Post-Game Talk: World Junior Championships 2020 in the Czech Republic: Canada Wins 2020 Gold

Who are your three podium teams?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Nice job from the Canadian squad. I told my wife at the WJC showcase, after watching them dismantle the U.S. and Sweden"that's the gold winner this year".

I'm not sure how he'll be as as a pro, but at this level Akil Thomas has been a very solid and under-rated performer.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
More of the player running head first into a wall than a hit.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
No one is saying it's the reason they didn't win, but it would have certainly increased their chances to tie the game.

Ok sure

They had an incredible opportunity as it was.

They then continued to have an opportunity but chose to take two terrible penalties late

That's it

Oh well

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I love the people complaining about a bad call costing Russia the game, doubtful they were complaining with 4 straight powerplays in the first period. Also doubtful when the Russian goalie channeled his inner Hasek and performer a masterful flop trying to draw a penalty when his own player hit him.
Russia lost and they deserved to lose deal with it.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Onto the Red Wings prospects.
Veleno had a strong tournament. He was great on the faceoffs and excellent on the PK. His offensive game was just not there, like in GR he is snakebitten. I am not sure if he will ever be more than a really good third line center which is fine. But Detroit will need a better 2nd line center option to compete with the strong center depth in the Atlantic.

McIsaac also had a strong tournament. Other than the round robin game against Russia when he was terrible he played well. Again good defensively and strong on the PK. He knows how to play defense and blocks a lot of shots. I think someday he will be the perfect partner for Hronek on the 2nd pairing. I am a big fan of him and think he will be another Brad Stuart for Detroit.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Them not scoring on the power play does not excuse bad calls.

of course not but it's also not the reason they didnt win

It was the right call based on the IIHF rulebook. Camera is included as a structure attached to the glass and if the puck hits it its not a penalty. The refs got it right with not calling that delay of game.

As for the tourney, I thought Veleno was really good all tournament. Hes a sick skater and can carry the puck better than anyone in the tournament it seemed like. Did a little bit of everything and led Canada in minutes for forwards by large amounts every game. If he doesnt become a scorer at the next level hes still going to be a really useful player I think.

McIsaac I didnt like that much this year. I didnt really like any of Canadas D but you could tell McIsaac was rusty out there. He made some nice passes and a couple big hits but he had some brain farts too.

Seider was the best dman at the tourney, if they dont get into the relegation round he woulda won it. Hes gonna be so fun to watch laying out guys in the new NHL where a lot of players wont have an answer for him

Berggren was solid as well. He didnt absolutely light it up but he also didnt get a lot of PP time either.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Wasn't disappointed with any Wings prospect. But definitely reinforces my belief that Veleno will be basically like peak Draper. Good for 0.3-0.5 ppg, Selke defense, and good on faceoffs.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Wasn't disappointed with any Wings prospect. But definitely reinforces my belief that Veleno will be basically like peak Draper. Good for 0.3-0.5 ppg, Selke defense, and good on faceoffs.

Veleno had like 5 pts in 7 games, while being snake bitten in several games. His offence was fine, but he shone defensively in this tournament, which was likely his role in the first place, seeing as Hunter played him a ton.

Can't believe blaming the refs for Russia's loss. They had 4 of the first 5 power-plays and 5 of the first 7, with two of them for sure absolutely weak calls. Also where was the ridiculous diving call on their goalie as he was getting scored on? He was definitely going for 5 or 6 Oscar's with his tumble after his own guy bumped into him. Also trying to draw a goalie interference for overturning a goal, when his own defenders skate slightly interfered with him. I also enjoyed how the captain who called out Hayton for the helmet just a week ago, takes an embarrassing penalty at the end of the game, because he came unglued.

If you want to watch some great flopping, go watch Canada vs Slovakia, as the Slovaks were soccer acting on a lot of plays in the quarters.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
But definitely reinforces my belief that Veleno will be basically like peak Draper. Good for 0.3-0.5 ppg, Selke defense, and good on faceoffs.

He is quite good finisher on slot area. Will score a lot more than Draper thanks to PP time. I see a lot of (prime + healthy) Stephen Weiss in him.

Reactions: DInTheB

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Who do you like at 4th, since the odds are higher Wings pick 4th than top 3.

You kind of have to take Byfield, if those three are gone first.

Stutzle/Raymond/Byfield are very close, I just hate to see how superior Lafreniere was compared to any of them.

So far it's:

1. Lafreniere

2. Byfield (Center position most valuable)
3. Stutzle (has center potential)
4. Raymond (Rh winger, good fit for us)

5. Rest of the class.

Reactions: Lil Bert

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
What's the rule? I can't find it.

upload_2020-1-6_1-36-21-png.303515

Theres pictures of the camera actually hanging over the ice as well, its mounted directly to the glass. This post below is from the Liigas head official who was an IIHF ref for years including doing the finals of the world championships. He says the cameras are deemed structural basically and that the refs made the right call in this game

According to Liiga head of refereeing Jyri Rönn, in IIHF tournaments there won't be a delay of game penalty if the puck hits a camera or a microphone attached to the rink structures.

Uutta: MM-finaalin visainen tilanne ei ollut suomalaistuomarien virhe – Kanadalaiskamera torjui kiekon ja pelasti Kanadan

Also said that it doesn't matter if the structure is inside or outside the airspace of the rink. This rule doesn't exist in Finland because we don't have such structures in place at Liiga rinks.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
upload_2020-1-6_1-36-21-png.303515

Theres pictures of the camera actually hanging over the ice as well, its mounted directly to the glass. This post below is from the Liigas head official who was an IIHF ref for years including doing the finals of the world championships. He says the cameras are deemed structural basically and that the refs made the right call in this game

That says above the ice surface.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad