GDT: World Junior Championships 2013 - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
PLayers need to respect themselves. stop staring down at the puck.

Something that I thought I noticed throughout the game is that it seemed like, when someone was coming straight in to deliver a hit, the Slovaks seemed to always duck into the hit, which is the worst thing you can do as far as keeping yourself from being hurt.

Maybe it was just me, though. :laugh:

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Something that I thought I noticed throughout the game is that it seemed like, when someone was coming straight in to deliver a hit, the Slovaks seemed to always duck into the hit, which is the worst thing you can do as far as keeping yourself from being hurt.

I noticed early in the first one of them ducked as a Canadian came in to hit him along the boards. Obviously it's not nice to get hit, but it's going to happen... might as well take the full brunt of it to reduce chance of injury.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Rielly's been the best defenseman on the team in the tourney so far quite easily, IMO. Hamilton's been shakey, we all know how bad Murphy's been and Reinhart and Wotherspoon have been solid defensively, but not overly flashy, though Wotherspoon has a couple nice assists setting up breakaways. Maybe there's some argument to be made for Harrington, but he doesn't really have the O that Rielly has.

I disagree. I think Harrington has been the best.

A great example for the rest of the team who have been suspect defensively.

Rielly is 2nd place in my book.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Please see my main board thread about the ballerina IIHF league.

We as Canadians need to raise awareness that we want to see our juniors play hockey and not Russian ballet

Rielly Good

May 13, 2009
London, ON

Its not just slovaks, its most european hockey players not in the NHL

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011

Unfortunately, it's a result of culture change in hockey. Players seem to ignore protecting themselves a lot more often, and trust that the rules will protect them.

kamosko

Ginger Jesus
Jun 18, 2010
Girouxsalem
Murphy double shifted with Hamilton on the top pairing last game in a 9-3 win, got big minutes this game in a 6-3 win and yet has no points still :laugh:

Rielly leading Team Canada d in points, or tied but he should have 4 :yo:

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011

I don't think it's an issue exclusive to Europeans. There are enough instances of NHL players turning into the boards to try to avoid a hit to refute that claim.

Hall is a great example of a player who knowingly puts himself into vulnerable positions quite often (Doughty's hipcheck to Hall's head, etc). Our very own Grabovski is another.

Last edited:

Rielly Good

May 13, 2009
London, ON
Murphy double shifted with Hamilton on the top pairing last game in a 9-3 win, got big minutes this game in a 6-3 win and yet has no points still :laugh:

Rielly leading Team Canada d in points, or tied but he should have 4 :yo:

I think he has an assist. cause he was the one who shot riellys pass and strome picked it up went around and went to the slot and fired it home.

But yeah he isnt playing well offensively. and is hideous on D. Spott needs to end this experiment.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario

I disagree. It was something I had never seen before from any team. If they saw the attacker coming towards them in a hitting position, they immediately put their head down to take the hit. I'm not sure if it was an attempt to try and get penalties, but it was extremely dangerous.

I don't think it's an issue exclusive to Europeans. There are enough instances of NHL players turning into the boards to try to avoid a hit to refute that claim.

Hall is a great example of a player who knowingly puts himself into vulnerable positions quite often (Doughty's hipcheck to Hall's head, etc). Our very own Grabovski is another.

That's not the type of action i was talking about. Turning away from a hit is much different than ducking into one. Turning away from a hit is a natural action of evasion to take and not something I have a problem with at all. IMO, we need to teach players to react to that action like we teach them to react to a goalie's poke-check on a breakaway. So many times the hit from behind when someone turns away towards the boards happens in easily enough time to at least let up enough to prevent serious injury, but the attacker instead continues to steamroll through the player.

Ducking into a hit, on the other hand, in something that is much harder to react to, as it's a single part of the player's body (head) that is moving, instead of the whole body as happens when they turn away from a hit. I've never played at a high level myself so I can't say for sure, but I'd imagine the hitter is not looking at the head when they throw a hit, or at least they shouldn't be.

Rielly Good

May 13, 2009
London, ON

Fair enough. Pk Subban is bad for it too. can throw all the hits, but when a hit is coming to him he turtles.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
That's not the type of action i was talking about. Turning away from a hit is much different than ducking into one. Turning away from a hit is a natural action of evasion to take and not something I have a problem with at all. IMO, we need to teach players to react to that action like we teach them to react to a goalie's poke-check on a breakaway. So many times the hit from behind when someone turns away towards the boards happens in easily enough time to at least let up enough to prevent serious injury, but the attacker instead continues to steamroll through the player.

Ducking into a hit, on the other hand, in something that is much harder to react to, as it's a single part of the player's body (head) that is moving, instead of the whole body as happens when they turn away from a hit. I've never played at a high level myself so I can't say for sure, but I'd imagine the hitter is not looking at the head when they throw a hit, or at least they shouldn't be.

The end result is the same. They both knowingly put themselves into a vulnerable position. The fact that one of these scenarios is considered to be a "natural action of evasion" is a huge problem, IMO.

Sam Slick*

Please see my main board thread about the ballerina IIHF league.

We as Canadians need to raise awareness that we want to see our juniors play hockey and not Russian ballet

I agree. Camara's hit was as clean as it comes for such a hard hit. The slovak was looking down. Every angle showed it was a clean hit and the ref would not have given a penalty if the guy got up. Sad really.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't know what is so good about Ryan Murphy, he thinks he's the only player on the ice, barely passes the puck on good opportunities and still gets top minutes...

I hope the coach is just trying to get him out of a funk against easier teams. You can't expect to win when you give Murphy big minutes against teams like Sweden and Russia etc.

If he can't get it going, it's time to lower his workload.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
This board was so gross in Murphy's draft year. 3/4 of you guys were changing your shorts twice a day, watching his highlights, homering hard on him, and a few of us saw it... The puck hogging, the tunnel vision, poor defensive play... But no, we were wrong!

Bahahaha. Alright, I'll stop being the "told you so" guy.

But seriously....

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I honestly don't think Murphy will be a solid NHL player. If he makes it it will be in a role similar to MA Bergeron's. Just my opinion obviously.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I agree. Camara's hit was as clean as it comes for such a hard hit. The slovak was looking down. Every angle showed it was a clean hit and the ref would not have given a penalty if the guy got up. Sad really.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=412360

The Canadian squad, already missing forward Boone Jenner who served the second game of a three-game suspension, could potentially have 11 forwards for their game against the U.S. if Lipon is disciplined with any games missed. The IIHF indicated after the game that there will be no supplementary discipline review for Camara.

Keep in mind that many of these players are kids and the IIHF is trying to protect them.

The IIHF has already cleared Camara, and probably put safety first, even at the expense of clean hits.

Is Lipon the player who threw the knee the other day?

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
Just finished the game. Rielly is a beast, he had a couple really nice plays defensively too rubbing guys out on the wall and playing with an active stick. Obviously he was a monster offensively, love the way he moves the puck d to d, such firm quick passes right on the tape every time.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
What was Reilly's ice time this game? Can't keep the cream down!

Considerably more than in the first game. He received 2-3 shifts in the first period, and not much time in the 2nd, prior to his goal. After that he was on the ice fairly regularly for the remainder of the 2nd. I think his icetime dropped slightly in the 3rd.

All in all, he had around 12 mins or so if I had to guess.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
And LOL, to whoever said Galchenyuk can't skate.

Don't quit your day job for scouting... Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad