Post-Game Talk: World Junior Championships 2020 in the Czech Republic: Canada Wins 2020 Gold

Who are your three podium teams?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Guys to be on watched at U20 tournament:

Own picks.
- RD Moritz Seider, GER (2019)
- LW Robert Mastrosimone (2019) US camp invite
- C Joe Veleno, CAN (2018)
- LD Jared McIsaac, CAN (2018)
- LW Jonatan Berggren, SWE (2018)
- G Jesper Eliasson, SWE (2018)
- W Otto Kivenmäki, FIN (2018)

Possible 2020 Top4 picks:
- LW Alexis Lafreniere, CAN
- C Quinton Byfield, CAN
- RW Lucas Raymond, SWE
- W Alexander Holtz, SWE
- C Anton Lundell, FIN (uncertain to participate, still injured)
- G Jaroslav Askarov, RUS
- LW Tim Stutzle, GER
- RD Jamie Drysdale, CAN

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Wish Germany wasn't in the group of death, really tough draw.

I do like the German's chances to avoid relegation.

If Kazakhstan can find a way by Slovakia, we might see them go down this year in my opinion. Not saying it is likely, but man has Slovak hockey fallen on hard times, that would be a really tough next step.

I think Canada will play Russia for Gold this year. Going to wait for the teams to absolutely pick, but I think Askarov in net will be a handful for the teams at this level. But maybe Finland, Sweden or USA surprise me in the preliminaries and I start to like them more.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
McIsaac hasn't even played this year, I am surprised he got an invite to the tourney. I know he is good, but having no games played yet makes this weird to me.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Has played 3 games and 0+2.

Really? I just checked EP or QMJHL site (not sure which one) the other day, and it had him with just last years stats, so I thought he had not returned from his injury yet.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I think Sweden may have the best team, but I went with Finland to get a podium over them due to lucky bounces and Finland tends to be a very well coached team.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
So it’s official:

Canada - Veleno, McIsaac
Sweden - Berggren, Eliasson
Germany - Seider

These guys are going to be fed a lot of ice time and given a ton of responsibility. Here’s to hoping we come away with a few medals and some impressive performances!

Does anyone know the status of captains and such? I’m assuming Seider gets the C. I’d expect Veleno and McIsaac to wear letters too.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
So it’s official:

Canada - Veleno, McIsaac
Germany - Seider

These guys are going to be fed a lot of ice time and given a ton of responsibility. Here’s to hoping we come away with a few medals and some impressive performances!

Does anyone know the status of captains and such? I’m assuming Seider gets the C. I’d expect Veleno and McIsaac to wear letters too.

I'm thinking Canada will elect to go with a group of Veleno, Smith and Lafreniere to wear letters, with the first two being the leaders for the C

Reactions: mantha39

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Pre Tourney Games:
Dec 20th: SWE/CZE
Dec 21st: FIN/GER
Dec 22nd: USA/SWE
Dec 23rd: CAN/FIN
Dec 23rd: USA/GER

Not sure of their stream availability, pretty sure Team Canada will be streamed on TSN.

Reactions: mantha39

Hughes Hefner

May 12, 2018
Not to happy with USA recent cut's. I thought Ryan Johnson was there best defenseman at the showcase in Plymouth over the summer. Jon Gruden a local Detroit kid would have been a perfect in a bottom six role and on the pk and is a real responsible player. Also bummed not having the chance to watch Mastrosimone play...

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio
So it’s looks like preliminary games are gonna be at 9am or 1pm est in the states but then there kinda all over the place for elimination games later in the tourney.

Works out for me as I work 2nd shift!

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
So it’s official:

Canada - Veleno, McIsaac
Germany - Seider

Seider with gold

Reactions: Realgud

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
According to Satakunnan Kansa , the reason for sending Kivenmäki to his home is partly because of the attacker's attitude, which has not pleased head coach Raimo Helminen .
The problems began already in January when Kivenmäki dropped out of the national team tournament due to a need for rest. The attacker sent the information to the union via email, even though the absences should have been reported personally to Helminen. After that, the head coach tried calling to get the Ace attacker, but to no avail.
On the other hand, Kivenmäki was quite silent about the events of the World Championships.
- I don't really know what I dare say. That's where the final team will be informed at some point. I myself am not involved in it, Kivenmäki told the Satakunta People.
According to the newspaper, HIFK striker Anton Lundell's situation has also taken a surprising turn. The promise has begun to recover more quickly than expected, so it is still possible that the youngster will be seen at the World Cup. Earlier, Helminen told the media that this is highly unlikely.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm excited to watch Germany. Have not known where to rank Stutzle because I have not seen him play enough. This tournament should help me get a feel for him, excited to watch him and Seider play.

Will be nice to watch Veleno and McIsaac have a big role for Canada. Having 2 prospects on the top line for Canada is usually a good sign. This tournament should help me decide the #3 prospect. Good chance to compare Raymond, Askarov, Drysdale, and Stutzle. Currently I'm not sure who I like best of that group. I am expecting a big tournament from Raymond.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I'm excited to watch Germany. Have not known where to rank Stutzle because I have not seen him play enough. This tournament should help me get a feel for him, excited to watch him and Seider play.

Will be nice to watch Veleno and McIsaac have a big role for Canada. Having 2 prospects on the top line for Canada is usually a good sign. This tournament should help me decide the #3 prospect. Good chance to compare Raymond, Askarov, Drysdale, and Stutzle. Currently I'm not sure who I like best of that group. I am expecting a big tournament from Raymond.
Don't forget Holtz ;)

Reactions: hkydave04

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Guys to be on watched at U20 tournament:

Own picks.
- RD Moritz Seider, GER (2019)
- LW Robert Mastrosimone (2019) US camp invite
- C Joe Veleno, CAN (2018)
- LD Jared McIsaac, CAN (2018)
- LW Jonatan Berggren, SWE (2018)
- G Jesper Eliasson, SWE (2018)
- W Otto Kivenmäki, FIN (2018)

Possible 2020 Top4 picks:
- LW Alexis Lafreniere, CAN
- C Quinton Byfield, CAN
- RW Lucas Raymond, SWE
- W Alexander Holtz, SWE
- C Anton Lundell, FIN (uncertain to participate, still injured)
- G Jaroslav Askarov, RUS
- LW Tim Stutzle, GER
- RD Jamie Drysdale, CAN

was going to say where is rossi, but seems Austria doesn't have a ticket to the dance.

Last edited:

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Good player, but not really what I’m looking for in this draft. I’m prioritizing puck possession drivers in this draft for Detroit. Guys like Raymond, Stutzle, Perfetti, Rossi, etc. are what I’m most interested in.
Understandable. There are so many good options for the top 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad