OT: World Cup

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Flag_of_Germany.svg

Ron*

I fell asleep :laugh:

So did I. Not sure why you guys thought it was a good game...Other than all the missed opportunities by Argentina, that part was interesting but if the announcer hadn't have screamed like he did I would have completely missed the Germany goal because I was dozing.

Thought for sure this was headed for penalty kicks which I absolutely cannot stand, think its a joke, so even though I was pulling for Argentina I am glad it ended on an authentic note.

TheSentinel

Mar 4, 2013
WhereTheKingsReign
So did I. Not sure why you guys thought it was a good game...Other than all the missed opportunities by Argentina, that part was interesting but if the announcer hadn't have screamed like he did I would have completely missed the Germany goal because I was dozing.

Thought for sure this was headed for penalty kicks which I absolutely cannot stand, think its a joke, so even though I was pulling for Argentina I am glad it ended on an authentic note.

This^

and good god, was the rolling around the pitch for 2 mins after you failed to successfully tackle needed?

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I am still wondering why you guys keep watching it. The players dive too much and its boring.

Just stick to hockey because you will never understand it.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
I am still wondering why you guys keep watching it. The players dive too much and its boring.

although the amount of diving in this sport is absurd, it's not boring at all

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Agreed, I just respond on the people who fell asleep.

I like this sport with moments and have been a passionate football fan since 1984. I couldnt take it anymore (diving, cards, unfair competition between the leagues) and became an even bigger hockey fan. I never thought I rather would see the Kings lift the cup instead of Feyenoord winning the championship but it happened.

This world cup was a joy to watch though, mostly the groupstages.

Some just dont understand it's different to stand on your feet and play a game of 120 minutes compared to playing a game on skates. Im sure some have never played this sport (football) on a decent level.

Last edited:

Ron*

Agreed, I just respond on the people who fell asleep.

I like this sport with moments and have been a passionate football fan since 1984. I couldnt take it anymore (diving, cards, unfair competition between the leagues) and became an even bigger hockey fan. I never thought I rather would see the Kings lift the cup instead of Feyenoord winning the championship but it happened.

This world cup was a joy to watch though, mostly the groupstages.

Some just dont understand it's different to stand on your feet and play a game of 120 minutes compared to playing a game on skates. Im sure some have never played this sport (football) on a decent level.

One can understand the game and still find it boring. I've been watching the World Cup since 1982 and watching pro soccer in the USA since its inception with the L.A. Aztecs in the NASL. I'm sorry if you are upset that I fell asleep, but watching players passing the ball back and forth in their own zone for minutes at a time, waiting to wear the other team out or look for that one good chance every 20 minutes is boring, as witnessed by the voluminous whistling and jeering in the stands. Would you say that those fans who whistle and jeer don't understand the game as well?

Someone needs to dismount from their high horse.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity

No, :laugh: it does get quite boring at times (over half the game is boring!)

Soccer needs a backcourt rule like basketball. Once you control the ball in the offensive zone, you cannot pass it back to a teammate past the center line. If you do, the opposing team gets a free kick from 45 yds away, and 5 yds closer every time it happens....

... or some other penalty that makes sense.

The defensive play makes it unwatchable.

Yesterday was the most soccer I've watched in my life and I was dozing off several times.

Well, it also needs an blue line/offsides line like hockey, but that's another thread.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
One can understand the game and still find it boring. I've been watching the World Cup since 1982 and watching pro soccer in the USA since its inception with the L.A. Aztecs in the NASL. I'm sorry if you are upset that I fell asleep, but watching players passing the ball back and forth in their own zone for minutes at a time, waiting to wear the other team out or look for that one good chance every 20 minutes is boring, as witnessed by the voluminous whistling and jeering in the stands. Would you say that those fans who whistle and jeer don't understand the game as well?

Someone needs to dismount from their high horse.
Its like I said, some will never understand the game.

Nice overreaction too.

I seriously doubt you have been watching the WC since 82. I think you are talking out of your *** Ron, because than you should know something about tactics and how the game has changed. That you need two to tango etc etc.

Passing back the ball back and forth in their own zone for minutes at a time, waiting to wear the other team out. Are you serious ?? You think thats the reason ?

Last edited:

Ron*

Its like I said, some will never understand the game.

Nice overreaction too.

I seriously doubt you have been watching the WC since 82. I think you are talking out of your *** Ron, because than you should know something about tactics and how the game has changed. That you need two to tango etc etc.

Passing back the ball back and forth in their own zone for minutes at a time, waiting to wear the other team out. Are you serious ?? You think thats the reason ?

Deal-breaker. This post doesn't dignify a response on my part if you are going to doubt my word.

I'm done with you on this thread.

xavi4life

Mr. Irreverent
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
The game got boring because the players were exhausted. So much training, so many games, etc took their toll. Looked like the fresh legs of Goetze and Schurrle (who are both 22 and 23 yo) made the difference at the end.

Congrats tio Germany and Adidas giving the Golden Ball to an undeserving Messi just tarnishes the trophy.

TheSentinel

Mar 4, 2013
WhereTheKingsReign
The game got boring because the players were exhausted. So much training, so many games, etc took their toll. Looked like the fresh legs of Goetze and Schurrle (who are both 22 and 23 yo) made the difference at the end.

Congrats tio Germany and Adidas giving the Golden Ball to an undeserving Messi just tarnishes the trophy.

I'm sorry but when a team can play without rolling on the floor for 2 minutes to kill off injury time, i'm sure it could have yielded 2 attacks from Argentina (doubt they would have worked,) I think that's a bit of more of a black mark.

Messi is undeserving of the golden ball? Now you're just talking crazy. Of the games I saw Argentina play Messi went up against 4 (FOUR) players of the opposing team and basically dangle all of them. If that isn't deserving of some recognition i don't know what is. In a close game at the end it would be a coin toss of which team gets it and he should be respected.

Mitchnesses

Hunk of Monkey Love
Jun 7, 2004
Orange County, CA

In the earlier rounds, there was a lot more diving. Those teams got eliminated. The the excpetion of Germany's 7-1 blowout in the semi-finals, the matches have been really good. Great defense and goaltending. Not unlike watching a Kings hockey game.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Soccer is like chess. It can be boring surely, but a lot of the "boring" things that people see are simply posturing for attacks, or trying to break down opposing defenses/structure. There is a reason why it's called "The Beautiful Game" and part of it is because it really can take 90 minutes for a team to figure it out tactically. Not to mention you have moments of absolute brilliance like the Gotze goal yesterday.

It's an incredibly methodical sport, probably the most methodical there is on a large scale, and that's why it can be hard to get into or described as boring. Yesterday's game was fantastic. It was definitely a futbol fan's game.

Captain Mittens*

Soccer is like chess. It can be boring surely, but a lot of the "boring" things that people see are simply posturing for attacks, or trying to break down opposing defenses/structure. There is a reason why it's called "The Beautiful Game" and part of it is because it really can take 90 minutes for a team to figure it out tactically. Not to mention you have moments of absolute brilliance like the Gotze goal yesterday.

It's an incredibly methodical sport, probably the most methodical there is on a large scale, and that's why it can be hard to get into or described as boring. Yesterday's game was fantastic. It was definitely a futbol fan's game.
this is a very good summation, but soccer needs more scoring if it is every going to gain real traction in America.

I think they should make the goals bigger

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
I think they should make the goals bigger

I think they should blindfold the goalies. I also think there should be more diving.

As for the game, I enjoyed it. It had enough scoring chances, and plenty of near misses to keep me interested. I'm not a huge soccer fan at all, but I do like watching the important games.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008

Because I enjoy playing it, Frolov 6'3, but quite often I don't really care for watching it. Especially after a tiring day of work.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Soccer is like chess. It can be boring surely, but a lot of the "boring" things that people see are simply posturing for attacks, or trying to break down opposing defenses/structure. There is a reason why it's called "The Beautiful Game" and part of it is because it really can take 90 minutes for a team to figure it out tactically.

A good comparison. And why exactly would I want to watch 2 people play chess? :shakehead

I don't know anyone who would call it a "Beautiful Game."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad