Pre-Game Talk: World Junior Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I don't find it surprising at all. he was one of Canada's best players in the u18 last year scoring a hat trick in the bronze medal game. Team Canada brass don't forget things like this.

And the game winning goal in the subway series.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
The skating thing is completely ridiculous given the team Gaunce used to play for. He has earned his solid defensive reputation on big ice despite his skating so I don't see why it should become an issue all of a sudden. He's also far more likely to chip in offensively than Gauthier.

But anyway, neither would be a big loss in the big picture.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Shink will make it if he can prove he isn't too labored by the hip injury. Sutter loves him and for once it seems like HC politics worked in our favour.

Horvat will dominate.

Also, a big hearty laugh at Oilers fans crying over Nurse. They were among the biggest detractors of Corrado on the team last year because he was a 5th rounder, yet was as good as any defenceman at the camp. Goes to show that draft position only means a lot when you have a stupid coach (Spott).

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Don't know why some flame fans are so surprised at Shinkaruk over Poirier, I take the guy with 100 goals in the dub every time

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Don't know why some flame fans are so surprised at Shinkaruk over Poirier, I take the guy with 100 goals in the dub every time

Flames fans are just sour that their team passed him by so they defend it by claiming he's overrated... after all, their management didn't value him so he must not be good. :laugh:

avelanch

Feb 9, 2010
Flames fans are just sour that their team passed him by so they defend it by claiming he's overrated... after all, their management didn't value him so he must not be good. :laugh:
yeah, everyone knows that the flames are known for their amazing drafting...

Defeatist*

Haha I love all the bitterness from flames fans at calgarypuck over shinkaruk making it!

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
As uh off the board the Flames have been with a few of their picks I don't think we're in any position to be taking potshots at them for their drafting.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Shink will make it if he can prove he isn't too labored by the hip injury. Sutter loves him and for once it seems like HC politics worked in our favour.

Horvat will dominate.

Also, a big hearty laugh at Oilers fans crying over Nurse. They were among the biggest detractors of Corrado on the team last year because he was a 5th rounder, yet was as good as any defenceman at the camp. Goes to show that draft position only means a lot when you have a stupid coach (Spott).

Corrado was good enough to play in the NHL playoffs last year, but not good enough for team Canada? LOL

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Surprised Mark Jankowski didn't make it either. I thought he was supposed to be better than Crosby? :sarcasm:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The Team has an interview with Horvat coming up immediately, so they say.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
The WHL is a beast at producing defensemen. It still grinds my gears we took Mallet over Severson.

It grinds my gears more that we didnt take a flier on Jamie Benn in the 2007 draft when hes from BC and played in BC. Huge player who lit up the league even tho it was the BCHL. Our top 6 for the future could have been. Sedin-Sedin-Kesler. Benn-Horvat- Shinkaruk. Cup pls

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
It grinds my gears more that we didnt take a flier on Jamie Benn in the 2007 draft when hes from BC and played in BC. Huge player who lit up the league even tho it was the BCHL. Our top 6 for the future could have been. Sedin-Sedin-Kesler. Benn-Horvat- Shinkaruk. Cup pls
I suspect the team may be regretting that entire draft. P White, Ellington...not one player has played one NHL game from that Canuck's draft year. Brutal.
EDIT: Taylor Matson played one game for the Wild this year.
The total draft class for us only managed 65 AHL games!

Last edited:

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC

Benn, Lucic, Gallagher, Bozak, Barrie.

The talent was there, we just didn't go for it.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
As uh off the board the Flames have been with a few of their picks I don't think we're in any position to be taking potshots at them for their drafting.

No, it's about our guys making it over their guys and shoving it in their faces no?

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
It seems a propensity to take penalties may have been seen as a real negative by the selection committee. Several of the notable omissions in Nurse, Poirier and Domi seem to be penalty prone.

Yup. Saw Nurse live only a couple of times but that propensity for dumb buttocks penalties was the first thing I noticed. I understand Domi is the same way. Took team Canada long enough to grasp this simple principle when assembling rosters.

Also, no real surprise about Gaunce and Shinkaruk. Sutter is a straight shooter and made his opinion on the former known a while back on Van radio, but he likes Hunter (who always produced for him in SSS) well enough so I doubt he's one of the three to get cut.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

The BCHL is a tricky league to draft from to be fair. I am not happy with out WHL scouting in general, but people have to realize that every team has scouts everywhere. It isn't as big of an advantage as it used to be to see kids "in your own backyard" so to speak. All teams are aware of them, and are scouted heavily. A lot of these guys were late round picks, in which even the team that drafted them didn't value him highly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad