last 6 games...There is NO WAY such a signal of that kind of non-performance isxacceptable.

In the case ofcToews orcF-Catcand theirbpoirbproduction,Hawks boxed in...cannot do anythingvanoutvit ..but they do have iotionswith Dach and hisvoroper development.. If Dach is starting to feel overwhelmed and ineffective this could do great damage psychologically toone so young...the messagecto him should be harsh...the prostate hard...producer you go back to your peer age group for more development.. It cannot be coddling or any sense of indicating to him that it is better to struggle with failure (and by the way on a struggling team) and doubt in the NHL than to go back ,star,and prove you are still a prospect who the club can Relybon forvsuccess ONCE FULLY READY forvthe grind ofvtough NHL completion among experienced top men NHL pros.

So if notvreadyvto realkyvstar andvorodice night after night...if he has indeed hitcthecrookievwall..Then better tobsendvhom back to play juniors or at least to the WJHC first then decide after his performance there what is the best situation forvhim and his development.

I do not like the Hawks saying it looks like he is staying and not going to the WJHC.

So we shall see..if he still is in a scoring slump by the time team Canada is ready to go to the WJHCthen Hawks probably announcevthey arevback-tracking and will loan him...that would be good.. but it does make them look silly for their prior false statement he was staying and not going...it calksvinto question if they really know what to do in developing players.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Dach has zero points and is -4 inhis last 6 games ...What goodvis keeping away from the WJHC if he is not making any impact lately?
Hawks are nuts if they do not send him...JC is an idiot for those comments of it doesn't look like he will go to the Workd Juniors..

JC simply should have said we'll see...If Dach continues to produce nada over tge next few games till Team Canada leaves forcthe Workd Juniors that that time they can loan him to the team...it will be a worse situation if KC has to back-track and says that he changed his mind or that the Hawks top brass changed their minds at the last second...that us tantamount to saying Dach has failed by not progressing as the NHL grind wirevon and that 1) he needs to regain confidence by playing at the WJHC and 2) they may decide after that whether he comes back to Chicaho or goes back to Junio for the rest of the season Fter that tournament..

My point is...JC and the Hawks should have simpkyvsaid "we'll see"...instead it is as if they have cornered themselves at least from a PR and fan expectation situation and if they now back-track it is an admission Dach is failing at 18 to be enough of a contributor to help the team get to the playoffs.. five cannot bring that help mow at hostage then he should go play with his peer age group till he is ready tobrealkybmake a real difference.

Sort of stating hebis not going to the Workd Juniors is also a bad signal to Dach that they are pleased with his no points and -4 over the last 6 games...There is NO WAY such a signal of that kind of non-performance isxacceptable.

In the case ofcToews orcF-Catcand theirbpoirbproduction,Hawks boxed in...cannot do anythingvanoutvit ..but they do have iotionswith Dach and hisvoroper development.. If Dach is starting to feel overwhelmed and ineffective this could do great damage psychologically toone so young...the messagecto him should be harsh...the prostate hard...producer you go back to your peer age group for more development.. It cannot be coddling or any sense of indicating to him that it is better to struggle with failure (and by the way on a struggling team) and doubt in the NHL than to go back ,star,and prove you are still a prospect who the club can Relybon forvsuccess ONCE FULLY READY forvthe grind ofvtough NHL completion among experienced top men NHL pros.

So if notvreadyvto realkyvstar andvorodice night after night...if he has indeed hitcthecrookievwall..Then better tobsendvhom back to play juniors or at least to the WJHC first then decide after his performance there what is the best situation forvhim and his development.

I do not like the Hawks saying it looks like he is staying and not going to the WJHC.

So we shall see..if he still is in a scoring slump by the time team Canada is ready to go to the WJHCthen Hawks probably announcevthey arevback-tracking and will loan him...that would be good.. but it does make them look silly for their prior false statement he was staying and not going...it calksvinto question if they really know what to do in developing players.
If you can't be bothered to spell check it, I can't be bothered to read it.

Reactions: Hawks AJL

asa

Mar 3, 2014
Has there been any talk of Dach being loaned to Canada. I know Colliton had all but said it isnt happening, just curious if there has been anymore chatter

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Has there been any talk of Dach being loaned to Canada. I know Colliton had all but said it isnt happening, just curious if there has been anymore chatter
We'd find out next week if it were to happen

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
No Niklas Nordgren in Finland's U20 WJC's training camp roster.
This means that Nordgren will miss U20 WJC's.
But that's not surprise his return to games happened too late ( mid / late November )

Saarela is Finland's U20 WJC training camp roster.
So at least one Finnish Blackhawk prospect can play U2O WJC's this year.

Last edited:

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
it makes zero sense for dach to not go to this tournament. hes on a losing team not getting minutes hes elc is arleady burned no matter what. i hope they let him go dominate get that confidence feel the puck, play in a winning environment, and play minutes. i think it really helps these guys for the future.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I'm not that knowledgable about the whole pro player angle. I do know a bit having billeting USHL players and having them loaned for international tourneys, but for this one...

I know the World Juniors are a big deal, but what's the contractual element to it? Are GMs/Coaches/Owners/Agents cool with sending players to what amounts to a meaningless tournaments (in the larger NHL season) and risking injury ala Tavares in the Olympics?

Outside of promoting that player from a marketing and merch standpoint, what's the real upside for the NHL team that he's part of?

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Here's the tweet announcing it

Very much looking forward to this.

Ducky (Mastrosimone) is a good friend of our family. Awesome kid and great hockey player! Will be rooting hard for him.

Also know Regula a bit from his days on the Chicago Steel. Super excited to see him (as a Hawks prospect as well).

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Very much looking forward to this.

Ducky (Mastrosimone) is a good friend of our family. Awesome kid and great hockey player! Will be rooting hard for him.

Also know Regula a bit from his days on the Chicago Steel. Super excited to see him (as a Hawks prospect as well).
thats cool. iv seen mastrosimone quite a few times for steel games. this big ice should set up perfect for him if he makes the team. look forward to watching.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
thats cool. iv seen mastrosimone quite a few times for steel games. this big ice should set up perfect for him if he makes the team. look forward to watching.
Yep. We've billeted Steel for 4 years. Been a great experience and my 3 boys absolutely love it! We've gotten to know many of the kids and their families very well in that time.

For their parents, it's lots of games in the stands and beers at Chelios. For the players, it's lots of my wife making tons of Costco runs to feed them and them camped out in my basement playing LOTS of Fortnite.

Ducky is a really really nice kid and will be great to see him go far. Bummer when he got hurt in the Clark Cup finals and then in RW camp. Glad he's back!

His SportsCenter hilight goal is still a thing of beauty!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad